stressedandconfused

American Studies Fall 2019??

19 hours ago, halcyonday said:

Same, also just checked my application portal and no change.

19 hours ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Still waiting, and didn’t hear anything. Also didn’t see any update on my application portal 

Looks like someone else got accepted to UMich American Culture, via phone call. If those two posts are indeed the only two admits so far, then there would only be about 4 or 5 spots left, based on last year's 6 total admits. So.... good luck! Keeping my phone charged up so that at the very least I will definitely not have a dead phone this weekend, which is always nice.

22 hours ago, youngblood79 said:

Congratulations! Just out of curiosity do you mean American Culture? And do you think it’s safe to assume that if you haven’t heard anything today, that reject and/or waitlist is coming? 

Yes, American Culture it is. The official letter should arrive next week, according to the DGS email I received. 

7 hours ago, sickeagle said:

Looks like someone else got accepted to UMich American Culture, via phone call. If those two posts are indeed the only two admits so far, then there would only be about 4 or 5 spots left, based on last year's 6 total admits. So.... good luck! Keeping my phone charged up so that at the very least I will definitely not have a dead phone this weekend, which is always nice.

Well, congrats to @ExileFromAFutureTime and the other mystery admit! 

I've been surprised at the teeny cohort sizes everywhere! I'm currently in a culture studies MA program, and my cohort (combined MA/PhD since we do coursework together) is 12, 9 of which are doctoral... 6 is so small, particularly considering Mich (and UT!) are much larger schools. 

23 hours ago, halcyonday said:

Well, congrats to @ExileFromAFutureTime and the other mystery admit! 

I've been surprised at the teeny cohort sizes everywhere! I'm currently in a culture studies MA program, and my cohort (combined MA/PhD since we do coursework together) is 12, 9 of which are doctoral... 6 is so small, particularly considering Mich (and UT!) are much larger schools. 

Relatedly, spoke with the director of Purdue's AMST program and he said this year's cohort is five students.

Did anyone apply to George Washington’s American Studies program? If so, have you heard anything from them? I thought they conduct interviews by this point, but no one has posted anything about it. 

I was just informed by one of my professors that I was accepted to BU's American & New England Studies program! This is my first accept and I"m so ridiculously excited!!

If you're also waiting, it sounds like they have made their decisions and hopefully they'll be notifying people soon!

59 minutes ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

I was just informed by one of my professors that I was accepted to BU's American & New England Studies program! This is my first accept and I"m so ridiculously excited!!

If you're also waiting, it sounds like they have made their decisions and hopefully they'll be notifying people soon!

Congrats! The first one is the sweetest even if you end up elsewhere. Hope the next few are good news as well!

10 hours ago, youngblood79 said:

Did anyone apply to George Washington’s American Studies program? If so, have you heard anything from them? I thought they conduct interviews by this point, but no one has posted anything about it. 

I applied to GW's American Studies program. Haven't heard anything yet, not sure what this means about my application!

59 minutes ago, princeleo said:

I applied to GW's American Studies program. Haven't heard anything yet, not sure what this means about my application!

same! i saw on the results thread that they usually request for interviews during the first week of feb but i haven't heard anything yet. nervous for what that means!

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:35 PM, swarthmawr said:

Anyone want to claim the Brown waitlist? 

That would be me! Waitlisted at Brown. I'm pleased with news, since I know its a competitive program. 

sidenote, I got the email on a Saturday. So now if you need me on the weekends, I'll be frantically refreshing my email, knowing that decisions could be sent any day of the week 😫

51 minutes ago, magnegresswrites said:

That would be me! Waitlisted at Brown. I'm pleased with news, since I know its a competitive program. 

sidenote, I got the email on a Saturday. So now if you need me on the weekends, I'll be frantically refreshing my email, knowing that decisions could be sent any day of the week 😫

Congrats! Does this mean nobody got an acceptance so far? So the remainder are rejections...

Any news from Irvine for anybody? I'm starting to get incredibly anxious!

10 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

Congrats! Does this mean nobody got an acceptance so far? So the remainder are rejections...

Thanks! and I don't think so? 

I haven't seen anyone post an acceptance or rejection from Brown. I just assumed that they JUST reached decisions regarding their list of acceptances. So I imagine everyone else will hear decisions real soon..? 

best of luck to everyone! 

4 minutes ago, magnegresswrites said:

Thanks! and I don't think so? 

I haven't seen anyone post an acceptance or rejection from Brown. I just assumed that they JUST reached decisions regarding their list of acceptances. So I imagine everyone else will hear decisions real soon..? 

best of luck to everyone! 

Sorry, just thinking out loud! I’m super happy for you and best of luck too :) 

12 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Any news from Irvine for anybody? I'm starting to get incredibly anxious!

Nope 😕 

Just now, swarthmawr said:

Sorry, just thinking out loud! I’m super happy for you and best of luck too :) 

no worries! i'm right there with you, just anxiously waiting haha

I haven't really kept up with this thread because I've mainly applied to History programs, but wanted to shoot some congratulations to those of you who have gotten admits and/or waitlists!! :)

Waiting on Yale American Studies on my end, hopefully they will start releasing decisions this week. Good luck everyone!

11 hours ago, magnegresswrites said:

Congrats! Also, I think all of my communication with Northwestern to this point has been weekends or weekdays after 8pm (7pm in their timezone, but still!). It does make you worry about the rest of them coming in at odd hours...

1 hour ago, halcyonday said:

Congrats! Also, I think all of my communication with Northwestern to this point has been weekends or weekdays after 8pm (7pm in their timezone, but still!). It does make you worry about the rest of them coming in at odd hours...

thanks! 

word. so far, I've gotten notices on Friday and Saturday. and a lot of the programs i applied to (mostly African American Studies PhD programs) have sent notices historically on Fridays. 

Just got a rejection email from Michigan. Oh well. 

Apparently they had 109 applications, 6 spots, yada yada yada. Congrats to those who got in! 

59 minutes ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Just got a rejection email from Michigan. Oh well. 

Apparently they had 109 applications, 6 spots, yada yada yada. Congrats to those who got in! 

Mine came just now too. Congrats to those who landed those spots! 
Anyone else hear from Brown? Feels like that's coming today/this week too...

34 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

Mine came just now too. Congrats to those who landed those spots! 
Anyone else hear from Brown? Feels like that's coming today/this week too...

Rejected as well! @IBrakeForVanJohnson

Echoing congrats to The Lucky Six!