DidoofCarthage

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for days now. I thought I might share my own progress so far so as to encourage my fellow lurkers to share as well, that might take some of the anxiety off. 

Very worried about Berkeley as I see some interview/admits have been sent out but no news at all since I submitted. 

Interviews: Cambridge, Penn, Stanford, Yale (upcoming)

Admits: Oxford (MSt), was told at the beginning of Jan

Ancient historian here. I'd like to suggest that in this thread we specify whether we are discussing results from philology, ancient history, or archaeology programs. It's often the case, as I've encountered with friends also applying right now, that these sub-divisions release notifications at different paces. Following this rule would be good for our overall mission of reducing each others stress rather than making it 10x worse! (Who am I kidding, grad cafe is designed for beating yourself up!)

Anyways, here's what I know: I've had interviews with Penn and Michigan. I'm expecting to hear back with the good old yes/no/waitlist (fuck) from both in the next five days; very soon in the case of Michigan. Most of the other programs that I've applied to seem to orient more towards February notifications, so I'm cautiously hopeful there. And yeah, the Berkeley news is worry-worthy.

Best of luck to everyone. Truly!

7 minutes ago, Hellanicus said:

Ancient historian here. I'd like to suggest that in this thread we specify whether we are discussing results from philology, ancient history, or archaeology programs. It's often the case, as I've encountered with friends also applying right now, that these sub-divisions release notifications at different paces. Following this rule would be good for our overall mission of reducing each others stress rather than making it 10x worse! (Who am I kidding, grad cafe is designed for beating yourself up!)

Anyways, here's what I know: I've had interviews with Penn and Michigan. I'm expecting to hear back with the good old yes/no/waitlist (fuck) from both in the next five days; very soon in the case of Michigan. Most of the other programs that I've applied to seem to orient more towards February notifications, so I'm cautiously hopeful there. And yeah, the Berkeley news is worry-worthy.

Best of luck to everyone. Truly!

Good idea. I'm a philologist myself. May I please ask - where did you get the 5-day figure from Penn? Not doubting you, just curious as I'm waiting for news too.

Don't put too much stock in me saying that. I interviewed on January 17th and was told that they would make their decisions in about two weeks. "About two weeks" from my interview is in five days. Of course, we could hear either sooner or later, and very probably at different times considering the administrative divide between our programs.

Congrats to all those getting interviews and admits!! I interviewed with cornell early in january. They told me their committee would meet on 1/22 and would send out their decisions by the end of this week, but I haven't heard anything from them. Anyone else waiting on cornell?? (I'm an archaeologist)

On 1/16/2019 at 8:33 PM, Rafailz said:

So I think Chicago, Penn and Yale have sent notifications for their interviews. Has anyone heard from anyone else?

I received an interview request from Yale (on 1/16, to visit next week) but haven't heard from anywhere else. Someone from my program already interviewed at Penn.

(I do Ancient Philosophy and mainly applied to Philosophy programs, except that I applied to the joint Ancient Philosophy programs at Princeton, Yale, Chicago, and Michigan through the Classics department.)

Edited by Marcus_Aurelius

5 hours ago, caecilius said:

Has your friend heard from Penn? I’m getting antsy because I see that someone was notified for ancient history last week,  so I wonder whether all the Classics students have been admitted. 

Not that I know of, but I'm not sure. Will let you know if I hear.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:33 PM, caecilius said:

Has your friend heard from Penn? I’m getting antsy because I see that someone was notified for ancient history last week,  so I wonder whether all the Classics students have been admitted. 

To answer your question: he was told he'd hear by end of month but hasn't heard anything yet.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Penn. I applied for the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World (AAMW) PhD program. At this point I'm definitely expecting a rejection as the application was due in mid-December and I've not heard a word from anybody there.

I got an email yesterday from the department chair at Joukowsky inviting me to the prospective students' weekend! Definitely a very happy surprise. I didn't have any prior contact with POIs, no interviews, anything. It's not until March, so I guess I can relax a little bit until then.

St. Andrews and Oxford PhD programs also will not notify until March regarding funding, FYI.

Hey, finally got around to making an account.  Applied to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Princeton stateside, as well as Cambridge and Oxford abroad, all for PhDs in Classical Philology.  Have a somewhat strange research proposal that also delves into comparative lit and translation studies, so no idea how things will go.  Have heard nothing back and quiver daily with the fear of God.

Long time lurker, first time poster, ancient historian.

Applied to Penn and Yale PhD programs and Rutgers for their MA....so far, have heard only from Rutgers, and that basically to let me know they are just starting the admissions process now.  Bracing for the inevitable pair of rejections from the first two, and starting to look at some backup plans.  Maybe a Post-Bac year to better my languages (I have less than one year of Greek on the calendar, although I'll have completed four semesters' worth of classes by May) maybe a history department that doesn't focus on ancient history for an MA (many deadlines there are either later/rolling).

At this point I'd rather just hear so I can start planning.

Hey everyone, thought I'd get in on this.  Applied for Classics PhD programs at Berkeley, Chicago, Columbia, and Princeton.  Recently heard from Columbia and was invited to fly out in February; still waiting on word from the others (and getting nervous about Berkeley!).

Edited by nossis

The sense I’m getting is that Berkeley first round is only for their top-top applicants, and they’re only flying out the ones they’re pretty sure they can fund the first round, and are determining what packages they should get based on that visit. It still seems highly possible that Berkeley admits more. I didn’t apply to any Ivies except Princeton (for a myriad of reasons) but I was told by a senior faculty member that they probably wouldn’t make announcements until mid February. I received funded offers from Toronto and Washington this week. That only leaves Princeton...

2 hours ago, Sextus Propertius said:

The sense I’m getting is that Berkeley first round is only for their top-top applicants, and they’re only flying out the ones they’re pretty sure they can fund the first round, and are determining what packages they should get based on that visit. It still seems highly possible that Berkeley admits more. I didn’t apply to any Ivies except Princeton (for a myriad of reasons) but I was told by a senior faculty member that they probably wouldn’t make announcements until mid February. I received funded offers from Toronto and Washington this week. That only leaves Princeton...

Thank you for the info about Princeton. I have heard back from every program I applied to except Princeton, so I was starting to get discouraged, but now I can have a bit of hope. 

3 hours ago, Sextus Propertius said:

Do you know if they've been doing interviews at all?