1 minute ago, Waiting272 said:

When reaching out to schools 3 weeks post-interview to inquire about status, is it better to email the POI or call the program admin? 

NEVER contact the POI--it might jeopardize your chances/it might be uncomfortable for the POI. Always contact the program admin/coordinator.

1 hour ago, spookycat said:

Keep the fellowship in mind, but also try to keep an open mind about the next interview! I was not excited about the location of one program which had a crazy low cost of living, and when I went I was absolutely and completely in love with the program and suddenly the location wasn't so bad. I don't have children but money is a huge factor for me as well, and being able to rent a full house for the price of a crappy apartment in my hometown (or a box in one of the big cities) is just something that I couldn't pass up.

Not saying that you should choose a program you don't love, but try to really explore the positives about the cheaper city - there are some major perks to living in smaller cities beyond just cost of living. 

1 hour ago, ASDadvocate said:

The program I fell in love with was the second of 5 programs I interviewed with. I loved it so much I kept comparing all of the other programs to it subconsciously. This is how I know which one I will ultimately end with. However, it is also a program that offers a less enticing funding packet. It's not bad but some of the other programs I was accepted to are better with funding. I think ultimately my husband and I will choose to sacrifice some things in an effort to go where I feel I would get the best professional development. We are thinking of looking at housing in the university as well as other cheaper options at least for the first year until thing settle down and we get the hang of the new city.

I actually have a fellowship at the other school I’m visiting too. It’s in a great location, and much less expensive. Comparatively the fellowship is better because of the cost of living there. I would be able to buy a house there. It was my top choice prior to visiting the expensive school. I still have to meet everyone, I might love it too, I know, but... My POI at the expensive school is very interested in working with me, so much so that they asked me to give them a chance to compete if the fellowship they offer (still waiting on the details) doesn’t measure up. It feels really good to be so wanted, and I think I could do great there, I just don’t know if it’s possible for them to do enough to help me have a good quality of life there. I have to think about my child’s needs and quality of life too. 

3 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I wish it was that simple, but I’m a single mom of a 3 year old. Roommates aren’t an option for us at this point. They have family housing but it’s not great and everything there is expensive. 

then sounds like you obviously need to go with the cheaper option!

3 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I wish it was that simple, but I’m a single mom of a 3 year old. Roommates aren’t an option for us at this point. They have family housing but it’s not great and everything there is expensive. 

I have no helpful advice, but YOU ARE SUCH A ROCKSTAR ❤️❤️ Doing the work to get into grad school is hard. Doing the work with kids is v hard. Doing the work as a single parent is beyond impressive. Congrats x a million. 

2 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

NEVER contact the POI--it might jeopardize your chances/it might be uncomfortable for the POI. Always contact the program admin/coordinator.

Thanks for the advice! I was on the fence because it seems like a lot of people reached out to their POIs. I'll just wait a little longer before contacting the admin. 

1 hour ago, FreudEgg said:

I have no helpful advice, but YOU ARE SUCH A ROCKSTAR ❤️❤️ Doing the work to get into grad school is hard. Doing the work with kids is v hard. Doing the work as a single parent is beyond impressive. Congrats x a million. 

Thank you! I’ve had my mom to help, so it hasn’t been that hard. If I go to the expensive school though she probably wouldn’t be able to afford to come. Not sure. 

To make matters worse, my POI at the expensive school just emailed to say how much they would love for me to come there. I really hope I can figure out a way to make it all work for the best, whatever the best is!

Hi everyone, I recently reached out to a POI for my top choice post-interview, and his email was a little cryptic? He basically said funding for spots in my concentration is "in flux" and he would like to extend an offer to me should he get approval...but he also said he wouldn't want me to forego a promising opportunity elsewhere while we wait to find out. Not really sure how to read this...any insight? ALSO, I was unpleasantly shocked at the funding offered by my second choice (only acceptance), and don't think I'd be able to make that work. I know it's possible to apply for outside funding, but does anyone have any concrete information on this (what kind of sources, who is eligible, competitiveness?) Stressed!

2 minutes ago, Dreamerrrrr said:

DEAR LORD! I’m going crazy. The wait is killing me :( 

I’m waitlisted for both of my top two clinical psych programs (UNL and UNLV) and I’m so sad. 

That is all... just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks. 

Feel you so hard. I'm waitlisted and my top two counseling psych programs (and wish I would have applied to UNL's clinical program now that I know what one of the faculty's research interests are). 

24 minutes ago, Dreamerrrrr said:

DEAR LORD! I’m going crazy. The wait is killing me :( 

I’m waitlisted for both of my top two clinical psych programs (UNL and UNLV) and I’m so sad. 

That is all... just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks. 

SO feel you. Waitlisted at three schools (two being my top choices, one being UNL - we may have seen each other on interview day!), accepted at one that I can’t afford tuition at. Basically given up on the grad school dream this year, but would still love to get some good news. I’ll hope for both of us! :) 

Also, do you know much about UNLV’s program? I didn’t apply this year, but recently found a faculty member with close interests to mine and am seriously considering applying next year. 

