What is your plan B?

This is my first year applying but I applied to one program that started in the spring. Sadly, I was put on the waiting list but they did not end up taking anyone from the waiting list, so my plan B is looking for other programs that start in the fall. This means I will have almost a year off school and I don't know if I should take some classes to boost my GPA, work, or travel for work ( like a nanny or teaching English in a different country). I have a lot of hours of experience observing, shadowing and interning with SLPs in different settings. Any jobs that you know of related to the field that you can do with just a Bachelors Degree?

My plan B is somewhat fuzzy, I'm hoping to get in somewhere! I'm applying to a lot of schools because I'm nervous I won't. Right now, I'm taking a gap year so if I do not get in anywhere, I think I will try to become an SLPA. Where I did my undergrad offers a really good program, and then I can work while I keep applying. 

16 hours ago, Ali_Irene13 said:

This is my first year applying but I applied to one program that started in the spring. Sadly, I was put on the waiting list but they did not end up taking anyone from the waiting list, so my plan B is looking for other programs that start in the fall. This means I will have almost a year off school and I don't know if I should take some classes to boost my GPA, work, or travel for work ( like a nanny or teaching English in a different country). I have a lot of hours of experience observing, shadowing and interning with SLPs in different settings. Any jobs that you know of related to the field that you can do with just a Bachelors Degree?

You can be a SLPA. That’s what I have been doing for the past year and I have a bachelors degree. 

56 minutes ago, KendallSLPA said:

You can be a SLPA. That’s what I have been doing for the past year and I have a bachelors degree. 

Thank you for the advice! I have been thinking about being a SLPA but the town I live doesn't have SLPA jobs only Para. To be a SLPA you need to get certified in a program correct? 

18 hours ago, Ali_Irene13 said:

3 hours ago, slptobe! said:

My plan B is somewhat fuzzy, I'm hoping to get in somewhere! I'm applying to a lot of schools because I'm nervous I won't. Right now, I'm taking a gap year so if I do not get in anywhere, I think I will try to become an SLPA. Where I did my undergrad offers a really good program, and then I can work while I keep applying. 

I hope we all get accepted to school. I have been looking into physician assistant programs for plan B.

5 hours ago, Ali_Irene13 said:

Thank you for the advice! I have been thinking about being a SLPA but the town I live doesn't have SLPA jobs only Para. To be a SLPA you need to get certified in a program correct? 

Aw darn that sucks! I’m sorry, my town was actually kind of the same. I got lucky though the SLP who superivised me to get my license actually helped get me a job where she was working. 

But, to be a SLPA, I guess depending on where you live, you have to get licensed. To get licensed, you need to have about 100 hours of interaction with patients under what I believe is 100% supervision of an SLP. Almost like you would be volunteering but you get to work with the clients. The SLP who does this for you will sign off on your hours and you can then apply for a license in your state. It costs about $200-300 if I remember correctly also. I’m not sure if the rules are different in other states though. I am going on Arizona rules since that is where I live. I have a bachelors degree in speech and language sciences and I also received a SLPA certificate from my college where I took classes based on being a SLPA.

Im hoping this experience helps me get into grad school this time around. I am applying for a second time and I didn’t have much experience or anything that made me stand out on my first round of applications. If you have any other questions let me know and good luck! ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 7:29 PM, KendallSLPA said:

Aw darn that sucks! I’m sorry, my town was actually kind of the same. I got lucky though the SLP who superivised me to get my license actually helped get me a job where she was working. 

But, to be a SLPA, I guess depending on where you live, you have to get licensed. To get licensed, you need to have about 100 hours of interaction with patients under what I believe is 100% supervision of an SLP. Almost like you would be volunteering but you get to work with the clients. The SLP who does this for you will sign off on your hours and you can then apply for a license in your state. It costs about $200-300 if I remember correctly also. I’m not sure if the rules are different in other states though. I am going on Arizona rules since that is where I live. I have a bachelors degree in speech and language sciences and I also received a SLPA certificate from my college where I took classes based on being a SLPA.

Im hoping this experience helps me get into grad school this time around. I am applying for a second time and I didn’t have much experience or anything that made me stand out on my first round of applications. If you have any other questions let me know and good luck! ?

Oh goodness! I was complaining about the $150 I paid out when I first got my SLPA licensure! I’m in Texas and as long as you have a BS or BA in CSD you’re pretty much good. The universities offer at least the SLP- supervised 25 hours of observation, few if any offer 25 hours of supervised direct therapy with a client. I completed that on the job.  If you don’t have it in Tx, you complete a deficiency plan and submit the hours to the state within 90 days (I think that’s how long I had to complete my direct therapy) and you’re a licensed assistant. You can remain a licensed assistant for an indefinite amount of time, pending you always comply with keeping the state updated with your SLP supervisor and renew your licensure for $100 every 2 years. In some states like New Mexico, there isn’t an assistant licensure. You’re an apprentice and have 2 years to become a SLP or in a graduate program. There’s currently not a renewal of that licensure, although I’ve heard they are considering to remedy that by allowing assistants to try to alleviate the lack of SLPs. 

Probably will stop applying. This is my 4th round, and I think I"m tired of it. :(  I think I'll still be a good researcher even without PhD. Master should be enough, hopefully. I applied to 2 schools first round, then 10 and 10, for 2nd and 3rd. Now I'm applying to 4 schools. :)