2019 Speech Pathology Graduate Applications

On 12/4/2018 at 7:33 PM, JENSTER said:

Hi!

I am from Florida and an out of field applicant. I completed a bridge program for prerequisites. 

I am applying to Florida State University, University of Central Florida, Jacksonville University, and Florida Atlantic University. I am debating on whether I should apply out of state because of affordability.

I am really worried that my scores will hold me back V:149, Q: 145, W:4. 

I am in school out of state. I would recommend staying IN STATE. it is very expensive! Unless you have a way of getting free money of course.

Hey everyone! As others have said, I am super nervous about waiting to hear back and this is a nice distraction. I'm a linguistics major from Florida with all prereqs completed.

I applied to Eastern New Mexico, North Carolina Central, East Tennessee State, Western Carolina, Adelphi, and Nova Southeastern. 

I'm not the most competitive applicant, but I'm hoping that applying to multiple schools will work in my favor. 

Good luck everyone!!!

Has anyone gotten an interview invite to Boston University yet? I'm trying to figure out how to fill out the interview preferences table. It's very confusing haha... I saw someone posted a similar question on the results page, but was hoping that someone had insight here. Thanks!

1 hour ago, BioCook said:

Has anyone gotten an interview invite to Boston University yet? I'm trying to figure out how to fill out the interview preferences table. It's very confusing haha... I saw someone posted a similar question on the results page, but was hoping that someone had insight here. Thanks!

I think they just added an extra column? Or maybe it was supposed to say perfered time? 

6 hours ago, BioCook said:

I sent it like this (would prefer Saturday but can do Friday?). I also included my skype name in the first box underneath. Hope this is right!

Date

Preferred date(s)

Possible date(s)

Not Possible

Friday, February 22nd 

X

Saturday, February 23rd

X

5 hours ago, samijeanne said:

I sent it like this (would prefer Saturday but can do Friday?). I also included my skype name in the first box underneath. Hope this is right!

Date

Preferred date(s)

Possible date(s)

Not Possible

Friday, February 22nd 

X

Saturday, February 23rd

X

I was also a little unsure of how to format this exactly but sent mine similarly with times as well...Quick question - did you reply directly to the email that was sent to you or one of the other contacts? I haven't received a confirmation yet and just curious :)  

Good luck & well wishes to all applying!!! 

42 minutes ago, rtn99 said:

I was also a little unsure of how to format this exactly but sent mine similarly with times as well...Quick question - did you reply directly to the email that was sent to you or one of the other contacts? I haven't received a confirmation yet and just curious :) 

Good luck & well wishes to all applying!!! 

I replied directly to the general SLHS email. I’m sure they’re getting a great deal of interview preferences and will work this weekend to schedule interviews. I’m sure we will hear soon!

15 hours ago, BioCook said:

I replied directly to the general SLHS email. I’m sure they’re getting a great deal of interview preferences and will work this weekend to schedule interviews. I’m sure we will hear soon!

2 hours ago, samijeanne said:

@rtn99 I just responded to the general email address and said to let me know if they needed anything else

Awesome - just wanted to make sure - thanks everybody! : )

On 1/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, jjess313 said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm just curious if anyone who has previously gotten into schools in Michigan would be willing to share their GPA and GRE score that they got accepted with? Also when did you hear back from schools? Particularly interested in Grand Valley, Michigan State, Calvin, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, and Wayne. 

Thanks!

I just got accepted to Wayne today and also applied to CMU and Western but haven't heard from them yet. CMU is doing interviews on 2/22 and said they'd send out invitations to those no later than one week before. My stats are in my signature, hope that helps. 

Edited by FutureSLP19

HI Everyone!!

I know a lot of people have been getting decisions from Arizona State University. I know all of my materials are in, but I have not heard anything from them. My portal still says in review. Is there anyone else still waiting for a decision from them? Does anyone know hows they release decisions?

GPA: 3.79 GRE V: 151 Q: 148 W: 4.0 I have done research, been a TA, lots of volunteer hours, 3 letters of rec from speech path department, two from Pi Beta Phi Alum I worked closely with while I was on the leadership board, VP of Pi Beta Phi and VP of NSSLHA

11 minutes ago, lasmith said:

HI Everyone!!

I know a lot of people have been getting decisions from Arizona State University. I know all of my materials are in, but I have not heard anything from them. My portal still says in review. Is there anyone else still waiting for a decision from them? Does anyone know hows they release decisions?

GPA: 3.79 GRE V: 151 Q: 148 W: 4.0 I have done research, been a TA, lots of volunteer hours, 3 letters of rec from speech path department, two from Pi Beta Phi Alum I worked closely with while I was on the leadership board, VP of Pi Beta Phi and VP of NSSLHA

I am also waiting! it’s making me panic haha!

1 minute ago, natalee said:

I am also waiting! it’s making me panic haha!

