Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

17 minutes ago, poppy01 said:

Congrats!!! Did your status change for NPSIA or did you just get a letter?

No mention of funding from Munk either and on Carleton central it still says Review in progress but full disclosure, I haven't  gotten a letter yet either. 

Tabbatha  emailed me last week to ask if I was willing to be considered for a field I hadn't indicated on my application because my top three were full. She emailed me back in response  to that and said that I had been admitted and should get an official email/letter in a day or two

Also just got my official acceptance to Munk - woo! - but no mention funding. Does anyone know if we just didn't get any then? Seems kinda outrageous to be a first-round admit and not receive entrance scholarship.. especially when the program is 25K a year. 

5 minutes ago, Timbit said:

Also just got my official acceptance to Munk - woo! - but no mention funding. Does anyone know if we just didn't get any then? Seems kinda outrageous to be a first-round admit and not receive entrance scholarship.. especially when the program is 25K a year. 

Same here. (woo!)

Maybe it has something to do with Ford? Does anyone know if U of T has made an official statement on how the funding cut will affect scholarships?

14 minutes ago, Timbit said:

CONGRATULATIONS! I can see your point about the tuition cost being very high and not have an entrance scholarship. However, it is a great honor to have been accepted to this program. Yes, 50K is a large sum however the opportunities will more than outweigh that cost! Again, CONGRATS you're in!!!! :) :) :)

1 minute ago, CaptinCaptin said:

CONGRATULATIONS! I can see your point about the tuition cost being very high and not have an entrance scholarship. However, it is a great honor to have been accepted to this program. Yes, 50K is a large sum however the opportunities will more than outweigh that cost! Again, CONGRATS you're in!!!! :) :) :)

Thanks CaptinCaptin! Yes, it is definitely an accomplishment and a very exciting moment, but with 2 other offers on the table with 70% funding or full funding, it is hard to justify 50K. ? But hey! that means I may be clearing up a spot for someone waiting to hear haha. 

56 minutes ago, Timbit said:

Congrats to everyone who got in! (Sorry that I just got involved and was lurking before). Regarding your question about funding, there was a letter attached to my acceptance email that gave me an entrance scholarship (which answers your question whether they are giving them out funding this year or not).

Edited by Ana2019

28 minutes ago, Ana2019 said:

Congrats to everyone who got in! (Sorry that I just got involved and was lurking before). Regarding your question about funding, there was a letter attached to my acceptance email that gave me an entrance scholarship (which answers your question whether they are giving them out funding this year or not).

Congrats that's awesome! Are you comfortable sharing the funding amount your received?

Hello everyone,

Congratulations to those who got acceptance to Munk! I wish to know is there any international student that got an acceptance? I am an international student that applied for this program but have heard nothing.

Edited by AndresMa

Hey!

I'm an international student and I got may acceptance today. No mention of funding. Which is heartbreaking because the fees for international students is 37K$ a year just for tuition.

Congrats to everyone else who got in!

If there are any current students here, could you tell us about scholarships/funding later on (and if international students can also apply to them?)

Hi y'all,

I just stumbled upon this forum (this would have been so helpful during my application, but anyhow), but I have some questions in relation to my GSPIA offer (which has an acceptance deadline of March 28th).

To anybody who has accepted their GSPIA offer, did you get an exact figure for tuition? UOttawa's tuition calculator is confusing to me, and the admin never answered my questions regarding tuition (my offer unfortunately doesn't have a funding package).

GSPIA is my last place school and Munk is my first place, out of four schools. From what I've read so far from this forum, it seems like Munk has been very disorganized with their admissions. Should I accept my GSPIA offer near/at my deadline and then rescind it when I get an offer from Munk (my last name starts with Y...) Or should I ask for an extension? If I should ask for an extension, how should I do it? 

For those with a cat's curiosity, the other two schools I applied to were UBC's MPPGA and NPSIA (I prefer UBC over Carleton).

Thanks for answering, good luck to everybody waiting, and congrats to those who've accepted their offers!

Edited by maple_panda

25 minutes ago, maple_panda said:

Hi y'all,

I just stumbled upon this forum (this would have been so helpful during my application, but anyhow), but I have some questions in relation to my GSPIA offer (which has an acceptance deadline of March 28th).

To anybody who has accepted their GSPIA offer, did you get an exact figure for tuition? UOttawa's tuition calculator is confusing to me, and the admin never answered my questions regarding tuition (my offer unfortunately doesn't have a funding package).

GSPIA is my last place school and Munk is my first place, out of four schools. From what I've read so far from this forum, it seems like Munk has been very disorganized with their admissions. Should I accept my GSPIA offer near/at my deadline and then rescind it when I get an offer from Munk (my last name starts with Y...) Or should I ask for an extension? If I should ask for an extension, how should I do it? 

For those with a cat's curiosity, the other two schools I applied to were UBC's MPPGA and NPSIA (I prefer UBC over Carleton).

Thanks for answering, good luck to everybody waiting, and congrats to those who've accepted their offers!

I’m not sure when you have to get back to GSPIA by, but the program coordinator at Munk told my friend that all students would be notified of the status of their application within the next few days. 

Many acceptances have already gone out from Munk yesterday and it’s not in alphabetical order. I would wait it out a bit longer if you can — you should hear back from Munk soon. 

3 hours ago, lily22 said:

I’m not sure when you have to get back to GSPIA by, but the program coordinator at Munk told my friend that all students would be notified of the status of their application within the next few days. 

Many acceptances have already gone out from Munk yesterday and it’s not in alphabetical order. I would wait it out a bit longer if you can — you should hear back from Munk soon. 

My file still says 'UNDER REVIEW'.  Given that 'many acceptances' have been sent from Munk already I am going to assume my application was not successful.  I will wait till the bars open at 11AM and then ruminate over a few beers about why I even bothered applying.  

This is super depressing. 

6 minutes ago, poutinead said:

My file still says 'UNDER REVIEW'.  Given that 'many acceptances' have been sent from Munk already I am going to assume my application was not successful.  I will wait till the bars open at 11AM and then ruminate over a few beers about why I even bothered applying.  

This is super depressing. 

In previous years, they've notified applicants over 5-6 days (e.g. in rounds)! Plus, "many people" only pertains to the amount of folks who posted on this forum. There are still 80 spots in the program and we don't know how many others have or have not heard back!.

I would still wait it out :) Plus, you could always contact Munk and ask if all acceptances have gone out already or not. 

Rooting for you!!

12 hours ago, Munkin said:

Got my official acceptance letter too! No mention of funding either. Could any current students speak to whether this means funding is out the window? How are opportunities for scholarships/grants later?

Current student
RE: funding
Munk is expensive. But in my opinion it's the best program in Canada because of its international recognition (UofT and Munk compared to Carlton and NPSIA) but that's my obviously a biased opinion. $25k a year, minus 6.5k from OSAP and 5k that Munk gave us in Jan/Feb from their extra finances (I think it's called UTAPS) that's less than 15k... yeah it's a lot, but that's Munk for you. Can't really help you out otherwise, you need to make that decision on your own because it is very important.... but then what's the long run diff between 15k a year and 7-8k somewhere  else.
There are a few scholarships available here and there, and a few RAships, but don't count on it.

I just got waitlisted! I am so relieved! Congrats to all who got in on the first round.

A question about waitlisting... could it have something to do with me being in my final year of by B.A. right now? I only applied with my grades from 1, 2, 3 years. I am not sure how many people apply while they are still completing their undergrads.