Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

Hey everyone,

Well I only submitted my application to NPSIA on April 10th, past the first deadline. My application still says pending initial review. I emailed Tabbatha yesterday, so I  might hear something in the next week or so. Any idea on where the process stands, and what I should be realistically expecting? What is second, will there be one, and if so, has it already been sent out?

A little sad here. 

13 hours ago, Sean M said:

Hey everyone,

Well I only submitted my application to NPSIA on April 10th, past the first deadline. My application still says pending initial review. I emailed Tabbatha yesterday, so I  might hear something in the next week or so. Any idea on where the process stands, and what I should be realistically expecting? What is second, will there be one, and if so, has it already been sent out?

A little sad here. 

Second round of offers are on a rolling basis, if there is space available, and if your application exceeds those on the waitlist. It’s possible to get in second round of offers, but realistically, it’s probably unlikely. So by space, I mean if they had less acceptance of admissions that year and they are below their student quota for the year which did happened for  fall 2017. 

Hello all, 

To those who have been accepted to the MGA program at Munk, have you been getting any more emails from them? I have been sending emails to Kevin and havent been getting any emails since May 14. Last year, when I accepted the offer, Megan sent "Welcome" email in April (I later deferred) and this year, I haven't gotten it and May is going to be over soon. Is this true to those who have accepted their offer as well? International student here. Please let me know! 

On 4/18/2019 at 10:24 PM, lily22 said:

I was put on the waitlist last year and I emailed the old MGA coordinator a ton for updates (at least once a month). They probably got annoyed with me but it was worth it to email them because they were very realistic with my chances, and their responses allowed me to move on from the program and start looking for a job.

They flat out told me that they over-admitted students -- they admitted 120 students instead of 80 -- and they would only start to accept off the waitlist if the number dropped back to 80. They also told me there were still another 80 other students ON the waitlist. The chances of being admitted off the waitlist were thus slim to none and I was encouraged to pursue other avenues and reapply the next year. 

Even if they can't tell you your chances (re: rankings), they may be able to be honest with you in the likelihood of the waitlist opening up anytime soon. 

Hi @lily22 have you been getting any emails from MGA? Last year, we got Welcome emails on April (I was accepted last year and then later deferred). This year, not yet and May is almost over. The new coordinator also doesn't seem to reply to any of my emails. I called them too but no answer. 

On 4/26/2019 at 6:24 AM, Kaspara said:

Hey all, popping into this thread to offer some advice and guidance for anyone who needs it. I've just graduated from Munk, so I've got lots to say about the program (I also got accepted to NPSIA and GSPIA).

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!

@Kaspara How was your experience at Munk? I will be starting there this fall and would like to know how everything related, from classes to networking opportunities and so on. Thanks!

On 3/25/2019 at 12:34 PM, lily22 said:

Has anyone who was admitted to Munk accepted their offer yet? Would anyone be interested in forming a group on FB? I have so many questions & figured maybe students could share their knowledge with each other

@lily22 Has one already been made? I have a lot of questions too! 

Hello everyone, an update. My application on Carleton's website just changed to "recommended for assessment", for NPSIA. What does this mean, and should I be excited?

21 hours ago, limbsun said:

Hello all, 

To those who have been accepted to the MGA program at Munk, have you been getting any more emails from them? I have been sending emails to Kevin and havent been getting any emails since May 14. Last year, when I accepted the offer, Megan sent "Welcome" email in April (I later deferred) and this year, I haven't gotten it and May is going to be over soon. Is this true to those who have accepted their offer as well? International student here. Please let me know! 

I haven't heard anything either after I accepted my offer. Was feeling kind of paranoid about it haha.

Just now, SIqbal said:

I haven't heard anything either after I accepted my offer. Was feeling kind of paranoid about it haha.

Just got an email (finally!) from Kevin saying, "Thanks for getting in touch.  No emails have gone out as of yet.  You can expect to hear from us throughout the summer." Last year was early but I guess this year, we'll hear from them starting June. Anyways, no worries now. Congrats on being accepted at Munk! 

Just got accepted into NPSIA yesterday. Questions for you guys. I did not get an offer for anything on my preference form. Is this normal? I applied after the first deadline so maybe they ran out of room? Is there an option to changed specializations later on? 

I emailed Tabbatha to inquire about my rejection, the grad committee noted that I was missing 10 credits of IR related courses. I have a degree in history and my uni counted history outside of Canada as an IR credit. She also mentioned that completing introductory Econ with a B- final grade increases likelihood of admission. So even if the course syllabus sets up the course to cover imperialism and other topics related to IR, note that your transcript will only say the course name and the admission committee will go from there. 

Hey everyone. I've been reading through this forum for a while but finally decided to create an account. I have a few questions and I apologize if I am repeating questions that have been already asked. I was accepted to the GSPIA program at Ottawa. I personally am bilingual but it is more verbal than written. I grew up as a half French half American in the southwestern part of the United States so personally I didn't have many people to write with in French and mostly just spoke in French to family. How hard are the French classes in the GSPIA program? My next question is to do with the CO-OPs.  I am a permanent resident of Canada and will be applying for citizenship in July (that's when I qualify to apply). Would I be limited on where I can do co-ops due to not being a citizen till possibly next July? My last question is I was wondering if there is a Facebook group for incoming GSPIA students and where would I go to find this group?

7 hours ago, cj_eastin said:

Hey everyone. I've been reading through this forum for a while but finally decided to create an account. I have a few questions and I apologize if I am repeating questions that have been already asked. I was accepted to the GSPIA program at Ottawa. I personally am bilingual but it is more verbal than written. I grew up as a half French half American in the southwestern part of the United States so personally I didn't have many people to write with in French and mostly just spoke in French to family. How hard are the French classes in the GSPIA program? My next question is to do with the CO-OPs.  I am a permanent resident of Canada and will be applying for citizenship in July (that's when I qualify to apply). Would I be limited on where I can do co-ops due to not being a citizen till possibly next July? My last question is I was wondering if there is a Facebook group for incoming GSPIA students and where would I go to find this group?

There's a Facebook page called UOttawa GSPIA/ESAPI ! 

anyone going to Munk wants to start the facebook group for Class of 2021 with me? I need at least one person to start the group and be the admin too. Please let me know. ?

On 5/29/2019 at 12:48 AM, cj_eastin said:

From my understanding of the  bilingualism policy at uOttawa (and probably at GSPIA too), students can write assignments and exams in their preferred language (so French lecture but English paper/exam). 

I would assume that not having Canadian citizenship would disqualify you from government positions, but check with GSPIA or uOttawa's co-op office.

There's a GSPIA group on FB (as snowflake96 mentioned), but I haven't been accepted into it despite requesting access in April...

On 5/29/2019 at 3:48 PM, Successica said:

Is there a Facebook page for the NPSIA class of 2021?

No one's made one yet, I'd be down to create one together! Better to have at least a couple admins id it gets big

On 6/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, Liv297 said:

Hey, does anyone know if there's a npsia class of 2021 Facebook group yet? And if not, would anyone be interested in getting one started?

I'd be happy to make a NPSIA group with you, if you haven't already! It looks like one hasn't been created yet. ?