I'm so glad I am not the only one. It has been making me anxious all week long.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:27 PM, samijeanne said:

Date

Preferred date(s)

Possible date(s)

Not Possible

Friday, February 22nd 

X

Saturday, February 23rd

X

That makes more sense haha. I did mine this way:

On Campus Interview

Date

Preferred date(s)

Possible date(s)

Not Possible

Friday, February 22nd 

Not Possible

Saturday, February 23rd

1st Choice

Skype Username

2nd Choice

I'm a first timer applying to grad programs! I applied to ASU, Biola, CSUF, NAU, MWU-Glendale, and the University of Arizona. So far, I've been rejected from ASU. I'm a California girl, hoping to stay here, but I'm open to moving for school. My stats aren't great, but I'm confident in my personal statements, experience, and recommendation letters :)

Here's to staying positive ??

Hi, everyone! This is my second time applying to grad programs and I am feeling a lot more confident this time around. I have already been accepted into one program, but I am still waiting to hear from my other four schools. I wanted to let those with stats as low as mine know that there is absolutely a chance for you to succeed.

Where are you from? Illinois.

Which programs are you applying to? Wichita State University, Truman State University, Saint Mary's College, Minnesota State University Mankato, and Louisiana State University.

What are your biggest concerns about applications? As indicated in my signature, my stats are not the greatest. However, I worked hard to improve my major GPA and GRE scores. I had many people look over my personal statement and I obtained strong reference letters from supervisors and colleagues (including an SLP) since I wasn't close with my professors. I started student organizations in college that fostered leadership, diversity, and inclusion. I also worked as a paraprofessional/assistant teacher at therapeutic day schools after college. My current school allows for me to work with SLPs and run speech therapy sessions with their students. Not only do I get to observe SLPs, but I am fortunate to be able to carry out students' speech therapy programs on my own as well. I also worry about the cost, but most of the schools I chose are in a decent range for me. 

Best of luck to everyone this application season! 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, libbyyehca said:

I'm a first timer applying to grad programs! I applied to ASU, Biola, CSUF, NAU, MWU-Glendale, and the University of Arizona. So far, I've been rejected from ASU. I'm a California girl, hoping to stay here, but I'm open to moving for school. My stats aren't great, but I'm confident in my personal statements, experience, and recommendation letters :)

Here's to staying positive ??

Hi, I applied to Biola as well,  have you interviewed or received anything from them?

Just now, Toya said:

Hi, I applied to Biola as well,  have you interviewed or received anything from them?

No, I submitted my app and turned in all of the supplement items before Dec. 15th. I haven't heard from them yet. My GRE scores don't meet the minimum requirement stated on their website.  ? 

2 hours ago, libbyyehca said:

No, I submitted my app and turned in all of the supplement items before Dec. 15th. I haven't heard from them yet. My GRE scores don't meet the minimum requirement stated on their website.  ? 

Same here, I missed the GRE minimum but 1 point and applied Dec 14. When I went the info session they said still apply if you're under it. 

Hi!!! 

Grew up overseas,

-living in Texas, going to undergrad

I applied to A TON of schools just because i wasn't really sure what i was looking for in a program

- baylor, texas tech HSC, MGHI, Texas state, LSUHSC, LSU-baton rouge, LSU-Shreveport, Chapman, SDSU and Samford 

My biggest concern is everything really...

I have an ok gpa (3.56), my gre is ok (not competitive, v: 151, q: 146). I know a lot of my schools are probably reach schools but here's hoping!!! I'm really nervous about the interview process (what will they ask, etc). I've heard back from LSUHSC in New Orleans and Samford and got an interview with both but have heard that LSU only takes 2 out of state students even though I would really like to go there. I'm also nervous that they might ask about research interests. I am interested in TBI's and ASD but not sure how to turn those into research questions

If anyone has any tips about the interview process, etc anything would be greatly appreciated! GOOD LUCK!

1 hour ago, Toya said:

Same here, I missed the GRE minimum but 1 point and applied Dec 14. When I went the info session they said still apply if you're under it. 

I see, well there's still hope then. I was frustrated about the GRE because I got a really low score despite putting in months of studying for it ? 

On 2/8/2019 at 12:15 AM, BioCook said:

Hi! Did you hear back yet? And if so when did you hear if you don’t mind me asking? :)  The original email had said by today and I have not heard yet so want to make sure they received my reply 

2 minutes ago, rtn99 said:

Hi! Did you hear back yet? And if so when did you hear if you don’t mind me asking? :)  The original email had said by today and I have not heard yet so want to make sure they received my reply 

Hey there - I haven’t heard back yet. I made a thread post about BU interviews and another person said they didn’t receive an email either. They said they received the interview invite at around 5pm, so I can imagine it’ll be the same for this! I’ll  let you know when I get it though. :)

3 minutes ago, BioCook said:

Hey there - I haven’t heard back yet. I made a thread post about BU interviews and another person said they didn’t receive an email either. They said they received the interview invite at around 5pm, so I can imagine it’ll be the same for this! I’ll  let you know when I get it though. :)

Thank you!!! ?