Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent graduate with a bachelor's in Public Administration. Decided recently that I want to get into political economy, and I plan to apply for NPSIA. But I have a B+ average from my last two years, and my only experience is me volunteering in the school's UN Student Organization, and currently I intern for an international research group. Does anyone know if that's enough, or should I say fuck it, cuz my grades are pretty shite...

Thanks for the comment and advice

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 3:30 PM, mandooke said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent graduate with a bachelor's in Public Administration. Decided recently that I want to get into political economy, and I plan to apply for NPSIA. But I have a B+ average from my last two years, and my only experience is me volunteering in the school's UN Student Organization, and currently I intern for an international research group. Does anyone know if that's enough, or should I say fuck it, cuz my grades are pretty shite...

Thanks for the comment and advice

hi there! i currently go to carleton and what i have heard is that generally NPSIA weighs experience very heavily so i would say don't lose hope just because you don't have a perfect GPA. i think the fact that you intern for an international research group and are involved in IR extracurriculars are def beneficial, especially if u were able to raise your gpa a bit over this past semester. you meet the minimum grade requirements so i would say as long as you have a strong statement, your application stands a chance so don't give up yet!

hello! thanks for starting this thread, i couldn't find many others on international/global affairs programs for 2019. how far into your application process are you? i have contacted and secured my referees but due to a crazy fall semester, i am only now starting my personal statement, so i am a little concerned that i am behind! are you applying to any other schools? 

13 hours ago, moon-girl said:

hello! thanks for starting this thread, i couldn't find many others on international/global affairs programs for 2019. how far into your application process are you? i have contacted and secured my referees but due to a crazy fall semester, i am only now starting my personal statement, so i am a little concerned that i am behind! are you applying to any other schools? 

I've been done for a few weeks now! Just been hesitant on submitting my statements - always feel like I can keep improving them, ya know? Goal was to get them in by Jan 1 though! All my references are in, so that's nice peace of mind. It's nice how they let your references submit before you submit your statements. They must be swamped with letters.

I have a really niche topic that most schools don't really tackle, so I'm only applying to (in ranked order): NPSIA, U of Calgary, Munk.

How about yourself?

Hey everyone! Glad to see more people posting. I have a rough draft for Munk that I am still editing and a rough draft for NPSIA and Ottawa. I graduated university last year and I have a 3.75 GPA and 4.0 final year GPA. Have worked for the provincial government before, I'm a member of a think tank, have studied European politics and environmental sustainability during an exchange in 2017 and have been involved in committees related to international education and experiential learning programs. My top choice is Munk. Best of luck to everyone!

On 12/23/2018 at 4:32 PM, DPDoubleTrouble said:

I've been done for a few weeks now! Just been hesitant on submitting my statements - always feel like I can keep improving them, ya know? Goal was to get them in by Jan 1 though! All my references are in, so that's nice peace of mind. It's nice how they let your references submit before you submit your statements. They must be swamped with letters.

I have a really niche topic that most schools don't really tackle, so I'm only applying to (in ranked order): NPSIA, U of Calgary, Munk.

How about yourself?

I am also applying to Munk and NPSIA, as well as the global governance program at BSIA. My top choices are between Munk and BSIA right now. I'm still currently working on my statements so I am kind of kicking myself in the butt for not starting earlier LOL.  

If you don't mind me asking, did you submit your video question portion of the Munk application yet? I was surprised when they added it onto the application requirements this year and am a little bit nervous since there doesn't seem to be much you can do to prepare! 

43 minutes ago, moon-girl said:

I am also applying to Munk and NPSIA, as well as the global governance program at BSIA. My top choices are between Munk and BSIA right now. I'm still currently working on my statements so I am kind of kicking myself in the butt for not starting earlier LOL.  

If you don't mind me asking, did you submit your video question portion of the Munk application yet? I was surprised when they added it onto the application requirements this year and am a little bit nervous since there doesn't seem to be much you can do to prepare! 

