Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi guys. I've seen people in other areas begin threads for the Fall 2019 applicants, so I figured I would start the Classics thread. I'm graduating in May and working on applying to a large variety of Masters and Ph.D programs related to Classical Archaeology. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2018 at 3:08 PM, DidoofCarthage said:

Hi guys. I've seen people in other areas begin threads for the Fall 2019 applicants, so I figured I would start the Classics thread. I'm graduating in May and working on applying to a large variety of Masters and Ph.D programs related to Classical Archaeology. 

*pops head in* Hey! I'm in a Classical Arch PhD program so let me know if you have any questions. I do like to make an appearance on the board from time to time to see if anyone applying is in need of some info. Good luck with your apps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! Finally decided to register as I graduated with my MPhil in June and will be applying to a number of PhD programs later this year. Most in the US, but at least one in the UK (Edinburgh). Best of luck to those working on their applications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 12:07 AM, DidoofCarthage said:

Where are you looking to apply? 

St Andrews, Boston, Cornell, Rutgers, UNC, UCLA—was thinking about Michigan but emails I've sent have been met with responses that felt somewhat like I was a fly being shooed.

Edited by Withnail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nicator said:

Hi all! Finally decided to register as I graduated with my MPhil in June and will be applying to a number of PhD programs later this year. Most in the US, but at least one in the UK (Edinburgh). Best of luck to those working on their applications.

Best of luck to you, as well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Withnail said:

St Andrews, Boston, Cornell, Rutgers, UNC, UCLA—was thinking about Michigan but emails I've sent have been met with responses that felt somewhat like I was a fly being shooed.

Those are straight to Ph.D. programs, right? I've thought about UNC and Michigan but haven't made my mind up yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DidoofCarthage said:

Best of luck to you, as well! 

I'll probably need it, so thanks! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2018 at 9:47 PM, DidoofCarthage said:

Those are straight to Ph.D. programs, right? I've thought about UNC and Michigan but haven't made my mind up yet. 

Yeah, to the PhD programmes, but of course in the USA that means "straight into an MA for 2 years followed by 3 years of working on your PhD". It's a frustratingly long time to insist upon job training for a field that people are quick to say has no jobs—but if one gets into the right programme, then I think it sounds nothing short of delightful to have five years of job training in a town one enjoys surrounded by people who love classics, love research, etc.

I hate applications, though. Utterly nerve-wracking. I have an ominous feeling that the schools at which I would be happiest—and who are doing the research I most admire—might be the ones who slam the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, after a bit of lurking I finally decided to make an account here. I'm mostly applying to History programs, but since my speciality is ancient-history and byzantine studies, I'm also applying to a few classics programs. OSU at this point is what I'm hoping for so that I can work with Antony Kaldellis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Classics friends! I'm applying to Classics programs with an emphasis in archaeology. So far I've had a couple of informal interviews with POIs at Cornell, who told me that they expect to make offers by the end of the month. This wait is killing me!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wait for Ohio State's letters to come out is killing me. I feel good about my application, but to see every department in the humanities seemingly already having released their results EXCEPT for classics is going to be the death of me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, The Last Byzantine said:

The wait for Ohio State's letters to come out is killing me. I feel good about my application, but to see every department in the humanities seemingly already having released their results EXCEPT for classics is going to be the death of me. 

I second that sentiment. And best of luck. It is helpful to see another person who is also interested in post-classical history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, heard back from Cornell--I got rejected. ? I got a personal email from a POI I had corresponded and interviewed with. The reason is my lack of adequate language training. I wasn't a Classics major as an undergrad, so didn't take any of the ancient languages then. I'm only now taking ancient Greek because I'm working at a college that lets me take a class for free every semester; I also took an online course in French for reading and translation. I'm just frustrated because I feel like I have so many other strengths, but this stupid language thing is going to haunt me for a long time. Sigh.

Not to sound like I'm digging on philologists--truly not my intention.

Edited by ClaudiusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ClaudiusRex said:

Well, heard back from Cornell--I got rejected. ? I got a personal email from a POI I had corresponded and interviewed with. The reason is my lack of adequate language training. I wasn't a Classics major as an undergrad, so didn't take any of the ancient languages then. I'm only now taking ancient Greek because I'm working at a college that lets me take a class for free every semester; I also took an online course in French for reading and translation. I'm just frustrated because I feel like I have so many other strengths, but this stupid language thing is going to haunt me for a long time. Sigh.

Not to sound like I'm digging on philologists--truly not my intention.

I'm so sorry! Are you waiting to hear back from other programs? It sounds like we're in a similar boat. I'm also applying for classical archaeology programs and am not as prepared in the ancient languages as they seem to expect - if you don't mind me asking, what are the initials of your POI at Cornell? I'm still waiting to hear back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sent you a DM with the POI's name. I've applied to four other programs, none of which I am optimistic about lol.

Has anybody heard anything about Brown/Joukowsky Institute?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've applied to the Joukowsky Institute as well, but no word yet. So far, Cornell is the only school I've heard from for an interview. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.