2019 MDiv MTS MA Applications

LSiefferman

14 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

Thanks. This is gold.  If only someone had posted this last year before I got rejected by YDS...  You know anything about time travel?  Back in '82, I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile.  I'd also go back in time and contact Yale faculty.  

Also, XYpathos, do you know if Harvard is of this same mindset?  

If I could speak to this @rejectedndejected , I know a couple of people attending HDS and the admissions committee often admits people without any contact with prospective advisors or campus visits. No interviews are given either, so it really seems that it is solely about the strength of the application.

By the way, in case anyone's in the same boat: since I'm still waiting to hear from other schools and also want to have time to visit, I asked Union for an extension on making my decision (their deadline for priority applicants is March 15), and they gave me a full extra month to decide! They can and will grant you an extension if you ask! 

21 hours ago, xypathos said:

I almost always agree to this but as someone formerly well acquainted with YDS - they strongly encourage prospective M* students to visit campus and/or interview with Admissions or a faculty member. By strongly, I know for a fact that good, strong applicants were only denied because they did not have an Adcom/faculty interview on file come review time and didn't feel that the applicant wanted YDS hard enough.

YDS is probably the outlier on this but since they stress the importance of campus visits and an Adcom interview several times on their site, I always encourage applicants to tread lightly in opting not to make themselves known to Admissions folk. To be fair, I've seen a handful of students admitted without visiting but they had strong applications that there was no real use debating.

Ooooh, yikes!! Good to know! 

12 hours ago, muse2019 said:

By the way, in case anyone's in the same boat: since I'm still waiting to hear from other schools and also want to have time to visit, I asked Union for an extension on making my decision (their deadline for priority applicants is March 15), and they gave me a full extra month to decide! They can and will grant you an extension if you ask! 

Re. Union extension, I did the same thing. What’s your focus area?

On 2/28/2019 at 2:04 PM, rejectedndejected said:

Congrats.  Are you leaning toward any program in particular, as yet?

Thanks! I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, but I'm also considering Candler and Duke. I think I'll likely visit what campuses I can before I make my decision.

Do you have an idea of where you're going yet?

2 hours ago, ParagonAlex said:

Thanks! I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, but I'm also considering Candler and Duke. I think I'll likely visit what campuses I can before I make my decision.

If I don't get in to Harvard, most likely either DeVry or the University of Phoenix (Online).  Will keep you brehs posted for sheezy though. 

2 hours ago, ParagonAlex said:

Hey what were your stats that you got in to Notre Dame with?  I'm trying to figure out what went wrong where I only got waitlisted...

Hi all!!

I'm a prospective MDiv candidate and applied for a couple of schools. But, I was wondering... anyone heard back from Vandy? I applied (after the priority deadline, unfortunately) on February 2 and was wondering if y'all had any idea on how soon they might reach out to me.... 

12 hours ago, LSiefferman said:

Re. Union extension, I did the same thing. What’s your focus area?

Congrats on your acceptance!! MDiv, not 100% sure what exactly that's going to entail for me yet, but I definitely want to continue my work with arts education and justice reform. What about you? 

2 hours ago, Plotinus said:

Greetings and good luck to everybody here! Also, could people who have applied to HDS MTS post their stats? E.g. GRE; undergrad school, major, and GPA; any special achievements; languages spoken, etc. Many thanks in advance! 

GRE: 164V/155Q/4.5 AW; Language: 1 year Latin in grad school; 3.92 gGPA (abysmal undergrad GPA--mid 2's.); Undergrad: Uni ranked just outside top 100 USNews (So, middling); Special achievments: None.  Just a regular breh.

You?

Edited by rejectedndejected

21 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

Hey what were your stats that you got in to Notre Dame with?  I'm trying to figure out what went wrong where I only got waitlisted...

It's simply the most competitive MTS program there is, and they also give a certain preference to Catholics. Back in the day I was accepted to the MTS at Harvard, Yale, Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, etc... and was rejected by ND.

8 minutes ago, 11Q13 said:

It's simply the most competitive MTS program there is, and they also give a certain preference to Catholics. Back in the day I was accepted to the MTS at Harvard, Yale, Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, etc... and was rejected by ND.

Lol.  Crushingly for my ego, I am Catholic. 

19 hours ago, muse2019 said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! MDiv, not 100% sure what exactly that's going to entail for me yet, but I definitely want to continue my work with arts education and justice reform. What about you? 

Same to you. I am an artist, and I’m hoping to work in the realm of religion, the arts and social justice. In particular, I am excited to expand my understanding on how the arts can facilitate religious and cultural literacy as a tool for transforming conflict. I currently make pottery to prompt conversation on social issues. I am hoping to further my arts practice with an academic understanding of contemporary relationships between religion, race and neoliberal values, creating artwork to name and challenge narratives of competition, fear and isolation. I’m hoping to become a conflict mediator, but also I hope to continue research on the combined role of the arts and religious literacy in conflict transformation. I’m pursuing my MDiv as I see my vocation as a “secular ministry,” if you will...

I’ve been out of school for a while, working the daily grind life for many years. Fingers crossed. HDS is my first choice. Good luck to you. Would like to hear more about your work as it sounds interesting. 

17 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

GRE: 164V/155Q/4.5 AW; Language: 1 year Latin in grad school; 3.92 gGPA (abysmal undergrad GPA--mid 2's.); Undergrad: Uni ranked just outside top 100 USNews (So, middling); Special achievments: None.  Just a regular breh.

You?

I think you might have a decent shot, depending on your statement of purpose! Good luck and let us know how it turns out! As for myself, I am going to apply in one year, though I can say already that by that time I should have 2 years of Latin as well as decent German. Also, I attend a UK undergrad which is ranked within top 50 in the world. 

Edited by Plotinus

On 3/7/2019 at 9:49 AM, rejectedndejected said:

I applied to Notre Dame's MTS and was waitlisted, although I found out this morning they aren't going to their waitlist because all of their first round offers accepted in my subfield

Yo! I'm waitlisted at Notre Dame's MTS in Biblical Studies. How were you notified that their waitlist in your subfield was closed? 

I'm also waitlisted for Notre Dame's MTS (Moral) and have not heard any updates. I know concentration matters for getting off the waitlist, so I suspect only the concentrations where all spots have been filled have been notified. 

2 hours ago, JHubbs said:

Yo! I'm waitlisted at Notre Dame's MTS in Biblical Studies. How were you notified that their waitlist in your subfield was closed? 

They emailed me and told me that *every single one* of their first round offers accepted (in only my subfield (liturgy)).  I can't catch a break.  Can't wait for the Harvard rejection to come out.

What time have the HDS decisions come out in the past? If they don’t release decisions past a certain time, maybe I can be productive afterwards...

also anyone here got into UChicago MDiv’s program? Looking for potential cohort members and input on the dif between UChic/HDS, esp for my concentration (Islamic Studies) and academia potential for each

Last year, HDS came out March 12th. 

This year, I think its going to be tomorrow March 12th too around mid-day. 

I think HDS is realizing they are releasing decision wayy too late in the game (usually march 15th) and it impacts student's decisions 

Edited by sambam

23 minutes ago, rejectedndejected said:

They emailed me and told me that *every single one* of their first round offers accepted (in only my subfield (liturgy)).  I can't catch a break.  Can't wait for the Harvard rejection to come out.

Interesting! I guess I’ll take it as good news that I haven’t received any such email for the biblical studies subfield. 

No need to assume an HDS rejection if you were waitlisted at ND—a funded MTS with a stipend is (as you know) almost unheard of, and ND needs to be more selective in their admission because of that guaranteed funding.