Columbia University MSW Fall 2019

MettaSutta

15 hours ago, VeronHernan24 said:

SAME! I'm hoping sooner rather than later I wish they gave us a definite date this whole "6 week" time range is kind of stressing me out. 

i emailed them last week asking if it would be sooner rather than later & they said i would hear something 6-8 weeks after my application was complete. I was pissed at myself for even asking because now its even longer of a wait ? haha still hoping for sooner than 6 weeks, though.

On 12/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, doctormelody said:

I think @JonoDuncan may be referring to the ones listed here under competitive scholarships:

https://socialwork.columbia.edu/the-student-experience/costs-financial-aid/

They also emailed us in mid-January about something called the Honjo Scholarship, more info about which can be found here:

https://sipa.columbia.edu/faculty-research/libraries-resources/japanese-american-association-new-york-honjo-scholarship

Peterson's appears to have changed their website and now I can't find the acceptance rate for Columbia on there, but last year, I think it was listed as being around 52%, and I'd believe that. It's definitely infinitely less selective than their undergraduate schools, but 70% does seem high.

Anecdotally, on the thread from last year Advanced Standing applicants seemed to have a harder time than traditional two-year applicants, and many people with high GPA's were rejected. Also, a lot of people were treated like garbage by the school. I'd highly recommend reading through that thread if you have time - it's extremely long, but will probably provide valuable info. 

I really hope this was helpful.

Edit: accidentally posted the same link twice.

LOL at the Hey Arnold! GIF. But very helpful links nonetheless!

Quick side note-- I got this email today:

"You are receiving this automated email because all required application checklist items appear to be received for your recent MSW program application. If we discover any issues with documents you have provided or additional requirements, we will alert you in the coming days. If you do not hear from us, that means your application has entered the review process. Fall decisions are typically issued beginning in February."

I submitted my app on February 15 and just got this email. How long do I have to wait from this time period? ahhhHhh

3 hours ago, Macchi & Java said:

Quick side note-- I got this email today:

"You are receiving this automated email because all required application checklist items appear to be received for your recent MSW program application. If we discover any issues with documents you have provided or additional requirements, we will alert you in the coming days. If you do not hear from us, that means your application has entered the review process. Fall decisions are typically issued beginning in February."

I submitted my app on February 15 and just got this email. How long do I have to wait from this time period? ahhhHhh

I applied 2/6, got that email on 2/12 and i am still waiting to hear back.

4 hours ago, toofunny said:

i read on a different thread that someone received a rejection letter from Columbia yesterday. 

Oof, that was me! I applied on 2/16, my last letter went in on 2/22. Good luck y'all, hope you hear back soon!!

Edit: should be 1/16 and 1/22!

Edited by VirtualCryptid
wrong dates

17 hours ago, 18coffees said:

Does anyone know the process for appealing for more scholarship money? I would love to attend but I just had a dramatic change to my financial situation which I would like to see if I can get more money because of

You may have to speak to the Director of Admissions for an appeal. There's more info here under What if I’m not satisfied with my package?

https://socialwork.columbia.edu/current-students/first-year-faq

I got my acceptance letter yesterday evening. It was an email saying my status changed. I am very excited!! However, the reality of how expensive it is has hit me!

I applied January 23rd for the 2 year track. I am waiting to hear about financial aid and see what I am working with. Good luck everyone! 

On 2/20/2019 at 1:09 PM, mswguy said:

Received my financial aid info today, 15k a year scholarship. Not bad, but even with the scholarship it’s still the most expensive program on my list. ?

Hi! I got my acceptance letter yesterday, how long did it take them to send you your financial aid award letter??

12 hours ago, Msw_2019! said:

Hi! I got my acceptance letter yesterday, how long did it take them to send you your financial aid award letter??

was a few weeks after acceptance, was an email on financial aid, just included info on the scholarship.