American Studies Fall 2019??

7 hours ago, okcool96 said:

Rejected! I must say, I'm really disappointed in how UMN handled this. From what I gather, they have known certain rejections for weeks. I know of two people who were interviewed and then rejected not long after. I don't understand how hard it is to keep applicants in the loop - especially when we pay a fee for the luxury of applying in the first place. Don't think I'll be applying here next year - I can understand the rejection itself and, although I'm disappointed, I'm not mad at them for that. I just feel the handling of the process was disrespectful ??‍♂️

PREACH! Especially since I didn't even know to check the portal - I just did it because one of you said there was a status change! The least they could've done is shoot out a mass email when they knew they had their cohort. Definitely leaving a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. 

Edited by IBrakeForVanJohnson

2 hours ago, needdat said:

Seems like it’s been a while since they’ve done them. Maybe the competition was more intense this time around. I don’t know that they would only interview some people and not others...?

I wondered about those too— haven’t seen interviews for them in most of the recent data for the program. I averaged the dates people heard positive news from them and think it’d be an “implied rejection” only after Feb 8-11, about.  

13 hours ago, rx971 said:

Just saw two posts about interviews for NYU AMST in the results -- is that anyone here? Also, does anyone have any insight as to whether interviews are standard for their process/conducted for certain applicants last year?

Hi @rx971 I received this email about interviews. The text of the email was very vague / did not imply any sort of short list or how standard this process was. They asked me to block off an hour of time this coming Friday. 

I'll definitely keep y'all updated.

Is anyone else here waiting on UNC and UMich? 

I also have my name in at BU, but from what I've heard, we shouldn't expect anything from them until early/mid-March. 

40 minutes ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Is anyone else here waiting on UNC and UMich? 

I also have my name in at BU, but from what I've heard, we shouldn't expect anything from them until early/mid-March. 

Also waiting on UMich decisions, which historically seem to have gone out this week. Maybe the vortex set them back? Anxiety vortex is def in full spin. I've successfully (so far) sworn off checking this year's results page, and I keep telling myself to stop checking the forum...but here I am. Good luck!

Third on UMich. I live about an hour south of there, and I can tell you that every campus around here was closed for a lot of last week--I wouldn't be surprised if it threw off some meetings. I know it threw off our admissions committees... 

12 hours ago, princeleo said:

Hi @rx971 I received this email about interviews. The text of the email was very vague / did not imply any sort of short list or how standard this process was. They asked me to block off an hour of time this coming Friday. 

I'll definitely keep y'all updated.

Interesting! Do you know who you’re interviewing with (POI or other profs? grad director)? What is your “area,” if you don’t mind me asking, in terms of era/methods etc.? And are you an international student? 

Best of luck this Friday, we’re rooting for you! :D

7 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

Just got an email, wait-listed at Texas; they've shrunk their cohorts to 3-5 students, according to the email, so. Anyone have better luck?

Congrats! Just got the wait list email too! Not surprised, pretty stretch fit for me. 

1 hour ago, FriendlyNeighborhoodWolf said:

I wonder how many people are on these waitlists, and then how they choose from it if there's movement on the shortlist. Any thoughts?

Looks like at least five based on the results page (I assume those include all of us). I would imagine that it'll depend on who moves on the shortlist--I know a lot of programs try to admit certain numbers of ethnic studies/gender studies/other areas of interest to keep their cohorts balanced and spread out faculty demand, so if they drop a gender studies person probably another gender studies person will get pulled from the pool, etc. Could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the waitlist is just top-to-bottom ranked. 

Has anyone who received the invite for the Yale webinar last week received an update notification regarding their application status yet stating whether they were rejected or acceptanced at this point? I’m just curious since I see some people who didn’t mention the invite have already already posted their results.

3 hours ago, kp_87 said:

Has anyone who received the invite for the Yale webinar last week received an update notification regarding their application status yet stating whether they were rejected or acceptanced at this point? I’m just curious since I see some people who didn’t mention the invite have already already posted their results.

I’m confused...I don’t see any results posted for yale amst this year yet? 

3 hours ago, kp_87 said:

I haven’t seen any results go out yet??

2 hours ago, stressedandconfused said:

I’m confused...I don’t see any results posted for yale amst this year yet? 

I saw some posted for a bunch of masters program applicants and literature/biology  PhD applicants last week and this week ...however I’m not sure if those literature and biology PhD applicants who posted their results this week were invited to that little webinar.