Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

1 hour ago, mppa said:

Munk is definitely more professional. It's also important that your Masters and PhD are from different universities (from what profs have told me). I would probably pick a less professional program for Masters if you know 100% you want to go into academia and then do a PhD a UofT. That's a common pattern I've seen with a lot of profs.

I went to the Munk open house in November and I believe the percentage of MGA graduates who went on to a PhD was around 6% (they had published this somewhere in a booklet I believe).  The vast majority (I think around 80%) went on to full time employment. There was a small number that entered MBA/JD programs. 

It is geared towards those who wish to enter employment upon graduation.  That being said, there are MRP options in second year and if admitted, I would likely keep my options open since I might still wish to enter a PhD program.  

15 minutes ago, Chrisopps said:

Got admission to queens MPA today! But it’s a one year program with focus on health policy etc. Still waiting for other options

Congratulations...Queens told me this morning that successful applicants (for the MA program in political studies) would be notified in the next 'few days'...so here goes....

Waterloo BSIA has an open house on the 15th of March.  I thought it was curious to get an invite to the open house...when my application is still pending..but perhaps I am reading too much into it..

1 minute ago, Chrisopps said:

It’s mpa. But I check the website and looks like it’s mostly Social policies related including health, senior etc

GSPIA or Carleton? I applied to GSPIA because I felt like it was a bit more theoretical with the mandatory MRP component and they have great health policy hubs there. I’m just looking out for people like me who are interesting in health policy!!

1 minute ago, bessyk1993 said:

GSPIA or Carleton? I applied to GSPIA because I felt like it was a bit more theoretical with the mandatory MRP component and they have great health policy hubs there. I’m just looking out for people like me who are interesting in health policy!!

It’s queens sorry. Btw what is mrp?

Edited by Chrisopps

On 2/21/2019 at 2:54 PM, Chrisopps said:

Masters and PhD from different schools doesn’t make sense to me. Why?

Imagine having 3 degrees from the same university lol.. your undergrad, masters and PhD. Or both of your graduate degrees from the same university, apparently it doesn't look good when applying to academic positions, and this is what many profs have told me in the past. I think it's also because connections have been built already, and possibly the inability to adapt to different environments where grading, and teaching is very different. 

Edited by mppa

5 hours ago, Chrisopps said:

Got admission to queens MPA today! But it’s a one year program with focus on health policy etc. Still waiting for other options

5 hours ago, Chrisopps said:

It’s queens sorry. Btw what is mrp?

Got accepted in to Queen's MA program (political studies)....$13K funding with a TA thingy..

14 minutes ago, poutinead said:

Got accepted in to Queen's MA program (political studies)....$13K funding with a TA thingy..

Congratulations! Queens mpa is just one year. I am thinking of quickly finishing it and work for govt or apply PhD in the states

10 minutes ago, GradSchoolWot said:

Little surprised NPSIA hasn't gotten back yet. Last year they sent acceptances out last Friday. Maybe they had a more competitive pool this time?

Maybe the admissions committee is behind because there has been so many snow days in Ontario this year.

1 hour ago, GradSchoolWot said:

Little surprised NPSIA hasn't gotten back yet. Last year they sent acceptances out last Friday. Maybe they had a more competitive pool this time?

There’s been a lot of snow days in Ontario lately. Also, I’m only speculating but a law student friend of mine at York said that the Ontario schools have been stressed out over Doug Ford’s tuition cut and have been struggling with figuring out how that will affect their budget and how they’ll be able to make up the difference. With that being said, I also wouldn’t be surprised if funding packages suck this year. NPSIA also started their application review on Feb 15th which is a Friday, so I suspect they actually started reviewing later than that. 

I expect lettrs to go out beginning of March to mid-March for first round. 

19 hours ago, diplomaniac said:

There’s been a lot of snow days in Ontario lately. Also, I’m only speculating but a law student friend of mine at York said that the Ontario schools have been stressed out over Doug Ford’s tuition cut and have been struggling with figuring out how that will affect their budget and how they’ll be able to make up the difference. With that being said, I also wouldn’t be surprised if funding packages suck this year. NPSIA also started their application review on Feb 15th which is a Friday, so I suspect they actually started reviewing later than that. 

I expect lettrs to go out beginning of March to mid-March for first round. 

