1 hour ago, imonfire98 said:

lolol, you have 3 offers atm, does that help with the anxiety? or are you still waiting to hear from your top choice?

My three offers are all unfunded, so I'm still waiting for money :(( my top choice(s) haven't gotten back to me. 

PI is calling me tomorrow after I sent her another follow up email a couple of weeks after interviews (had emailed her a thank you and got a very positive sounding response). Assuming I’m on the waitlist or rejected at this point but can’t help but hope for the best! This is going to be the longest 24 hours of my life...AHHHHHHH! No acceptances so far after feeling really good coming out of interviews and I’m starting to lose hope grad school isn’t happening for me 

29 minutes ago, ClinPsych2019 said:

PI is calling me tomorrow after I sent her another follow up email a couple of weeks after interviews (had emailed her a thank you and got a very positive sounding response). Assuming I’m on the waitlist or rejected at this point but can’t help but hope for the best! This is going to be the longest 24 hours of my life...AHHHHHHH! No acceptances so far after feeling really good coming out of interviews and I’m starting to lose hope grad school isn’t happening for me 

im planning on sending my first follow up this monday. how did you frame it?

30 minutes ago, ClinPsych2019 said:

what program if you don't mind me asking. i think calling is a good siign

2 hours ago, psychhealth101 said:

Is anyone else getting really impatient waiting to hear back from schools?? It's all I can think I about and I keep checking my email every 3 seconds hoping that I'll receive any news, especially since I expected to hear back this week. It feels like schools are taking extra long to send anything out post-interviews!

I'm waiting on two schools. One of them traditionally made offers last week and the other one traditionally made offers next week. So basically I can't stop checking here and my email (...not that that's much different than I've been since about December).

1 minute ago, imonfire98 said:

im planning on sending my first follow up this monday. how did you frame it?

I would accept the offer if they gave it to me, so I framed it as after having more time to think about what I’m looking for I became further excited about the opportunities available at their program and her mentorship etc etc. I don’t feel comfortable sharing the school at this juncture, but I hope you’re right in that it’s good news!!

2 minutes ago, ClinPsych2019 said:

I would accept the offer if they gave it to me, so I framed it as after having more time to think about what I’m looking for I became further excited about the opportunities available at their program and her mentorship etc etc. I don’t feel comfortable sharing the school at this juncture, but I hope you’re right in that it’s good news!!

thanks! i hope things work out for you

57 minutes ago, psyche132 said:

I emailed my poi after not hearing for 2.5 weeks. She called me immediately and told me that I was #1 on her waitlist! 

wow congrats. i hope things work out in your favor.. i will be sending an email out to my poi tomorrow or early on monday to ask for updates. 

I haven't liked anywhere I interviewed much except the very last place.... which is the only one I haven't heard back from yet. I'm so stressed it's going to be the only one I don't get an offer at!!! :( It's a super small program and they can only take half of us. 

Need some advice...I’m waiting to hear back from my top choice & I noticed some acceptances & waitlists went out over the weekend. However, I still haven’t heard back yet. I’m not sure how to email my POI to ask for an update, any suggestions?

I fell in love with a program, was told I’ll be getting a fellowship, and I just don’t see how I can make it work. The location is insanely expensive. But I love it and they really want me and I’m afraid my next visit to a great school that’s in an affordable location won’t measure up and I’ll just be unhappy the whole time I’m there.

47 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

I fell in love with a program, was told I’ll be getting a fellowship, and I just don’t see how I can make it work. The location is insanely expensive. But I love it and they really want me and I’m afraid my next visit to a great school that’s in an affordable location won’t measure up and I’ll just be unhappy the whole time I’m there.

sounds like you know what you want and should roll with the fellowship? Room up with graduate students (don't have to be psych students necessarily), split the cost, make it work. Sounds like the program you're in "love" with is the program you should pursue! My partner similarly spent a year with some graduate students to abate the high SF bay area housing prices and totally made it work. I think she found her roommates through a graduate school facebook group of some kind; it can absolutely work!

9 hours ago, personallycentered said:

sounds like you know what you want and should roll with the fellowship? Room up with graduate students (don't have to be psych students necessarily), split the cost, make it work. Sounds like the program you're in "love" with is the program you should pursue! My partner similarly spent a year with some graduate students to abate the high SF bay area housing prices and totally made it work. I think she found her roommates through a graduate school facebook group of some kind; it can absolutely work!

I wish it was that simple, but I’m a single mom of a 3 year old. Roommates aren’t an option for us at this point. They have family housing but it’s not great and everything there is expensive. 

10 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

Keep the fellowship in mind, but also try to keep an open mind about the next interview! I was not excited about the location of one program which had a crazy low cost of living, and when I went I was absolutely and completely in love with the program and suddenly the location wasn't so bad. I don't have children but money is a huge factor for me as well, and being able to rent a full house for the price of a crappy apartment in my hometown (or a box in one of the big cities) is just something that I couldn't pass up.

Not saying that you should choose a program you don't love, but try to really explore the positives about the cheaper city - there are some major perks to living in smaller cities beyond just cost of living. 

11 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

The program I fell in love with was the second of 5 programs I interviewed with. I loved it so much I kept comparing all of the other programs to it subconsciously. This is how I know which one I will ultimately end with. However, it is also a program that offers a less enticing funding packet. It's not bad but some of the other programs I was accepted to are better with funding. I think ultimately my husband and I will choose to sacrifice some things in an effort to go where I feel I would get the best professional development. We are thinking of looking at housing in the university as well as other cheaper options at least for the first year until thing settle down and we get the hang of the new city.