American Studies Fall 2019??

On 1/26/2019 at 10:36 AM, rx971 said:

@Englishtea1 I'm freaking out about it, I have no idea what it means!!!

@Karou Of course! It's happening on Wednesday at 3 so I'll post here then.

So implied Yale rejection for those of us who didn’t get the webinar, do you think? 

4 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

So implied Yale rejection for those of us who didn’t get the webinar, do you think? 

I honestly don't think so. I got the email. I think if you got flagged by the Office of Diversity as a "diverse" or "minority" student, you got the email. I don't think it's indicative of anything more.

3 hours ago, magnegresswrites said:

I honestly don't think so. I got the email. I think if you got flagged by the Office of Diversity as a "diverse" or "minority" student, you got the email. I don't think it's indicative of anything more.

Weird since I’m a POC! But thanks, I hope so :) 

Just now, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Me!

Applied to UNC, BU, UMich, Minnesota in AmSt. Applied to a few other programs in a related field. Best of luck to all - and congratulations to those who got accepted already! 

Oh, guess I should say that last week, I interviewed (phone and Skype) with two non-AmSt programs. I asked my advisor and she was surprised about how early it was, but I guess everyone is different!

@swarthmawr i don't think it's an implied rejection if you didn't get the webinar invite. The email is from the Office of Diversity, and I can't recall if the Yale app had an optional diversity statement of sorts... but it may pertain to optional sections that were filled out/ checked off in the app.

did anyone else end up attending the yale webinar?? I was expecting a lot more people, but there was only 100 participants...which makes me wonder if maybe there were only a select few people invited...? maybe I'm just trying to get my hopes up lol

Not sure what the yale webinar is about. I have a friend in the american studies program there and he doesn't recall attending such a webinar nor is that something that he's heard they've been doing the past couple of years. What did they discuss in the webinar? 

2 minutes ago, magnegresswrites said:

did anyone else end up attending the yale webinar?? I was expecting a lot more people, but there was only 100 participants...which makes me wonder if maybe there were only a select few people invited...? maybe I'm just trying to get my hopes up lol

yeah i was in the webinar. it still has me wondering why only a particular set of people received the invite and attended. i know some of the other webinars have had close to 200 attendees or more.

Not sure what the yale webinar is about. I have a friend in the american studies program there and he doesn't recall attending such a webinar nor is that something that he's heard they've been doing the past couple of years. What did they discuss in the webinar? 

1 minute ago, youngblood79 said:

they mainly just discussed what factors to consider when accepting offers such as funding, location and poi's 

4 minutes ago, kp_87 said:

yeah i was in the webinar. it still has me wondering why only a particular set of people received the invite and attended. i know some of the other webinars have had close to 200 attendees or more.

hmm yea. he made a point of saying that attending the webinar does not influence your decision. and it seems like it would be so much work for departments to give the graduate school a short list of maybe's, just so they could invite them to a webinar.

I don't want to read too much into it and get my hopes up haha. but the low number of people did kinda throw me off. 

41 minutes ago, magnegresswrites said:

hmm yea. he made a point of saying that attending the webinar does not influence your decision. and it seems like it would be so much work for departments to give the graduate school a short list of maybe's, just so they could invite them to a webinar.

I don't want to read too much into it and get my hopes up haha. but the low number of people did kinda throw me off. 

yeah im trying so hard not to get my hopes up...i hope they sent out notification on feb 1st so we all know where we stand early...i looked back at the results page on here and see most people in previous years recieved notification between feb 1st and feb 15th in most cases.

1 hour ago, jpbends said:

Also, I don't know if this is the appropriate thread for this, but has anybody who's applied to UC Irvine Culture & Theory heard anything back yet?

I also applied (doesn’t seem to be many of us), but haven’t heard anything yet! 

Hey! Recently rejected from USC, but also applied to Yale, Harvard, UT Austin, UMich, Brown, George Washington, NYU, U of Hawaii Manoa, and UC San Diego (Ethnic Studies)! Haven't received anything back yet from anywhere else.

Hi all! I'm new here! Nice to not be alone in this waiting phase! I've applied African American and American Studies at Yale. Looking at past years I think February 15 through late March will be the time period for receiving word. Breathing.... ??‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️

@magnegresswrites I registered for the webinar but couldn't attend due to being on a flight. I think it's a recruiting tool for admitting a diverse class. Yale had a recent "image" problem that I think they are grappling with (napping while black...)

7 hours ago, Karou said:

Thank you @magnegresswrites and @kp_87 for the information on the webinar! It all sounds very confusing, and I understand that you don't know what conclusions to draw from it. 

Did they give any indication as to when they expect to notify applicants of decisions?

Sadly, no. fingers crossed we'll hear something within the next week! 

4 hours ago, magnegresswrites said:

Sadly, no. fingers crossed we'll hear something within the next week! 

Hopefully! I really just want to know, one way or another.

6 hours ago, Gatorgoddess said:

@Karou I think Yale decisions will be between 2/15 and late March, based on past year's data on this site.

Yeah, seems like it, I was just sort of hoping they may decide to release decisions earlier this year!