40 minutes ago, yikespsych said:

Posted this in another thread but might have more luck here.... So I got a call today for my POI at my top choice school saying that she is planning on extending an offer to me but has to wait to hear back about a grant that was reviewed today - she said we’d probably know next week whether she has the funding to take me on. I’m over the moon excited that I am her top choice but terrified that the funding will fall through and I won’t end up getting in... has this happened with anyone else? Should I be worried??

It hasn't happened to me personally but I have read accounts of where people were supposed to get in, but without funding an offer wasn't able to be extended. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you though!

One of the schools I interviewed at told me they're interviewing other people applying for the same professor as well, and since they told me that my anxiety spiked up :(

edit: I just realized this is in psychology lmao. Still figuring this site out, please disregard

Edited by BrockHarrison

23 hours ago, Keyz said:

It hasn't happened to me personally but I have read accounts of where people were supposed to get in, but without funding an offer wasn't able to be extended. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you though!

Omg worst nightmare since this will very likely be my only acceptance... at least if it doesn’t work out I still have the validation haha

I've only had one interview in my two application cycles (will attempt once again to improve the GRE score), and I'm pretty sure it did not go too well.

For future reference, how do you guys answer the typical questions like "What is your least favorite part of research?" and "What would your friends say is your weakness?"

37 minutes ago, NogitsuneX said:

I've only had one interview in my two application cycles (will attempt once again to improve the GRE score), and I'm pretty sure it did not go too well.

For future reference, how do you guys answer the typical questions like "What is your least favorite part of research?" and "What would your friends say is your weakness?"

I'm sorry you don't feel the interview went well :(  These questions have not been asked of me just yet but for the least favorite part of research, I have always thought that the length of time it takes to see a research project through from beginning (idea) to end (dissemination) is the most difficult as it takes a lot of patience and perseverance. With this question, I feel that they want to make sure you are aware of what you're getting into with a PhD program. For the weakness questions, give an honest response but also be sure to let them know what you're doing to overcome this potential weakness. I've heard of people who say that they have no weakness or come up with a weakness that is an obvious way of making you look really good- don't do this. They can easily see through this. Some "good" weaknesses I've heard of have always been paired with ways to improve them; organization, stretching your time too thin, etc.

Edited by ASDadvocate
Missed words

Just now, ASDadvocate said:

I'm sorry you don't feel the interview went well :(  These questions have not been asked of me just yet but for the least favorite part of research, I have always thought that the length of time it takes to see a research project through from beginning (idea) to end (dissemination) is the most difficult as it takes a lot of patience and perseverance. With this question, I feel that they want to make sure you are aware what you're getting into with a PhD program. For the weakness questions, give an honest response but also be sure to let me know what you're doing to overcome this potential weakness. I've heard of people who say that they they have no weakness or come up with a weakness that is an obvious way of making you look really good- don't do this. They can easily see through this. Some "good" weaknesses I've heard of have always been paired with ways to improve them; organization, stretching your time too thin, etc.

Thank you for your reply!
The length of the research project and specifically collecting the data is a good example of the least favorite research part, thanks!
As for the weaknesses – you brought up several good ones! I'm on the fence regarding public speaking – it is indeed my weakness and I am working on improving it (attending speaking engagements, TAing, etc.), but I'm not sure if it is one of those things that are a deal-breaker for the interviewers, as Ph.D. will definitely involve TAing, meetings, and a lot of public speaking to present results in general, so perhaps they are looking for someone who feels comfortable addressing the audience.

Just now, NogitsuneX said:

Huh, I've never gotten the least favorite part of research question before. That's a toughie.

2 minutes ago, ASDadvocate said:

I'm sorry you don't feel the interview went well :(  These questions have not been asked of me just yet but for the least favorite part of research, I have always thought that the length of time it takes to see a research project through from beginning (idea) to end (dissemination) is the most difficult as it takes a lot of patience and perseverance. With this question, I feel that they want to make sure you are aware what you're getting into with a PhD program. For the weakness questions, give an honest response but also be sure to let me know what you're doing to overcome this potential weakness. I've heard of people who say that they they have no weakness or come up with a weakness that is an obvious way of making you look really good- don't do this. They can easily see through this. Some "good" weaknesses I've heard of have always been paired with ways to improve them; organization, stretching your time too thin, etc.

