Columbia University MSW Fall 2019

MettaSutta

32 minutes ago, asr13b said:

Same here, currently working on my application but for the on-campus program. Following this thread :)

What will be your concentration? Mine is Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice with a focus on Health, Mental Health and Disabilities. 

3 minutes ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

What will be your concentration? Mine is Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice with a focus on Health, Mental Health and Disabilities. 

Same here, actually! I got my B.S. in psychology and I intend to get my LCSW and practice therapy. 

2 hours ago, asr13b said:

Same here, actually! I got my B.S. in psychology and I intend to get my LCSW and practice therapy. 

I'm interested in the legal side of social work myself.  

I really hope they're generous with scholarships.  It will cost a pretty penny even if I'm doing the online program and living with family.  

Hey! I'm actually doing the 16 month program, Clinical Social Work. Practice will be Families, Youth & Children while minoring in Criminal Justice. 

I really needed help with the personal statement question: 

Describe a social problem of significance to you. Please discuss it with regard to: societal contributions to the origin of the problem; experiences that have contributed to your identification and understanding of the problem; and possible ways of addressing the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks!

19 hours ago, Bianca Sig said:

Hey! I'm actually doing the 16 month program, Clinical Social Work. Practice will be Families, Youth & Children while minoring in Criminal Justice. 

I really needed help with the personal statement question: 

Describe a social problem of significance to you. Please discuss it with regard to: societal contributions to the origin of the problem; experiences that have contributed to your identification and understanding of the problem; and possible ways of addressing the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks!

That's the hardest of the three questions for me!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 2:27 PM, CRPLS said:

Hi all. Was wondering if anyone submitted their applications yet and/or received answers. 

I haven't yet, but I plan to before the 12/1 priority deadline.  According to previous years threads, decision for priority applicants come out on or about Feb. 15. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 11:28 AM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Word of advice, BE PATIENT. Columbia takes FOREVER to get back to you. I heard back in late March after I applied in November of last year. If anyone needs help or advice with personal statements, PM me. I don't mind helping or giving advice. 

Do you know what the acceptance rate is?  I could not find such info on the website. 

Hey everyone! I'm currently at CSSW as an advanced standing student in the policy concentration. I'll be graduating in May. 

I'm happy to help with any questions based on my experiences. From what I know, admissions was short staffed last year which resulted in long application decision times. I applied before the priority deadline and didn't hear back until March. Could be different this year! 

If my memory serves me right, during our orientation one of the assistant deans said that our cohort was the most competitive and that the program is getting more competitive because they receive higher amounts of applications each year. I believe the acceptance rate last year was around 60%. 

20 hours ago, ss0112 said:

Just submitted my application to Columbia today! I applied to the 2-year advanced clinical social work practice with a focus on health, mental health, and disabilities!

I just submitted today too!  And my concentrations will be the exact same as yours.  Did you elect the online or in-person program?

On 11/29/2018 at 2:59 PM, JonoDuncan said:

Hey everyone! I'm currently at CSSW as an advanced standing student in the policy concentration. I'll be graduating in May. 

I'm happy to help with any questions based on my experiences. From what I know, admissions was short staffed last year which resulted in long application decision times. I applied before the priority deadline and didn't hear back until March. Could be different this year! 

If my memory serves me right, during our orientation one of the assistant deans said that our cohort was the most competitive and that the program is getting more competitive because they receive higher amounts of applications each year. I believe the acceptance rate last year was around 60%. 

60% acceptance rate is a lot higher than I thought, given it's an Ivy.  

On 12/1/2018 at 9:14 PM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

60% acceptance rate is a lot higher than I thought, given it's an Ivy.  

I agree 60% seems high. I wish there was a way to confirm this because I've seen acceptance rates that are all over the place. Still, it seems like the cost of attendance is the limiting factor with Columbia instead of the acceptance rate.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:19 PM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

Does anyone know what is the median undergraduate GPA for accepted students?

I'm not sure the school really tracks this data. CSSW definitely looks at applications holistically though. People have been accepted with GPAs all over the charts.

Your admissions essay and experiences are just as important, if not more important than your GPA. I remember there being a lot of discussion about this on the Fall 2018 Columbia MSW thread if you care to look back. 

9 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

I'm not sure the school really tracks this data. CSSW definitely looks at applications holistically though. People have been accepted with GPAs all over the charts.

Your admissions essay and experiences are just as important, if not more important than your GPA. I remember there being a lot of discussion about this on the Fall 2018 Columbia MSW thread if you care to look back. 

Thanks!  How generous is Columbia with merit-based scholarships?