DidoofCarthage

On 2/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, ClaudiusRex said:

Accepted to PhD Classics at St. Andrews! Still waiting on results for Wolfson scholarship/general funding there, and Ertegun scholarship/Clarendon fund at Oxford. 

Congrats to Princeton and Harvard admits!!

Congratulations! St Andrews is paradise on earth. I was going to do my PhD there, but for this and that reason I'll be going with an American programme. If you have any questions about living/location/faculty/etc., please don't hesitate to DM me.

On 2/26/2019 at 4:48 PM, caecilius said:

Congrats! Have you visited St Andrews? I was there in the summer and loved it, the ocean is truly beautiful. I had a real θάλαττα θάλαττα moment! 

What took you there?

2 hours ago, Withnail said:

Congratulations! St Andrews is paradise on earth. I was going to do my PhD there, but for this and that reason I'll be going with an American programme. If you have any questions about living/location/faculty/etc., please don't hesitate to DM me.

What took you there?

I was there for Celtic Classics last year. 

On 2/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, ClaudiusRex said:

Accepted to PhD Classics at St. Andrews! Still waiting on results for Wolfson scholarship/general funding there, and Ertegun scholarship/Clarendon fund at Oxford. 

Congrats to Princeton and Harvard admits!!

Very many congratulations on both admits. Re: Ertegun - I think the end of March is when they usually notify. Fingers crossed for you over these next weeks.

Hey!  I would really appreciate it if anyone has any info on PhD applications to Cambridge or Columbia.  I have heard nothing back from either program–are they just behind, or should I be worried?

4 hours ago, Oulomenen said:

Hey!  I would really appreciate it if anyone has any info on PhD applications to Cambridge or Columbia.  I have heard nothing back from either program–are they just behind, or should I be worried?

I can't speak for Cambridge, but for Columbia I had my visit there about a month ago. However, I did accelerate that as I wanted to visit it along with another school. They certainly haven't sent out any results yet, at least as far as I can say, so I wouldn't lose hope.

19 hours ago, Oulomenen said:

All the interviews/visits for Columbia Classics have now been completed. They should be sending out offers soon. Classical Studies (CLST) at Columbia has already accepted and flown out their candidates. However, there could still be a waitlist/shortlist in operation!

5 hours ago, mtg98 said:

Hello. Does anyone know if Rutgers has sent out acceptances to the Phd program? Thanks in advance!

They've sent out initial offers but I don't think their whole process is done. I'm a current undergrad, feel free to PM me if I can be of service.

2 hours ago, emmaclassics19 said:

Out of curiosity, for those of you who has been accepted to Chicago, Michigan, Yale, etc., what have your stats been like?

I'm an international, so my stats may be skewed. I was lucky enough to get into 8 out of the 11 schools to which I applied, with 2 withdrawals and 1 rejection. 

GPA - 4.0 (B.A.) 

GRE - 170 V, 159 Q, 5.5 W 

I don't think that stats alone helped me through tough scrutiny, however. I believe that I was helped along by several peer-reviewed publications (both existing and accepted), including solo-authored chapters, and a large amount of conference presentations (> 10). I think advanced qualifications in two of the 'mandatory' modern languages were also useful, as was work experience as a research assistant for more than one professor.

Edit: By 'mandatory' I meant the languages in which candidates must pass exams to earn the PhD, not mandatory at the time of application. 

Edited by caecilius

3 hours ago, emmaclassics19 said:

Out of curiosity, for those of you who has been accepted to Chicago, Michigan, Yale, etc., what have your stats been like?

I was accepted to Yale and rejected by Princeton, Chicago, and Michigan. (Applied to 9 other programs through Philosophy and was accepted to 1, waitlisted by 1, still waiting on 1, and withdrew from 6.)

GPA: 3.99 // GRE: 170V/160Q/6.0AW // Language (semesters): Greek(6)/Latin(8)/German(3)

PM me if you want to take a look at my writing sample or SoP. Ultimately, I think I put together some good materials, but at the top schools fit (as perceived by the dept.) seemed to be the explanation for admissions results on my end. But one can only control one's own materials. 

Edited by Marcus_Aurelius

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, caecilius said:

I wonder what's going on, no reports on the results page, and surely they won't wait until April 14. 

Gained a lot info from this forum, so I decided to register and contribute something I know.

Columbia conducted some on-campus interviews, and has sent out at least 1 acceptance, one waitlisted that I know of for classics (not classical studies) a few days ago.

2 hours ago, Mereclassics said:

Gained a lot info from this forum, so I decided to register and contribute something I know.

Columbia conducted some on-campus interviews, and has sent out at least 1 acceptance, one waitlisted that I know of for classics (not classical studies) a few days ago.

Thanks for the update. I might just write and withdraw in that case. 

4 hours ago, caecilius said:

Thanks for the update. I might just write and withdraw in that case. 

I hope I didn’t mislead you, I just happen to know the situation of these two applicants, not necessarily mean that Columbia has finished  its classics phd process 

On 3/23/2019 at 12:28 AM, ImperatorGryphon said:

I didn't apply to Columbia but I wanted to extend this question a bit - has anybody heard from Rutgers for the PhD?

They sent out initial offers several weeks ago. It's possible they're not done, though, and I don't know what chances are like from someone who hasn't heard from them yet. (I'm a current undergrad.)

• 3 months later...