Yeah, I'm not sure about the video portion. I'm assuming because they get so many applicants they added this portion to stream people out

I am also applying at NPSIA, Munk & UOttawa (MA in Public and International Affairs). What kind of references are you guys using? I also am just getting started on my letter of intent and wish I'd have started earlier :( Would anyone have any idea if they only look at cumulative grades or grades from last two years? I am doing well in my last two years but my cumulative GPA is not super high. I did some internships with a think-tank, the provincial govt. & with Canada Border Services. 

On 12/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, v_vexed said:

I am also applying at NPSIA, Munk & UOttawa (MA in Public and International Affairs). What kind of references are you guys using? I also am just getting started on my letter of intent and wish I'd have started earlier :( Would anyone have any idea if they only look at cumulative grades or grades from last two years? I am doing well in my last two years but my cumulative GPA is not super high. I did some internships with a think-tank, the provincial govt. & with Canada Border Services. 

Have you started your application for Ottawa yet? After you pay for the application we are supposed to get an email directing us to upload our documents but I don't know how long this will take 

Edited by snowflake96

1 hour ago, twin1 said:

I am applying to Munk, uOttawa, and Carleton! I've finished my Carleton and Ottawa applications a while back and now I am just finishing up Munk! 

I am surprised there isn't much activity on the forum this year! 

How long did it take for them to process your application fee for ottawa? I'm still waiting on the email to upload my documents.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, snowflake96 said:

How long did it take for them to process your application fee for ottawa? I'm still waiting on the email to upload my documents.

I am also waiting for U of Ottawa to process my fee and send me a link to upload my documents. I found their site/application process to be atrocious compared to other programs. I'd love an estimate on how long it took for you to get access to upload your docs

9 hours ago, Timbit said:

I am also waiting for U of Ottawa to process my fee and send me a link to upload my documents. I found their site/application process to be atrocious compared to other programs. I'd love an estimate on how long it took for you to get access to upload your docs

It's awful. I don't get why they make their application process so difficult. I'm especially concerned because one of the programs I'm applying to at Ottawa's deadline is on the 15th, and I want to make sure my references have time to upload their letters. U of T and Carleton's was so painless! lol, I called them this morning and was told it can take up to a week or 10 days to receive the email.

Edited by snowflake96

5 hours ago, snowflake96 said:

It's awful. I don't get why they make their application process so difficult. I'm especially concerned because one of the programs I'm applying to at Ottawa's deadline is on the 15th, and I want to make sure my references have time to upload their letters. U of T and Carleton's was so painless! lol, I called them this morning and was told it can take up to a week or 10 days to receive the email.

@snowflake96 I've applied to U of T, McMaster, and Waterloo, and none have been nearly this confusing. The language is beyond unclear, just to get admissions reqs was a maze, and now I'm also worried about giving my references enough time. Really is a bit discouraging. I find a school's admin can be a make or break factor for a good experience (which is why I didn't apply to York)

On 1/1/2019 at 5:10 PM, snowflake96 said:

It took 6 days! That was back at the beginning of November. 

2 hours ago, Timbit said:

@snowflake96 I've applied to U of T, McMaster, and Waterloo, and none have been nearly this confusing. The language is beyond unclear, just to get admissions reqs was a maze, and now I'm also worried about giving my references enough time. Really is a bit discouraging. I find a school's admin can be a make or break factor for a good experience (which is why I didn't apply to York)

I ended up getting the email this afternoon. Check your spam folder because that's where mine was

On 1/3/2019 at 7:16 AM, snowflake96 said:

Hey there I saw on the website that the deadline for UOttawa in GSPIA is actually Feb. 1, so you have a little bit more time! It's only NPSIA that's Jan. 13 (on my birthday, just my luck haha)

10 minutes ago, v_vexed said:

Hey there I saw on the website that the deadline for UOttawa in GSPIA is actually Feb. 1, so you have a little bit more time! It's only NPSIA that's Jan. 13 (on my birthday, just my luck haha)

Isn't NPSIA due on January 31? And I'm also applying for SIDGS at Ottawa which is due on the 15 which is why I was so worried! Ateast for GSPIA I have time lol

Edited by snowflake96