2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

I GOT INTO AN IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL & they’re willing to sponsor me!!!!!!!!!!!

so I have a few questions about the package I got. So I was awarded a fellowship from the university, does that get compounded with gem? Does that mean I don’t have to TA? And also what’s like the average range for stipend awards (I think it said I got 36k/yr)

16 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@TITX I assume you get accepted due to the fact that they do not want to waste time and money to fly you out there lol

I would hope so!! I feel in love with the school and community and would have the hardest time getting over it!! They did let us know in an email that there is still a possibility of not being admitted though. 

Edited by TITX

Does anyone have an estimate of the cut off time for employer selection? at which point associate and university fellowships would be available. I've been accepted to my top choice and the GEM representative agreed on financing. However, after speaking with GEM university and associate fellowships are not available until after Employer selection has closed.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:39 PM, Letsgethisbread said:

does that get compounded with gem? Does that mean I don’t have to TA? And also what’s like the average range for stipend awards (I think it said I got 36k/yr)

The answer to this question is very dependent on the university, I would guess. I got a $20k/yr fellowship at one of my universities and they are compounding it with my GEM Fellowship for my first year, so I would get $36k that year. I am sure they will compound it, but definitely ask the school. The average range of stipends varies depending on your advisor's funding, the department, the university, and the location of the university. However, I think the average stipend is in the high twenty thousands. Congrats on your acceptance!

2 hours ago, ray92 said:

@Moods Congrats on obtaining the Fellowship. Did you accept a school? Does GEM send out an official letter of acceptance?

Thanks! Super excited! I haven't yet accepted a school, but both of the school I got accepted to are willing to accept me as a GEM Fellow and have offer links. Additionally, I got my official acceptance letter from my employer, so I figured that means I am a GEM Fellow?? I haven't gotten an official letter from GEM yet. I will let you know when that happens.

Edited by Moods

@Moods How do schools reach out to you with regards to being able to sponsor you as a GEM fellow? or are you just going off what the GEM portal says?

4 minutes ago, TITX said:

@Moods How do schools reach out to you with regards to being able to sponsor you as a GEM fellow? or are you just going off what the GEM portal says?

I actually reached out to the GEM Representatives about it. I told that I had been accepted to the school and was wondering if the school was willing to sponsor me as a GEM Fellow. As they were confirming me, I kept in contact with them and asked them many questions about how the fellowships work. And then the portal changed during this.

3 hours ago, ray92 said:

@Moods Ah so you reach out to the GEM rep at school, then they gave you a contract

I also did what @Moods did and I just sent them a quick email saying how excited I was for acceptance and if they were willing to sponsor me. From my perspective, most schools want to have gem scholars in their programs so they’re very willing to sponsor. Also, I think they just send gem an email confirming you got accepted with funding    

On 2/28/2019 at 12:50 PM, TITX said:

@LetsGetThisBread If it's Columbia, let me know if you have any questions about the campus or city ~

Hey, New to this forum. But I need some help on this point. I got into an EE program at Columbia, but I haven't heard back from GEM, or any employer. Highkey getting a bit worried. Reached out to the Columbia GEM rep and she basically said GEM would notify me about my application as soon as they can. 

@I like Anime Hey~ I am not too familiar with the bureaucratic side of things at Columbia.. I just went there for undergrad, but, like you, I am also in GEM limbo. At this point, employers have mostly finalized their intern selections. I do know that they have not finalized all selections so there is still a chance to be contacted by an employer. After the employer selections are over, it's to my understanding that GEM will then start with their Associate and University Fellows, though I am not entirely sure how these things work.

hahah i also went to Columbia for Undergrad! Was accepted to their grad program as well but currently in GEM limbo too with employers so you're not alone

Edited by K Alex