How do you spend the days?

drfigue

Hey, Y'all! I wanted to create this topic so we could talk about how we spend our days while waiting for responses.

From my side, I started watching soap opera with my grandmother and everything we do is laugh about the characters. I am taking just a few credits to graduate and it's been hard for me to ignore my email, which is one of my daily goals. Other than that, I've been to the beach (Caribbean boi), have started a couple of TV shows on Netflix, and have learned more about cooking.

I'm working full time (finished my undergrad a few years ago).  I'm in touch with a couple of potential advisors at my top choice school, so I've had a few emails/calls back and forth with them about research while I wait to hear.  Aside from that I've been reading relevant papers to build better study habits now, my husband and I have been trying to downsize so we're ready to move in a few months, and I'm watching a fair bit of netflix to distract myself the rest of the time.

Focusing on my current job just feels impossible while I'm waiting.  Although I suppose it won't get much better if I'm accepted? ?

I've been doing my day job, working out a lot, and trying not to stress out too much (sometimes I am successful). Man, what I wouldn't give to live in the Caribbean - you can go outside! It was 11 degrees when I woke up this morning.

1 hour ago, brightorangesocks said:

I'm working full time (finished my undergrad a few years ago).  I'm in touch with a couple of potential advisors at my top choice school, so I've had a few emails/calls back and forth with them about research while I wait to hear.  Aside from that I've been reading relevant papers to build better study habits now, my husband and I have been trying to downsize so we're ready to move in a few months, and I'm watching a fair bit of netflix to distract myself the rest of the time.

Focusing on my current job just feels impossible while I'm waiting.  Although I suppose it won't get much better if I'm accepted? ?

That's great that you've established communication with potential PIs, and even more at your top choice (woohoo!!!).

I know the feeling - I was doing a coop when I first looked for summer internships and that was my worst performance EVER. And you're right, it got even worse when I got accepted, hahaha. Best of luck with your applications and I hope for you to end up being happy with the results!

25 minutes ago, amyvt98 said:

I've been doing my day job, working out a lot, and trying not to stress out too much (sometimes I am successful). Man, what I wouldn't give to live in the Caribbean - you can go outside! It was 11 degrees when I woke up this morning.

I should start working out, again---I, too, am a mess trying not to freak out over the stress. Hahaha, yes, I have summer all year long.

And I will probably move to someplace like that. :( Hahaha. Good luck with your applications!

Usually, I go to the gym in the morning, work on my Master's thesis until dinner time and after time I take some time for my own, which includes watching TV, playing video-games and A LOT of refreshing my email and the survey page, which had 2 acceptances for my dream school on the last days and I'm starting to freak out

I'm wrapping up my BSes (it's my final semester). My class load is a bit lighter this time around, so I'm taking the opportunity to apply for lots of conferences and spend extra time on my senior project. I'm also catching up on a lot of TV shows and video games I missed over the past 2 years and trying out new hobbies like bullet journalling. I'm trying to use this semester as a sort-of crash course in healthy time management and self care so I'm not dying in a Ph.D. program.

Despite all of this, I still check my email way too much, lol.

2 hours ago, CanadianHopeful said:

Pressing shift+F5 mostly

that's life... 

I been working out a lot,, trying to read and learn new stuff but it's hard. ... slowly dying here.... 

I have realized that a gap year was so necessary as it has given me time to do some personal research and figure out what really and truly interested me. So apart from the personal research stuff, I spend my evenings with my mother listening to songs or just simply chat with her which has been helping a lot in calming my nerves. 

All the best to all my fellow applicants!!!!

35 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Reading at least two books a week and working a lot. Sleeping a lot as well, although I keep having dreams about rejections and waking up on the verge of a panic attack. Super fun.

Oh me too, those dreams are simply the worst. I'm sorry about that, hopefully you'll get an acceptance soon and the dreams will go away!

2 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Reading at least two books a week and working a lot. Sleeping a lot as well, although I keep having dreams about rejections and waking up on the verge of a panic attack. Super fun.

1 hour ago, yukichi said:

Oh me too, those dreams are simply the worst. I'm sorry about that, hopefully you'll get an acceptance soon and the dreams will go away!

I also have bad dreams - it's horrible! Although I've been accepted, I don't know anything about funding yet so it's like...wth is going to happen if I don't get awarded a fellowship? It's beyond sad this whole process.

I wish you all the best!!!

Currently taking a gap year so I can rest, relax, and enjoy life before work takes over my life. I am sleeping a ton, trying to read more since I didn’t do much in my undergrad. I am also trying to come a mentor for a student at one of the local public schools. Maybe I will volunteer at the local library and/or in a lab. We shall see. Taking a gap year has helped me clear my mind, focus on applications, and figure out my research interests. I highly suggest one to anyone who needs it! Also, I have been watching a lot of shows on Netflix! 

Working in retail hell and waiting for results, the earliest of which are still 2-3 weeks off.  I check my email religiously nonetheless even though it'd be highly unusual for any of the programs to which I applied to do interviews or anything.  On the side I play some video games, do a little hiking, and sleep.

Taking 16 credit hrs, working ~15 hrs/week as lab TA, running a hiking club, and saving nights for Netflix/books. I've done similar thing before but this semester it just feels like my brain runs slower everyday. Get used to life and I'll be fine I hope :)