Chemistry Fall 2019 cycle

AntiSpinel

5 hours ago, Army101 said:

Columbia is having their visit weekend right now and they have around 50 students. The next visit weekend is in March and apparently they already know that about 19 students are scheduled to visit. I know because I am doing a post-bac program at Columbia. If you haven't heard anything yet, it might not be good news. I think it will all depend on how this visit weekend goes.

Thank you for the reply. Does Columbia, or I guess any school, send acceptance letters after the first visitation weekend? Also, what do you mean exactly by “...depend on how this visit weekend goes”?

On 2/8/2019 at 4:38 PM, fernan said:

Thank you for the reply. Does Columbia, or I guess any school, send acceptance letters after the first visitation weekend? Also, what do you mean exactly by “...depend on how this visit weekend goes”?

Seems like they'll take stock of how interested the visiting students are, and see how many turn down the offer right away before sending out any more potential acceptances. Definitely seems like there won't be too many more though...

On 2/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, ghost_passenger said:

I figured I might as well post this since I know all my results.

Undergrad Institution: Large public research university in the US
Major(s): Chemistry, ACS-Certified
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major: 3.76
Overall GPA: 3.78
Position in Class: n/a
Type of Student: international, female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 166 (90th %)
V: 161 (88th %)
W: 4 (59th %)
S: 720 (58th %)

Research Experience: 18 months of experimental undergraduate research in pchem (in a niche field so my experience is a little unique), no publications, 3rd author on a conference presentation (did not present)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Quarterly and annual Dean's list; member of honors society

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: n/a
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: n/a
Special Bonus Points: n/a
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: n/a

Applying to Where:

Applied for pchem

[School name] (w/ date of notification)

Accepted: UT Austin (12/14/18), UW-Madison (12/19/18), UCSD (12/21/18), UChicago (1/4/19), IU-Bloomington (1/4/19)

Rejected: Northwestern (2/5/19)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my results, even though I aimed a little too high with Northwestern. Time to have fun and start visiting schools! Maybe I'll see some of you at UChicago this Thursday lol.

Can you let me know how did it go in the Uchicago visit weekend? I am trying to combine them with Cornell, what was the agenda for Sat. Can I skip on Saturday all together and still be good? 

2 minutes ago, AllAboutThatChem said:

Can you let me know how did it go in the Uchicago visit weekend? I am trying to combine them with Cornell, what was the agenda for Sat. Can I skip on Saturday all together and still be good? 

I was at UChicago this weekend too. Saturday there was a Women in Chemistry brunch in the morning (fantastic food!) and then you could go on tours of campus/graduate students' apartments or else grad students would take you places downtown, like museums or whereever. All of Saturday was optional and, although it was fun and it gives you more chances to talk to grad students, you wouldn't be missing anything in terms of formal events or seeing the department if you left that morning.

Undergrad Institution: Cal Poly Pomona
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.721
Overall GPA: 3.58
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic, female, white

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 
V: 151
W: 3.5
S:

Research Experience:

-1.5 year CO-OP at water district using LC/MS/MS

-Fall 2018 Semester doing Graduate Level research (HPLC)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Graduated cum laude

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Chemistry and Math tutor for 6 years

Teaching associate Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 Semester

1.5 year Chemistry Co-Op

Grader Spring 2019

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

I applied as either analytical, biochemistry, or bioanalytical.

UCR (accepted), Minnesota (rejected), KU (accepted), FIU (accepted). Haven't heard from: Northeastern, UNC - Greensboro, UVA - Charlottesville, Cleveland State University

7 hours ago, AllAboutThatChem said:

So its 2/13/19.  There are still some schools I did not hear back from (no rejection, simply nothing).  Do I assume I am rejected from them? Is the horrible waiting game over?

I'm making this assumption based on past grad cafe results and needing to get visit weekends in order.  There's always an outlier but I figure if I go with this mindset any acceptance will be a happy surprise.  

Edited by PCCP

Maybe I aimed way too high even though according to my professors and friends, I didn't. My GRE scores are decent, but my GPA, letters of recommendation as well as research and work experiences should very well make up for them. I got my 10th rejection this week and I am quite disappointed by the overall turn out. Still waiting on my first acceptance, but it is getting pretty late in the game and I'm starting to lose faith.

Anyone who applied for ochem heard anything from NYU, UF (Gainesville) and BC? These were supposedly my safety choices back in December, but right now they're my only hope of getting into grad school and it seems like even they rejected me since I haven't heard anything to date (not even waitlisted, which comes as a big surprise!). Will try my luck out next year if anything. 

7 hours ago, skibike said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from CU Boulder? I still haven't seen any updates online...pretty sure I've given up hope, but....

I got an email to check the website. Stated that I was rejected.

16 minutes ago, wwwwwwww said:

I got an email to check the website. Stated that I was rejected.

Sorry to hear that :( 

I just checked the website and still nothing. Assuming I will get rejected, I just wish I could hear something.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:38 PM, skibike said:

Sorry to hear that :( 

I just checked the website and still nothing. Assuming I will get rejected, I just wish I could hear something.

I think I'm in the same boat, haven't heard anything yet either...last week on the phone they told me my file was still in review, but they've probably sent out all acceptances by now?

Undergrad Institution: Sri Lanka, University of Colombo
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): Botany, Zoology, Computer Science 
GPA in Major: 3.7 / 4 
Overall GPA: 3.74/4
Position in Class: 
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) International 

GRE Scores (revised/old version): 306

GRE chemistry: 91 percentile 

Research Experience: Undergrad research 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: RSC merit 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for one year 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applied to: JHU, Purdue, Texas A and M, OSU, U of Florida, Carneige Mellon, U of Rochester 

So far accepted to: JHU, Texas A and M, OSU, U of Rochester