Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

for those who are applying to munk, did you guys identify a research area in the "proposed area of study" section of the online application or just one of the three streams of the program? 

On 1/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, snowflake96 said:

Isn't NPSIA due on January 31? And I'm also applying for SIDGS at Ottawa which is due on the 15 which is why I was so worried! Ateast for GSPIA I have time lol

You're right! It is due on the 31st! I don't know why I thought it was on the 13th. Glad to know I have a bit more time. What kind of references are you using? I heard both professional and academic references are important for NPSIA but for GSPIA and other programs academic is better.

8 minutes ago, v_vexed said:

You're right! It is due on the 31st! I don't know why I thought it was on the 13th. Glad to know I have a bit more time. What kind of references are you using? I heard both professional and academic references are important for NPSIA but for GSPIA and other programs academic is better.

I'm using 2 academic references! Have you completed the econ requirement?

4 hours ago, v_vexed said:

I used 2 academic references!

On 1/5/2019 at 9:39 PM, DPDoubleTrouble said:

Has anyone done the video yet? I've been procrastinating on that...

Anyone got tips?

I've been procrastinating on that as well. I don't know what questions they'll ask? Like will it be a specific global affairs issue that's happening now?

21 hours ago, snowflake96 said:

I've been procrastinating on that as well. I don't know what questions they'll ask? Like will it be a specific global affairs issue that's happening now?

have you done the practice questions yet? all the questions were in such unrelated areas of international affairs, i have no idea how to prepare for this 

1 hour ago, moon-girl said:

have you done the practice questions yet? all the questions were in such unrelated areas of international affairs, i have no idea how to prepare for this 

Wow that's a bit terrifying. I guess they are really adding this component to stream people out. I wonder how heavily it weighs compared to other aspects of the application

46 minutes ago, snowflake96 said:

Wow that's a bit terrifying. I guess they are really adding this component to stream people out. I wonder how heavily it weighs compared to other aspects of the application

i hope its not weighed heavily LOL

the thing is that the video component is not included in the SGS document submission checklist so i am wondering if they added this to stream out people who haven't read the application instructions? or maybe this is just me thinking wishfully because i do not think i will do well on this part LOL. 

i just completed mine and the question was not difficult but it was just very nerve wracking to do! 

5 minutes ago, moon-girl said:

i hope its not weighed heavily LOL

the thing is that the video component is not included in the SGS document submission checklist so i am wondering if they added this to stream out people who haven't read the application instructions? or maybe this is just me thinking wishfully because i do not think i will do well on this part LOL. 

i just completed mine and the question was not difficult but it was just very nerve wracking to do! 

That's what I was thinking as well because I could have sworn I looked at the MGA website in October and the video component wasn't there. I'll be doing mine tomorrow. Ahh

1 minute ago, snowflake96 said:

That's what I was thinking as well because I could have sworn I looked at the MGA website in October and the video component wasn't there. I'll be doing mine tomorrow. Ahh

yes, they added the component later in! i remember looking at it and being really confused because i had previously checked the website the day before and it wasn't there. so hopefully!!! this isn't being weighed that heavily! 

good luck! you get around a three second warning (they do those little beeps to warn you) at the end of the 5 minute prep session before they start recording. it kind of threw me off when they started recording right away, so be mindful of that. 

did you submit the rest of your application documents already? 

43 minutes ago, snowflake96 said:

The video component got added to the site around late October/early Nov. It was definitely after application period opened, which tbh I find kinda lame. 

My video question went fine, but was not very IR related and felt kinda niche for the scope of the program. Ah well, i'm sure it's kinda a throw-away component

2 hours ago, moon-girl said:

yes, they added the component later in! i remember looking at it and being really confused because i had previously checked the website the day before and it wasn't there. so hopefully!!! this isn't being weighed that heavily! 

good luck! you get around a three second warning (they do those little beeps to warn you) at the end of the 5 minute prep session before they start recording. it kind of threw me off when they started recording right away, so be mindful of that. 

did you submit the rest of your application documents already? 

Yup! Everything else is submitted. Just got this left.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:50 PM, snowflake96 said:

For those applying to Ottawa, how long are your letters of intent? It doesn't clearly state it on the website.

Mine is about 2 pages not double-spaced.

Does anyone know where we submit our letter of intent, transcript & resume? Is it on the website or do we mail it in?

7 hours ago, snowflake96 said:

We submit it on uozone!

That's the thing though, uozone has no where that I can upload the documents. I can only update my references, that's all.

Edit: Actually I just figured it out, you need to go to uodoc or something. Wow the UOttawa portal is so badly designed. Feels like the website was made by a student.

Edited by v_vexed
New information

On 1/14/2019 at 4:50 PM, snowflake96 said:

For those applying to Ottawa, how long are your letters of intent? It doesn't clearly state it on the website.

I went with just over a page. Most schools ask for 500 words max, so I felt it wise not to go much longer than that. An LOI should be concise and not fluffy, and U of O's prompt isn't nearly as long as other schools so anything over 2 pages would be serious overkill.

Hey guys, 

I'm applying to Munk and NPSIA as well. Just read this thread and realized that I never did the video component but thankfully, it's supplementary now. So I'll finish that tomorrow. And one of my references hasn't submitted his for some reason whatsoever. He says he'll do it asap but now I'm just anxious. Should I mail the department? I don't know what to do. Aghhh. 

Finishing up the NPSIA SOP today. Everything else is almost ready except for my references. 

Anyway, I'm an international student. I have a master's already and some work experience in a think-tank. Any advice about the SOP? 

Hello I am an international student and I applied to NPSIA January 2. I have a Masters in Public Health (Health Policy and Management) and working experience also. But I am not an economics major, is anyone here in the same category?

On 1/22/2019 at 4:34 AM, Amarule said:

Hello I am an international student and I applied to NPSIA January 2. I have a Masters in Public Health (Health Policy and Management) and working experience also. But I am not an economics major, is anyone here in the same category?

i don't think you need to be an economics major, i know if you haven't fulfilled the basic economics requirement, you can still receive an acceptance but it will just be conditional on if you get that credit by the time the fall semester starts 

what streams did you guys pick for NPISA? 

On 1/24/2019 at 1:10 AM, moon-girl said:

i don't think you need to be an economics major, i know if you haven't fulfilled the basic economics requirement, you can still receive an acceptance but it will just be conditional on if you get that credit by the time the fall semester starts 

what streams did you guys pick for NPISA? 

Thank you for your reply. The streams I chose were *International Organovation & Global Public Policy *International Development Policy & *Health Displacement & Humanitarian Policy. 

Edited by Amarule

Hi guys,

I applied to NPSIA on 18th Jan. The wait is horrid. I am from a technical background. Don't know what my chances are. Anyone know anyone who made it with no background in IA at all?

Thank you.

Edited by pokegenie