6 hours ago, Keyz said:

Feel you so hard. I'm waitlisted and my top two counseling psych programs (and wish I would have applied to UNL's clinical program now that I know what one of the faculty's research interests are). 

I definitely recommend the program if clinical psych and research are interests of you! It’s a great program. But I hope that you get into your too counseling programs! Fingers crossed for you!

6 hours ago, rainydaychai said:

SO feel you. Waitlisted at three schools (two being my top choices, one being UNL - we may have seen each other on interview day!), accepted at one that I can’t afford tuition at. Basically given up on the grad school dream this year, but would still love to get some good news. I’ll hope for both of us! :) 

Also, do you know much about UNLV’s program? I didn’t apply this year, but recently found a faculty member with close interests to mine and am seriously considering applying next year. 

Oh nice! Fingers crossed for us both! Who were you interviewing for at UNL? But yeah, I'm pretty devastated. I feel like grad school is a far off dream and I'm so sad.

DM me your questions about UNLV and I'll send you all the info I have (including the stuff they gave me at the interview)!

17 hours ago, nimsaj95 said:

Hi everyone, I recently reached out to a POI for my top choice post-interview, and his email was a little cryptic? He basically said funding for spots in my concentration is "in flux" and he would like to extend an offer to me should he get approval...but he also said he wouldn't want me to forego a promising opportunity elsewhere while we wait to find out. Not really sure how to read this...any insight? ALSO, I was unpleasantly shocked at the funding offered by my second choice (only acceptance), and don't think I'd be able to make that work. I know it's possible to apply for outside funding, but does anyone have any concrete information on this (what kind of sources, who is eligible, competitiveness?) Stressed!

I wouldn't panic about the foregoing a promising opportunity part. I did the same thing when I emailed my POI after an interview to thank him for his time. He added something about how he'd hope to see me in the fall but to also pick the program that best works for me. I ended up getting accepted! I think your POI is just trying to be considerate in case you get a better offer elsewhere. ? I wish I could offer advice about the outside funding (sort of in the same boat at the moment, so I'd love to hear some insight too). I hope the funding works out so you can get your acceptance!!!

18 hours ago, nimsaj95 said:

I'm in a very similar situation as you - my only acceptance doesn't have great funding & I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice but I know they sent out some notifications already. However its dead silence for me. I wasn't sure how to contact my POI about my status - any advice?

So I interviewed at a school and sent thank you emails to the grad students and professors I talked to. However I received a response from one of them saying it was nice meeting me and good luck to my future endeavors. Should I be panic? It just seems wishing people luck on their future endeavors is usually implied in rejection... 

41 minutes ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

So I interviewed at a school and sent thank you emails to the grad students and professors I talked to. However I received a response from one of them saying it was nice meeting me and good luck to my future endeavors. Should I be panic? It just seems wishing people luck on their future endeavors is usually implied in rejection... 

I wouldn't worry yet! Most of the responses I got from my post-interview emails were also very cordial and vague (if I got a response at all). Try not to read into their wording too much, I'm sure they all got many thank you emails and are just responding en-mass!

I apologize if someone has already asked this but my anxiety is going crazy. How long after an interview are offers typically sent out? ?

Just now, vallaboop said:

I apologize if someone has already asked this but my anxiety is going crazy. How long after an interview are offers typically sent out? ?

It really depends on the program. I heard exactly a week after my interview for one program regarding my acceptance. For my other interview, I still haven't heard back and its been almost a month (and looks like no offers have been extended yet). I'd say on average 2-4 weeks after an interview, but it really just varies. I know the wait really stinks. ☹️

2 minutes ago, TheEternalGrad said:

It really depends on the program. I heard exactly a week after my interview for one program regarding my acceptance. For my other interview, I still haven't heard back and its been almost a month (and looks like no offers have been extended yet). I'd say on average 2-4 weeks after an interview, but it really just varies. I know the wait really stinks. ☹️

Argh! I wish there was a tracker like for domino's pizza ? Thanks for your response! I'll try to keep my anxiety at bay

2 hours ago, psych2315 said:

I'm in a very similar situation as you - my only acceptance doesn't have great funding & I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice but I know they sent out some notifications already. However its dead silence for me. I wasn't sure how to contact my POI about my status - any advice?

I emailed them with something along the lines of "I was hoping get some information regarding the status of my application. Any insight would be much appreciated as I begin to consider my options"

I've seen a lot of mixed feelings about contacting a POI post-interview, but in my opinion I don't think it's inappropriate as long as you are polite and not pushy! Good luck!!

I had an interview about 4 weeks ago. I haven't seen any acceptances/rejections/waitlists from this school. On Monday, I emailed the professor in charge of the grad program (that's who I was told to email with questions) to politely ask for an update...still haven't heard anything! I can't deal anymore! Of course, now it's worse because the lack of response to my email makes me feel like I'm definitely rejected. This school is my dream! Oh well...