Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

On 5/29/2019 at 3:48 PM, Successica said:

Is there a Facebook page for the NPSIA class of 2021?

No, but I want to make one - I'll pm you! I want to find someone else to be an admin with me before I make it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 7:17 PM, moon-girl said:

has anyone with MGA heard any updates from kevin/the program? i haven't received any emails yet, just wondering if anyone else has?

There was a "Welcome from the MGA program" on 28th June, and two more emails from SGS admissions about online chats. 

18 hours ago, SIqbal said:

There was a "Welcome from the MGA program" on 28th June, and two more emails from SGS admissions about online chats. 

I just checked my email and it went into my junk folder, so I wouldn't have caught this if it wasn't for you, thank you!

On 7/5/2019 at 2:03 PM, another_canuck said:

Has anybody received any information/welcome emails from GSPIA? Haven't heard anything from them since they emailed me their offer.

We got an email In mid June about selecting courses and setting up your UOttawa email. Check your junk folder .

8 hours ago, snowflake96 said:

We got an email In mid June about selecting courses and setting up your UOttawa email. Check your junk folder .

Mid-June?!?! There's nothing in my spam folder from them...thanks for letting me know

Edited by another_canuck

15 minutes ago, another_canuck said:

Mid-June?!?! There's nothing in my spam folder from them...thanks for letting me know

I think course selection was around 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't worry because I believe we have until August to choose them anyway 

Hey Everyone!

Congratulations on getting accepted to the schools you've applied to!

I'm an international student from India and I got accepted into UBC's MPPGA program. Is there anyone here who applied for the same and got in? I haven't been given any funding or scholarships and considering the amount of money they charge for international students, I'm still deciding whether to accept or defer it. Does anyone know about what reputation the program has within Canada?

Would appreciate any opinions about the program and UBC in general as a city for international students (job opportunities in Global Affairs, policy etc)

On 7/16/2019 at 5:50 AM, Hash123 said:

Hey Everyone!

Congratulations on getting accepted to the schools you've applied to!

I'm an international student from India and I got accepted into UBC's MPPGA program. Is there anyone here who applied for the same and got in? I haven't been given any funding or scholarships and considering the amount of money they charge for international students, I'm still deciding whether to accept or defer it. Does anyone know about what reputation the program has within Canada?

Would appreciate any opinions about the program and UBC in general as a city for international students (job opportunities in Global Affairs, policy etc)

I applied to the program and got rejected, but I will answer your questions regarding reputation/ranking and opinion.

The MPPGA is ranked 5th in the country https://www.opencanada.org/features/state-international-relations-studies-canada/

UBC is ranked 3rd in the country https://www.macleans.ca/education/university-rankings/university-rankings-2019-canadas-top-medical-doctoral-schools/

I suggest trusting Times ranking of UBC more than Maclean's  https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2019/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/locations/CA/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

I have been to Vancouver before and it is a beautiful, but expensive city (an extra expense to an already costly program). It is at the opposite end of the country from the capital (Ottawa), so wanting connections to Global Affairs from Vancouver might prove to be quite challenging. However, if you want more local/provincial policy work, it shouldn't be hard because it's close to the provincial capital of Victoria and Vancouver is the province's biggest city. And UBC/MPPGA seems to have a lot of connections with Alberta (a neighbouring province), so you could do policy work in Alberta as well (I got this information from when I contacted their program coordinator).

Congrats on getting their offer and good luck deciding whether to accept or defer it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, I'mnotanxious said:

Hey, I'm also an international student -- I got admitted this year. The fees is astronomical and I was thinking of deferring as well. (The thing is, even if I work for a year in India, I won't be able to make half of the fees at Munk). I really would like to know about job opportunities -- not particularly to immigrate to Canada but so that I can pay off the loan (that I will have to take). 

I got in touch with the person in charge of student experiences and asked her to put me in touch with any international alumni who could speak to me about careers. Consider doing the same?

Hi

I am also from India and am planning to apply to Munk. Considering the high costs, do you think it's worth applying? Also, I do not have a social sciences background so I am not too sure of going forward.

• 4 months later...
On 3/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, bbbfan said:

I was accepted to Munk, with no funding. Looking at external scholarships to help pay for first year tuition at least. In the final year of my undergraduate B.A. I thought that Munk would give smaller scholarships to a majority of it's admitted candidates, but I guess not. Hopefully the long term benefits outweigh the cost of the program. 

Hi! I'm a current applicant browsing through old forums to kill time (hate the waiting period). Did you end up going to Munk? Was the tuition cost worth it, do you think? Any pros and cons?