2019 MDiv MTS MA Applications

LSiefferman

4 minutes ago, lroberts5 said:

When do we expect Yale decisions?

Last year it looks like the decisions were posted online in the afternoon. I wish they automatically released at midnight tonight though!!

Edited by PBenjy

4 hours ago, FrigidSky701 said:

I just finished applying to MA program for University of Virginia. Am I too late for the train?

Nope. In fact UVA's MA program is a common "last minute" app for students who washed out at schools whose deadline was earlier. In some cases, depending on focus, it's actually their top choice so their May 1st deadline is nice.

5 hours ago, PBenjy said:

Last year it looks like the decisions were posted online in the afternoon. I wish they automatically released at midnight tonight though!!

In the afternoon today, or in the afternoon tomorrow?

From UVA's website FAQ: 

2. How difficult is it to get accepted to your program?

We accept about eleven doctoral students a year out of an applicant pool of over 170. The typical admitted student has a GRE Verbal score of around 150 and higher, a GPA over 3.8 from a competitive university or college, and very strong letters of recommendation.  Applicants admitted into the MA program are occasionally a bit weaker but often have scores comparable to those of the PhD applicants, though they may be slightly lower.

Is this (1) a typo; or (2) a joke?

19 minutes ago, rejectedndejected said:

Does anyone know if any other top tier schools are still accepting applications/have late app deadlines?

Several ThM programs (e.g. Duke, Candler, PTS) have later deadlines. Probably little to no funding, though. And you have to already have an MDiv or similar for such programs.

4 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

From UVA's website FAQ: 

2. How difficult is it to get accepted to your program?

We accept about eleven doctoral students a year out of an applicant pool of over 170. The typical admitted student has a GRE Verbal score of around 150 and higher, a GPA over 3.8 from a competitive university or college, and very strong letters of recommendation.  Applicants admitted into the MA program are occasionally a bit weaker but often have scores comparable to those of the PhD applicants, though they may be slightly lower.

Is this (1) a typo; or (2) a joke?

My guess is that it's a typo for 160; 150 is a very low standard for a verbal score in the humanities.

3 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

Does anyone know if any other top tier schools are still accepting applications/have late app deadlines?

This probably doesn't fulfill your criterion for "top tier," but Rutgers' M.A. program accepts new applicants until June 1 without any loss of funding eligibility. My original plan was to apply to their program if I didn't get in anywhere else, but it seems that will be unnecessary.

9 minutes ago, FrigidSky701 said:

Damn. It seems that my writing sample's footnote got all messed up when I uploaded it. What should I do...

You can try reaching out to Jenni Via and see if they're willing to swap out the sample. They may refer you to someone else or dismiss you and say not to worry about it ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

You can apply to Hartford Seminary for the M.A., their deadline is July 15th. If you do well you can then transfer to Yale, Boston Univ., Chicago Theological, or Drew for the M.Div.

There's also Rutgers as noted above.

I'd check with UGA's Religion Department too, officially the deadline is July 1 for the university but the department's deadline could be sooner. UGA also added a PhD in 2017 so there's little to no information on it but an avenue still.

Missouri State is an option too. They have a limited number of slots for funded MAs and since they don't require letters of recommendation, it's an application you can get submitted quickly. Be aware though that your application materials must therefore be capable of carrying their own weight. They also provide funding for conference travel, etc.

UNC Charlotte's deadline is May 1. I lived in Charlotte for a year and took graduate courses in their Religious Studies and Philosophy Departments to pass the time. Solid department and MA students went onto PhD studies at largely southern schools: Duke, UNC, Vanderbilt, Emory, UT Knoxville (History), etc.

Claremont Graduate's deadline is July or August for domestic applicants for their M* programs. Funding is *&%$ing terrible though, even for PhD students and much worse for M* students.

8 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

Deadline for merit scholarships has passed, but Duke’s MTS is definitely accepting applications until April 15th. 

3 minutes ago, SemperDiscentes said:

@xypathos - Do you know where YDS will be posting this information?

They say to check the application portal (https://apply.divinity.yale.edu/account/login?)

I think they're also supposed to send out an email, but last year they posted the decisions online before they sent any emails.

Edited by PBenjy

Oh man, rejected from Yale! I'll have to wait till next week to see what Oxford says. If I'm rejected there, then I might be moving to North Carolina for the Duke MTS!