Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

hey guys,

If anyone here is still waiting on offers, there is some good news. I had mailed Tabbatha a week ago to ask if offers were all sent out. She replied today saying that international student offers haven't yet gone out. They're supposed to be rolling out offers to international students over the next two weeks. Fingers crossed everyone!

7 hours ago, I'mnotanxious said:

hey guys,

If anyone here is still waiting on offers, there is some good news. I had mailed Tabbatha a week ago to ask if offers were all sent out. She replied today saying that international student offers haven't yet gone out. They're supposed to be rolling out offers to international students over the next two weeks. Fingers crossed everyone!

Hi!!!! Do you think this could be the case for several universities? Whatt did she say? Im an intl student waiting on Balsillie

Hey everyone,

I had a question for you all regarding NPSIA. How would it compare to an MPP program? Not a specific program, but rather a Master of Arts versus a Master of Public Policy? NPSIA is supposed to be the foremost program for those looking to work in policy, which would typically be the job of someone graduating with an MPP? Can someone please explain to me why people would want to go to NPSIA instead of doing something like Carleton's MPPA?

Please do ask for elaboration if the question isn't clear.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, ladenisse said:

Hi!!!! Do you think this could be the case for several universities? Whatt did she say? Im an intl student waiting on Balsillie

I'm not too sure since I only applied to Munk and NPSIA. She just said that they were going to be sending out offers to intl students in the next week or two. 

Anyone else have this happen to them? On Tuesday NPSIA emailed me to let me know they had reviewed my file for the MA-JD but in order to make a final decision needed my fall term grades. Those grades were definitely included in the transcript from my initial application so I'm wondering what could have happened/when I might expect to hear back about the joint program.

1 hour ago, goodlord said:

Anyone else have this happen to them? On Tuesday NPSIA emailed me to let me know they had reviewed my file for the MA-JD but in order to make a final decision needed my fall term grades. Those grades were definitely included in the transcript from my initial application so I'm wondering what could have happened/when I might expect to hear back about the joint program.

Did you resend your transcripts to OLSAS? If not, that may be what’s going on. 

On 3/28/2019 at 11:00 PM, Tim Horton said:

Hey everyone,

I had a question for you all regarding NPSIA. How would it compare to an MPP program? Not a specific program, but rather a Master of Arts versus a Master of Public Policy? NPSIA is supposed to be the foremost program for those looking to work in policy, which would typically be the job of someone graduating with an MPP? Can someone please explain to me why people would want to go to NPSIA instead of doing something like Carleton's MPPA?

Please do ask for elaboration if the question isn't clear.

Thank you!

Have you compared the classes? I think when you look at the program's offerings you'll see the distinct differences.

https://calendar.carleton.ca/grad/gradprograms/publicadministration/#courseinventory

https://calendar.carleton.ca/grad/gradprograms/internationalaffairs/#courseinventory

On 3/28/2019 at 5:46 PM, ladenisse said:

Which Balsillie program did you apply to? Both programs are quite small and have sent out first round offers, but to the best of my knowledge, have not sent out 2nd round working their way through the waitlist. They have sent out some rejections, meaning if you didn't receive one you are likely waitlisted.

You can always email them and ask, they are very nice.

26 minutes ago, Timbit said:

Which Balsillie program did you apply to? Both programs are quite small and have sent out first round offers, but to the best of my knowledge, have not sent out 2nd round working their way through the waitlist. They have sent out some rejections, meaning if you didn't receive one you are likely waitlisted.

You can always email them and ask, they are very nice.

I have sent them emails but I haven't gotten an answer :( I applied to the MIPP (wlu)

1 hour ago, poppy01 said:

Have any canadian applicants heard anything from NPSIA? Can we at least get a rejection notice, sheesh ?

First round admissions already went out. I'm sure they are waiting on those applicants to accept or decline before they make another round of admissions.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:10 PM, poppy01 said:

Have any canadian applicants heard anything from NPSIA? Can we at least get a rejection notice, sheesh ?

Also waiting, I believe they're focused on the MA-JD acceptances the past two weeks. Hopefully, we get an answer by the end of April on our status at the very least. Otherwise, godspeed to all those still waiting! NPSIA has been notorious for neglecting to message waitlisted students on the status of their application. 

Hi everyone. I have been accepted to both SIDGS and GSPIA at uOttawa but I don't know which one to choose. On one hand with SIDGS, there is much more funding provided with the 33k admission scholarship whereas for GSPIA, it is just 12k + merit scholarship. For SIDGS, there is also the option of accelerated-PhD. Is SIDGS inferior to GSPIA in any way? What are the main differences between the two programs? I would really appreciate any help.

1 hour ago, Atrea said:

Hi everyone. I have been accepted to both SIDGS and GSPIA at uOttawa but I don't know which one to choose. On one hand with SIDGS, there is much more funding provided with the 33k admission scholarship whereas for GSPIA, it is just 12k + merit scholarship. For SIDGS, there is also the option of accelerated-PhD. Is SIDGS inferior to GSPIA in any way? What are the main differences between the two programs? I would really appreciate any help.

What are your end goals?

NPSIA changed my status to “recommended for assessment”. Second rounds of offers will trickle in from now until august depending on availability. 

Good luck everyone ☺️ And remember there’s life outside academia! 

57 minutes ago, diplomaniac said:

NPSIA changed my status to “recommended for assessment”. Second rounds of offers will trickle in from now until august depending on availability. 

Good luck everyone ☺️ And remember there’s life outside academia! 

Hey!! Congrats on your status change, that's a really good sign! Did you e-mail tabatha to learn about your status and the second round of admissions or did you check on Carleton? 

Hi guys. I’m also an international applicant from India for NPSIA. My status on the Carleton portal is “recommended for assessment” since almost 2 weeks now. I called  Tabbatha yesterday and she told me that international applicants will get their offers starting Monday. She told me that this is the first round of admissions and that she will email everyone with the status. It won’t  reflect on the Carleton Portal is what she told me.  

4 hours ago, poppy01 said:

Hey!! Congrats on your status change, that's a really good sign! Did you e-mail tabatha to learn about your status and the second round of admissions or did you check on Carleton? 

I should preface I’m a domestic student. I logged into my Central account and saw the change. It can take up to 2 weeks for designations to change, and some people said on this thread saw this change last week of March. 

Im just annoyed because I have to gamble whether or not I should take Econ courses. But regardless of my prospect this year, if I don’t get accepted I’ll still apply next year so I guess get that Econ out of the way ??‍♀️  

Hey guys!

Congratulations to everyone on here who got in!

I'm a domestic student and Carleton Central for NPSIA still says "under review by department". I'm slightly confused as this means that I'm on waitlist or that I'm not getting in? Doesn't NPSIA send out rejections if that's the deal? 

I did email Tabattha last week about it but still haven't heard back. Also, are NPSIA admissions all out now (except international?)

10 hours ago, cynthias03 said:

Hey guys!

Congratulations to everyone on here who got in!

I'm a domestic student and Carleton Central for NPSIA still says "under review by department". I'm slightly confused as this means that I'm on waitlist or that I'm not getting in? Doesn't NPSIA send out rejections if that's the deal? 

I did email Tabattha last week about it but still haven't heard back. Also, are NPSIA admissions all out now (except international?)

my offer for npsia expires on monday and i know for a lot of my friends who got an extension, their offer expires on the same day. i think second round offers have already gone out so you may possibly be waitlisted (idk) but anyway, you should probably hear back next week, as more people make their final decisions on monday on which offers to accept and spots open up!