2019 MDiv MTS MA Applications

LSiefferman

Just now, PBenjy said:

Oh man, rejected from Yale! I'll have to wait till next week to see what Oxford says. If I'm rejected there, then I might be moving to North Carolina for the Duke MTS!

Sorry about Yale, but best of luck with Oxford! And Duke MTS sounds like one amazing option to have! 

13 hours ago, xypathos said:

You can try reaching out to Jenni Via and see if they're willing to swap out the sample. They may refer you to someone else or dismiss you and say not to worry about it ?‍♂️

Looks like its Spring Break over there. Hopefully I may contact her Monday and see if it works out. I sent her email, but because it is something urgent(at least in my perspective), I may just call her to discuss the matter. Thanks for the help!

I wish they'd send out financial aid/scholarship information at the same time as the admission letter. I don't know whether I can let myself celebrate yet! Has anyone already heard from the YDS financial aid office?

The letter says, "Shortly following this letter, you will receive an email with the financial scholarship you have been awarded," which seems to imply I got at least a little money, but that could also be a generic line that's just worded weirdly? Guess I'll have to just be patient :) 

Edited by muse2019

What the &@$!. I received an answer by someone from UVA requesting my correct version of the writing sample, so I sent it to the person and called him by his first name. It turned out that he is a professor at the University. Because I sent it to the alleged email address for Jennifer, I did not obviously read his signature at the end of email cuz I was too desperate on this matter, but now I see it, and I feel &*&#ed. Should I laugh at myself for doing that, or curse myself for possibly ruining my chance, or just brush it off because he ain't my prof yet? Anyway, it was a hilarious and frightening moment at the same time.

Edited by FrigidSky701

8 minutes ago, FrigidSky701 said:

What the &@$!. I received an answer someone from UVA requesting my correct version of the writing sample, so I sent it to the person and called him by his first name. It turned out that he is a professor at the University. Because I sent it to the alleged email address for Jennifer, I did not obviously read his signature at the end of email cuz I was too desperate on this matter, but now I see it, and I feel &*&#ed. Should I laugh at myself for doing that, or curse myself for possibly ruining my chance, or just brush it off because he ain't my prof yet? Anyway, it was a hilarious and frightening moment at the same time.

Oh, NO. I have to admit that I laughed because that's so relatable. I don't think it'll ruin your chance at all--most likely, the professor will assume you just didn't know and/or forget about it. In any case, I don't think it'd be a dealbreaker :) Especially if your recommendations portray you in a favorable light!! When judging your character, they definitely won't weight one brief e-mail over three detailed letters and an essay.

Edited by muse2019

99% of the time you'll be fine.

Most profs are super chill and generally ask students to use their first name anyway. I ran into a VDS prof once at a gas station outside of Nashville and while we knew each other, I referred to them by their first name since 1) We aren't on campus and 2) Not my professor. They scolded me and said "You will begin my name with Dr. at all times." So, mileage will vary but these kind of power grabs are extremely rare.

2 hours ago, PBenjy said:

Oh man, rejected from Yale! I'll have to wait till next week to see what Oxford says. If I'm rejected there, then I might be moving to North Carolina for the Duke MTS!

I don't want to jinx you but Oxford accepts a lot of Americans and I mean probably most of them that apply. Funding on the other hand is next to impossible for US citizens. That said, if you're going to take out loans for the M*, I'd rather be at Oxford than Duke.

45 minutes ago, xypathos said:

99% of the time you'll be fine.

Most profs are super chill and generally ask students to use their first name anyway. I ran into a VDS prof once at a gas station outside of Nashville and while we knew each other, I referred to them by their first name since 1) We aren't on campus and 2) Not my professor. They scolded me and said "You will begin my name with Dr. at all times." So, mileage will vary but these kind of power grabs are extremely rare.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the professor in question was female?

1 minute ago, KingsGambit said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the professor in question was female?

Yes. I suspect as a woman of color they're use to having certain things assumed of them, and their capabilities. So they just make sure everyone uses their title, I don't know. I tried to talk to them about the encounter several days later while on campus but they weren't having it. We haven't spoken since and when we run into each other at conferences she intentionally goes the other way.

3 minutes ago, barker said:

I received $20k/year and I am definitely super grateful, but also daunted by how expensive it still is ?

That's exactly what I was thinking - I received a good amount as well, but the 48k/year total estimate is a bit daunting. 

9 minutes ago, fordlandia said:

That's exactly what I was thinking - I received a good amount as well, but the 48k/year total estimate is a bit daunting. 

Same boat; I received full tuition, but the breakdown of all the other expenses has me like ?

I got accepted to YDS but still haven't gotten the financial aid email yet. Does that mean I didn't get funding? (since others have already gotten the email)

Edited by fualmu

12 minutes ago, fualmu said:

I got accepted to YDS but still haven't gotten the financial aid email yet. Does that mean I didn't get funding? (since others have already gotten the email)

Did you submit the form for financial aid before March 1st? If not, I'd get it in ASAP. If you mailed it in after March 1st, your offer will come later, once they have an idea of what's left over.

It's certainly possible it hasn't posted yet. It's also possible that they aren't awarding you any aid but they tend to give a little something to everyone. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of them not giving aid to someone.

I'd pick the one that you want to really be at and ask. YDS and HDS adcoms have been known to compare notes ;) You can ask both but if they were to learn that you asked two schools, I can imagine some on staff feeling rubbed the wrong way.

