Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

6 hours ago, revalith said:

I just got my funding package from NPSIA even though they said it’d take a few weeks. 26k, including scholarships, TAships and RA. They only gave me a 1/2 TAship for second year but that’s almost certainly based on the fact that I did advanced standing courses with them and might not take the full 2 years. 

How did you get your funding package? Was it through email? (sorry for posting twice I am not exactly sure how to use this forum yet)

4 minutes ago, eyeb said:

How did you get your funding package? Was it through email? (sorry for posting twice I am not exactly sure how to use this forum yet)

No, it came through with the official offer of admittance in Carleton Central. My application status went from Recommend to Assessment -> Review in Progress -> Decision Made in <24 hours, it was really weird how it suddenly updated.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:05 AM, pokegenie said:

Hey Guys,

Just received an unofficial letter of acceptance with funding for NPSIA 2019!

I am so relieved!

Has your status changed yet on Carleton Central?

1 hour ago, revalith said:

No, it came through with the official offer of admittance in Carleton Central. My application status went from Recommend to Assessment -> Review in Progress -> Decision Made in <24 hours, it was really weird how it suddenly updated.

Wow that's an awesome funding package, congrats!

I am nervous because i received an email saying I was accepted with funding but on Carleton Central it still says Recommend to Assessment. I am nervous because I know I didn't have the econ requirements :(. I hope they didn't email me by mistake

8 hours ago, eyeb said:

Wow that's an awesome funding package, congrats!

I am nervous because i received an email saying I was accepted with funding but on Carleton Central it still says Recommend to Assessment. I am nervous because I know I didn't have the econ requirements :(. I hope they didn't email me by mistake

I also didn't have the econ requirements, so my offer is conditional on re-taking intro micro and macro. But they still offered me significant funding, so don't worry!

50 minutes ago, chloe123 said:

I also didn't have the econ requirements, so my offer is conditional on re-taking intro micro and macro. But they still offered me significant funding, so don't worry!

omg thank you !! you just made me feeel a thousand times better :)

When did your status change on Carlton Central?

2 hours ago, eyeb said:

omg thank you !! you just made me feeel a thousand times better :)

When did your status change on Carlton Central?

I got the email saying I was accepted with funding on Wednesday. On Friday my status changed from Recommended for Assessment to something like "Review in Progress by the Department" and then again to "Review in Progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs". At the end of the day on Friday I got an email notifying me that my official offer had been uploaded in Carleton Central. It was weird because they said it could take 2-3 weeks for it to show up, but it was there in 3 days.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:43 PM, v_vexed said:

Yep, she got a job with the Alberta government as a policy analyst. She was also heavily interested in energy sustainability so I think she did some work with the Minister of Energy

That's good to know. I've looked up graduates of UofC's MPP on LinkedIn and some of them seem to be working non-policy jobs, compared to graduates from Ryerson or UofT. So I'm glad to hear this. 

Edited by CoconutAvocado

Hi everyone! Been following along this thread but haven't posted yet. Got accepted into GSPIA last night! Does anyone know where to find funding packages? Mine wasn't in the Admissions tab (I think) or in the official acceptance letter. Also, I've heard NPSIA has a better reputation than GSPIA (in general and for government jobs) in Ottawa - can anyone confirm that/provide insight?

I'm still waiting to hear back from NPSIA and SIDGS. Hope to find out soon! 

Heard back from SIDGS and my admission offer is refused ?  only applied there and NPSIA... kinda worried for NPSIA now. If helpful, I don’t mind posting my stats. 

35 minutes ago, diplomaniac said:

Heard back from SIDGS and my admission offer is refused ?  only applied there and NPSIA... kinda worried for NPSIA now. If helpful, I don’t mind posting my stats. 

I'm sorry to hear that. Were you notified via email?

Edited by snowflake96

1 hour ago, snowflake96 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Were you notified via email?

Already spoke to you via private message but I’ll post it here for people to read. I received an email this morning notifying me that they had updated my admission file. The time stamp said a decision was made on a March 3, 2019. 

58 minutes ago, diplomaniac said:

Already spoke to you via private message but I’ll post it here for people to read. I received an email this morning notifying me that they had updated my admission file. The time stamp said a decision was made on a March 3, 2019. 

Dang, hopefully NPSIA works out for you.

Do you mind posting your stats btw?

Just now, v_vexed said:

Dang, hopefully NPSIA works out for you.

Do you mind posting your stats btw?

My LOI was written with NPSIA in mind, definitely weak on the research component. Not a big deal though! My heart wasn’t in that school. PM me and I’ll send you my stats! 

For my NPSIA funding package, it says on Carleton Central that they are for 2019 - 2020 and I am just wondering if anyone knows if that amount is for over the two years as a whole, or if they will be recalculating the funding for 2020/2021? 

Edit: Never mind, I just re-read my letter and realized all the information was online lol

Edited by moon-girl

1 hour ago, moon-girl said:

For my NPSIA funding package, it says on Carleton Central that they are for 2019 - 2020 and I am just wondering if anyone knows if that amount is for over the two years as a whole, or if they will be recalculating the funding for 2020/2021? 

Edit: Never mind, I just re-read my letter and realized all the information was online lol

NVM

Edited by eyeb

On 3/2/2019 at 12:50 AM, eyeb said:

Has your status changed yet on Carleton Central?

Yes, it changed from "recommended for assessment" to  "being reviewed by the graduate dept" or something along those lines. I haven't yet received any funding information.

Edited by pokegenie

On 3/1/2019 at 11:07 PM, revalith said:

That is awesome! Congratulations. It is a really good package.

2 hours ago, pokegenie said:

That is awesome! Congratulations. It is a really good package.

Thank you :) My friend (same program) also just heard back today with the same package. I know some people were concerned about funding being reduced but at least based on people I talked to who went from my program to NPSIA last year, it seems about comparable.

Edited by revalith

4 hours ago, Munkin said:

Any word on when Munk decisions come out? (Should be soon...)

Munk acceptances didn't come out for most people last year until at least March 9th, and then others heard back from the waitlist on March 13th. I think most will hear back next week.

Hey all!

Just posting here to try and cure some anxiety (not sure if me lurking these forums in the first place is good for it!).

Stats: UofT Undergaduate; 81.5% average in final 2 years courses (but translates in GPA to 3.54, unless they take the % and then give me a corresponding GPA which in that case is a 3.7). President and Co Founder of a political student's association, political canvasser, 4 LOR's, and IMO, a very strong PS. 

I applied to Munk, Waterloo's MPS, and Ryerson's MPPA. 

Anyone have any word on my chances? I am freaking out, the anxiety is really killing me. Any acceptance would really really calm the nerves. 

Thanks to anyone who replies and good luck to all!!

1 hour ago, StefonDiggs14 said:

81.5% average in final 2 years courses (but translates in GPA to 3.54, unless they take the % and then give me a corresponding GPA which in that case

Your stats sound solid to me! Those are some great extracurriculars.

I'm curious about your GPA calculation. How did you get 3.54 and 3.7 for 81.5%? I have a similar GPA and couldn't really find a reliable way to convert it to a 4.0 scale. What methods did you use? Thanks :)