Yeah this is about what I'm expecting both in terms of timelines and funding. Doesn't make it less stressful. I know Carleton Central is terrible for updating but I still go back to check if I've moved from Recommended for Assessment every couple hours.

4 hours ago, revalith said:

Yeah this is about what I'm expecting both in terms of timelines and funding. Doesn't make it less stressful. I know Carleton Central is terrible for updating but I still go back to check if I've moved from Recommended for Assessment every couple hours.

According to last years thread, Tabbatha said that the committee’s due date for decisions was beginning to mid March. Last year, for whatever reason, they were able to finish it the last week of Feb (which was their goal). However, profs have other priorities this year and the tuition cut may be adding more stress to universities as it affects various departments differently. I personally prefer March because most schools send out acceptance letters around then, as well. It gives people time to weigh their options, make more timely decisions and, in turn, allows for the wait list keeps moving. On average most institutions take 6-8 weeks to make a decision, factoring in the committee and admin’s personal deadlines that they may have to meet. 

Also, Tabbatha personally emails those accepted BEFORE their status changes on Carleton Central. Even then, some people who got accepted first round had their status under “Recommended for Assement”. 

It’s stressful but it’s out of our control, we can’t really spam or demand the committee to be more timely for our sake. Don’t let this weigh you down. ? Constantly stressing about something out of your control only does more harm than good. 

Edited by diplomaniac

2 minutes ago, diplomaniac said:

According to last years thread, Tabbatha said that the committee’s due date for decisions was beginning to mid March. Last year, for whatever reason, they were able to finish it the last week of Feb (which was their goal). However, profs have other priorities this year and the tuition cut may be adding more stress to universities as it affects various departments differently. I personally prefer March because most schools send out acceptance letters around then, as well. It gives people time to weigh their options, make more timely decisions and, in turn, allows for the wait list keeps moving. On average most institutions take 6-8 weeks to make a decision, factoring in the committee and admin’s personal deadlines that they may have to meet. 

Also, Tabbatha personally emails those accepted BEFORE their status changes on Carleton Central. Even then, some people who got accepted first round had their status under “Recommended for Assement”.  

It’s stressful but it’s out of our control, we can’t really spam or demand the committee to be more timely for our sake. Don’t let this weigh you down. ? Constantly stressing about something out of your control only does more harm than good. 

I didn't realize she sent out emails ahead of time. That's good to know. I'm pretty sure it'd be a while before I heard anyway because my last reference submitted on the last possible day even though my application was done way before then.

I'm not even stressed about the getting in, I'm just stressed about not knowing. My parents are on my back asking what I'm doing next year which is just entirely unhelpful. I'm starting my job hunt now regardless, but I'm a person that likes to have plans and backup plans upon backup plans for long-term goals, so this uncertainty sucks.

2 hours ago, revalith said:

I didn't realize she sent out emails ahead of time. That's good to know. I'm pretty sure it'd be a while before I heard anyway because my last reference submitted on the last possible day even though my application was done way before then.

I'm not even stressed about the getting in, I'm just stressed about not knowing. My parents are on my back asking what I'm doing next year which is just entirely unhelpful. I'm starting my job hunt now regardless, but I'm a person that likes to have plans and backup plans upon backup plans for long-term goals, so this uncertainty sucks.

I’m also a long term planner, but long term planning also requires flexibility has nothing is ever concrete. I think job hunting is great, do both and cover all grounds. As for parents, I told them that I was getting more experience in my field, while saving up for more school (for reference I took a 2 year long gap year, and interned abroad. Best decision I’ve ever made). 

Plans are great, but remember to be flexible and not get fixated. 

Just got accepted to GSPIA!! Stats: I have an A-  cumulative GPA and an A final year GPA. Have worked for the provincial government twice during my summers, studied abroad in France in my third year, and a lot of volunteer experience throughout my undergrad. Best of luck to everyone still waiting from GSPIA!

Edited by snowflake96

20 minutes ago, poutinead said:

Congratulations!...do you mind sharing 'stats'?

Sure! I applied with a 3.85GPA, no prior experience in policy or public affairs ( I did take economics courses and a health policy course) or academic research experience but I have extensive experience in the healthcare realm (I am a HCP) and I think I had very strong academic reference letters from my upper year academic courses. So here is for those applying with work experience unrelated to public policy or public affairs, there is definitely a good chance youll still get in!