In asking, just be honest and to the point. You really want to be at X-School for these three reasons (justify the school - what they offer, what you offer them). Tell them that VDS is offering more money and you want to be a responsible applicant when it comes to pursuing theological education in relation to costs, but you'd rather be at their school. Like anything, flatter them a little but not too much, express some humbleness and gratitude for the initial offer, etc., but that you'd like to be reconsidered for any additional aid or funding avenues.

If you're wanting to use the MTS as a stepping stone to PhD, personally, I'd choose HDS, esp. when you throw BTI into the mix. Also, Boston/Cambridge is just a really cool area to spend a couple years in.

Also, Nashville is ridiculously expensive, esp. for anything even remotely close to the school. The students there at VDS while I was there that wanted to live in the heart of VU and downtown Nashville's scene were piling in 1-2 per bedroom and/or taking out loans and paying $2k/month in rent for studio apartments.

Edited by xypathos

10 hours ago, xypathos said:

I don't want to jinx you but Oxford accepts a lot of Americans and I mean probably most of them that apply. Funding on the other hand is next to impossible for US citizens. That said, if you're going to take out loans for the M*, I'd rather be at Oxford than Duke.

Thank you for the encouragement! I agree with you that taking out loans for Oxford seems more worth it. I am also a fan of the British system. I do hope they accept me! But, alas, Duke is also a great option to fall back on.

5 hours ago, xypathos said:

I'd pick the one that you want to really be at and ask. YDS and HDS adcoms have been known to compare notes ;) You can ask both but if they were to learn that you asked two schools, I can imagine some on staff feeling rubbed the wrong way.

In asking, just be honest and to the point. You really want to be at X-School for these three reasons (justify the school - what they offer, what you offer them). Tell them that VDS is offering more money and you want to be a responsible applicant when it comes to pursuing theological education in relation to costs, but you'd rather be at their school. Like anything, flatter them a little but not too much, express some humbleness and gratitude for the initial offer, etc., but that you'd like to be reconsidered for any additional aid or funding avenues.

This seemed like the way to do it. You think it's worth asking for stipend/housing help at VDS on the flipside?

5 hours ago, xypathos said:

If you're wanting to use the MTS as a stepping stone to PhD, personally, I'd choose HDS, esp. when you throw BTI into the mix. Also, Boston/Cambridge is just a really cool area to spend a couple years in.

Also, Nashville is ridiculously expensive, esp. for anything even remotely close to the school. The students there at VDS while I was there that wanted to live in the heart of VU and downtown Nashville's scene were piling in 1-2 per bedroom and/or taking out loans and paying $2k/month in rent for studio apartments.

Really? I've always thought that YDS is much better for academics (though I understand how small that gulf is in the grand scheme of education in America). I'm considering JD afterwards, if that makes a difference. And even if it's less expensive to go to Yale or Harvard, I'll have to make up at least 10k in tuition per year.

@plump_helmetIf your aspiration is to later attend YLS, or the highest of aspirations (wink), then know this, undergrad and graduate degrees from Yale are the most highly represented in the admitted class—so it can help being a YDS graduate. Also it’s the smallest law school class among the tippy top school but also has the largest endowment (endowment is over a billion just for the law school) and has the expansive and generous loan repayment program in the nation. The major obstacle —getting admitted—when I was doing work there, there was a former general, a Pulitzer winner, and a former head of a hedge fund, among many many uber qualified folks......best of luck.

11 hours ago, plump_helmet said:

This seemed like the way to do it. You think it's worth asking for stipend/housing help at VDS on the flipside?

Really? I've always thought that YDS is much better for academics (though I understand how small that gulf is in the grand scheme of education in America). I'm considering JD afterwards, if that makes a difference. And even if it's less expensive to go to Yale or Harvard, I'll have to make up at least 10k in tuition per year.

VDS offers stipends to maybe 4-6 students. While I was there they were only offered to URMs (Underrepresented Minorities), and they all had multiple URM identities.

There's no official housing support from VDS, at all. This may have changed since I left but I'm pretty active with VDS communities and haven't heard of this. Now, there is a Disciples House by campus that VDS students live in as part of an intentional community but you likely need to apply now for it. Rent is super cheap in comparison to other nearby options. I had some VDS friends that landed jobs in Residence Life as RAs since that position is open for VDS students - free single room, $200/month or so stipend.

We debate here all the time if HDS or YDS is more academic than the other and which is less-seminary. I come down on HDS being less seminary and fostering academic achievement but I have best friends who would fight me over this.

I had a classmate that graduated from VDS and applied to law schools afterwards. He ended up at Columbia but said the people at Harvard and Yale were really turned off by his detour to divinity school.

Maybe this question warrants a separate thread, but is YDS a decent environment for someone who doesn't (yet) follow any faith traditions? The impression I get is that between HDS and YDS, HDS holds more space for "nones" and YDS is more heavily ecumenical, but I could be off. 

I got 100% tuition at Yale, Union, and UChicago, and 0 at Harvard. Because of this, I'm pretty close to crossing Harvard off the list entirely, but I'm still thinking over whether it might be worth asking for more money. Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards Union for its location and religious diversity, but also strongly considering YDS.

I'm MDiv, by the way.

Edited by muse2019