2nd Bachelors to erase 1st bachelors

HI everyone,

I am in my 3rd round of applications and i already have been rejected from my top school and waitlisted at another. I am still waiting to hear from 1 more school and still working on applying to a couple of more schools this round. I was talking to some family members who were asking why is it so hard to get accepted.  I know a big part of my answer was because I have a low gpa from my bachelors degree, 2.7. I have worked really hard to raise my last 60 hours gpa to a still low 3.4 but I worked hard for it.  I have retaken 2 speech courses that I initially recieved C's in and have also taken classes that are not required in the state of Texas to have a SLP assistance license. Oh and I have 4 years of experience as a speech assistance in schools.  My question to all you wonderful speechies is  if this is what is keeping me from being accepted. Is my low undergraduate gpa like a sore thumb sticking out?  I have looked in to getting a second bachelors from ENMU in communication disorders and I believe I only need 3 more courses to achieve it.  Will this help me become a better applicant? What do you guys think?

24 minutes ago, Ggslpa said:

HI everyone,

I am in my 3rd round of applications and i already have been rejected from my top school and waitlisted at another. I am still waiting to hear from 1 more school and still working on applying to a couple of more schools this round. I was talking to some family members who were asking why is it so hard to get accepted.  I know a big part of my answer was because I have a low gpa from my bachelors degree, 2.7. I have worked really hard to raise my last 60 hours gpa to a still low 3.4 but I worked hard for it.  I have retaken 2 speech courses that I initially recieved C's in and have also taken classes that are not required in the state of Texas to have a SLP assistance license. Oh and I have 4 years of experience as a speech assistance in schools.  My question to all you wonderful speechies is  if this is what is keeping me from being accepted. Is my low undergraduate gpa like a sore thumb sticking out?  I have looked in to getting a second bachelors from ENMU in communication disorders and I believe I only need 3 more courses to achieve it.  Will this help me become a better applicant? What do you guys think?

Did you take all of your pre-reqs from ENMU? You never know what will happen with the waitlist and you could still get an acceptance letter or 2! 

1 minute ago, ChristopherTracy said:

Did you take all of your pre-reqs from ENMU? You never know what will happen with the waitlist and you could still get an acceptance letter or 2! 

I didn't. i took all the rest at a  local school. That was a mistake. ENMU was a way better experience. Anyways, funny you should reply bc I was about to jump in on your questions about your transcript pts question. Not sure if this helps but an A is worth 12 points, b is 9 and a C is 6 and a D is 3.  My transcript from ENMU gives me credit total, points total and gpa. Yours doesn't? I wanted to try and help answer your question....lol

3 hours ago, Ggslpa said:

HI everyone,

I would try to meet with an admission advisor at one of the schools you're applying to and ask their opinion. I think getting a second bachelors is too much. Have you considered getting a tutor for the GRE and trying to raise your score to 155+ or applying to less competitive schools? Most online programs are really competitive, perhaps a traditional school will be a better fit.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:13 PM, Toya said:

I would try to meet with an admission advisor at one of the schools you're applying to and ask their opinion. I think getting a second bachelors is too much. Have you considered getting a tutor for the GRE and trying to raise your score to 155+ or applying to less competitive schools? Most online programs are really competitive, perhaps a traditional school will be a better fit.

I'm actually like 3 classes away from qualifying for a 2nd bachlors... I'm just curious as to what it will do for my gpa and how an admission committee views it.  A distance program is my only option right now and as for the gre.... I'll have to start studying for that again bc after this year my scores will be over 5 years old. ?

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, Ggslpa said:

HI everyone,

You seem to already know that your undergrad gpa is low. Many schools have a hard 3.0 cutoff to have you application looked at. I'm sorry to say, but looking at the other schools you applied to, it is not looking good for you. 3 cycles = approximately 3 years, have you considered anything else career wise? 

Some people on this forum have said that applying to new programs was helpful. Since they are only candidates for accreditation and they are new, they may be less competitive. ASHA has a link where you can see every program's accreditation status--look for candidate schools and apply there (at least a couple of them will be online).

Also, I agree with others here that taking a few more classes won't do much for your GPA. Have you focused on other areas of your application? Are you positive that your LORs are well-written and singing your praises? Are your SOPs tailored for each program with explicit focus on why the program is a good fit and how you can benefit them? Have you highlighted your SLPA experience in your SOP? Maybe add to your volunteering experiences? Stats are not the only thing that matters for admission. Play to your strengths as much as you possibly can. I had great stats and still got rejected to a few programs because I did not do enough of the above.

Edited by bibliophile222

On 1/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, Ggslpa said:

HI everyone,

What is your CSD GPA? Are you willing to move?

I am going the 2nd BA route because of my low GPA from my first degree too. I know people think it's a waste of time and money. I think it's the best option for me because I can prove that I changed and am able to maintain a high GPA in the field of Communicative Disorders. I am also attending the program at ENMU if you have any questions about classes. Will I get into grad school? Honestly, I know my chances are slim because no matter how many As I get I still won't have a competitive GPA. 

Edited by KEIM

On 2/16/2019 at 10:14 PM, speechie264 said:

I'm waiting as well. Its killing me...I just want to know!

On 3/2/2019 at 9:59 AM, speechieontherun said:

You seem to already know that your undergrad gpa is low. Many schools have a hard 3.0 cutoff to have you application looked at. I'm sorry to say, but looking at the other schools you applied to, it is not looking good for you. 3 cycles = approximately 3 years, have you considered anything else career wise? 

Hello,

Thanks for your input. I have been placed on multiple waitlists that have a 3.0 cutoff. I know my application is being considered because otherwise why wouldn't I just get a rejection, right? Three years is long, but these last 4 years as a an SLP assistant have been amazing and I can't imagine doing anything else.

1 hour ago, Ggslpa said:

Hello,

Thanks for your input. I have been placed on multiple waitlists that have a 3.0 cutoff. I know my application is being considered because otherwise why wouldn't I just get a rejection, right? Three years is long, but these last 4 years as a an SLP assistant have been amazing and I can't imagine doing anything else.

Good for you! Don’t give up! :)

19 hours ago, KEIM said:

I am going the 2nd BA route because of my low GPA from my first degree too. I know people think it's a waste of time and money. I think it's the best option for me because I can prove that I changed and am able to maintain a high GPA in the field of Communicative Disorders. I am also attending the program at ENMU if you have any questions about classes. Will I get into grad school? Honestly, I know my chances are slim because no matter how many As I get I still won't have a competitive GPA. 

Hi, So you are already pursuing the 2nd bachelors at ENMU or wanting to?

7 hours ago, KEIM said:

I already am. After this semester I only have one class left. 

Did you have  go through dr. Swift or through the registrars office....I'm not sure who to contact first.

1 hour ago, Ggslpa said:

Did you have  go through dr. Swift or through the registrars office....I'm not sure who to contact first.

You have to go through admission and apply to the 2nd BA program. FYI in order for me to qualify for Financial Aid I had to switch to the grad leveling program but depending on how many credits you have from your 1st degree you may qualify. I plan on switching to the 2nd BA in the summer. 

On 3/5/2019 at 6:36 PM, KEIM said:

You have to go through admission and apply to the 2nd BA program. FYI in order for me to qualify for Financial Aid I had to switch to the grad leveling program but depending on how many credits you have from your 1st degree you may qualify. I plan on switching to the 2nd BA in the summer. 

ok great. thanks!!