I second this 100% when it comes to questions about weaknesses! Always be honest - it makes you look real, since no one is perfect. Sometimes people try to turn a positive into a negative ("My weakness is I care too much!") and that never looks genuine. I usually talk about public speaking (which is true!). Then, you provide a little more detail, like a specific example in your life when this weakness emerged. Finally, talk about ways you've been improving. For me, I've taken classes that have class presentations so I gain more experience speaking in front of others and have taken a class at my job to become a better presenter. 

52 minutes ago, NogitsuneX said:

Like others have said you don't want to say something that's obviously positive and then pretend it's negative to look like you're perfect (e.g., I've just accomplished too many things!). What I like to do is admit my faults, but find something positive in them and explain how I'm working on them. One of my weaknesses is that I struggle with work/life balance. When I first started graduate school, I would work in my office about 16 hours a day during the week and more on weekends. There was always another article I could read, so I had to do it. I'm less hardcore now, but I still need to work on self care and that's a goal I have. So it's definitely a negative, but they know I'm not going to slack and that I'm working on it.

Another one I've heard is being hyper-organized, spending too much time making sure everything is perfect. It's a negative because you could better spend your extra time on things that aren't organizing, but it's good to know you'll never be sloppy.

3 hours ago, yikespsych said:

Omg worst nightmare since this will very likely be my only acceptance... at least if it doesn’t work out I still have the validation haha

I really hope this doesn't happen to you, I'm sure it will all work out, but also congrats on the acceptance!

Quick rant here.

Had an interview at what was once my top program, and really felt like the POI didn't value my time at all. We had very short formal interviews as it was, and they filled a good portion with fairly irrelevant topics and then spent the rest of the time grilling me, so that I was only able to ask them one single question. Then they were not present at what was supposed to be a lab-wide meeting, so none of the applicants got the extra hour and a half to talk to them that all other applicants had with their POI. We had an informal dinner later with the graduate students, but it was a very casual environment and the professor didn't seem to want to talk about actual formalities of the program/their lab, and kept the conversation casual. In the end, I feel like I know absolutely nothing about this professor as a potential mentor, albeit a lot about their personality outside of a professional environment. 

I was very frustrated leaving that interview, as I had spent a lot of money and a lot of time coming to their program only to learn next to nothing about it from the POI, and to essentially have to piece it together from other people who worked with them. I think it's important to know what a POI is like outside of the office, but honestly if I had to pick one I'd rather know what they are like as a mentor than as a "friend". 

1 hour ago, spookycat said:

Quick rant here.

Had an interview at what was once my top program, and really felt like the POI didn't value my time at all. We had very short formal interviews as it was, and they filled a good portion with fairly irrelevant topics and then spent the rest of the time grilling me, so that I was only able to ask them one single question. Then they were not present at what was supposed to be a lab-wide meeting, so none of the applicants got the extra hour and a half to talk to them that all other applicants had with their POI. We had an informal dinner later with the graduate students, but it was a very casual environment and the professor didn't seem to want to talk about actual formalities of the program/their lab, and kept the conversation casual. In the end, I feel like I know absolutely nothing about this professor as a potential mentor, albeit a lot about their personality outside of a professional environment. 

I was very frustrated leaving that interview, as I had spent a lot of money and a lot of time coming to their program only to learn next to nothing about it from the POI, and to essentially have to piece it together from other people who worked with them. I think it's important to know what a POI is like outside of the office, but honestly if I had to pick one I'd rather know what they are like as a mentor than as a "friend". 

I had a similar experience with my POI at one of my top choices. I loved everyone else I met, but had similar misgivings about my POI - they actually grilled me on where else I applied and then when I reluctantly named a few places, told me why those were no good! It was disappointing, but ultimately it was for the best. Sorry that it went that way for you!

1 hour ago, spookycat said:

Quick rant here.

Maybe you did learn something about the POI - maybe it was just not that positive..

It has now been one month and one day since I interviewed with my top choice program. They said during the interview that I should hear "very soon" but I have not seen any results from anyone here or anywhere. When I attempted to contact the admissions office, they were pretty cagey and would not tell me anything about the status of the process. 

At this point I'm just going to act like I'm waitlisted until I hear something. which puts me waitlisted at my top two programs and rejected everywhere else. I'm having a great time. 

Edited by yeahsouh

5 minutes ago, yeahsouh said:

It has now been one month and one day since I interviewed with my top choice program. They said during the interview that I should hear "very soon" but I have not seen any results from anyone here or anywhere. When I attempted to contact the admissions office, they were pretty cagey and would not tell me anything about the status of the process. 

At this point I'm just going to act like I'm waitlisted until I hear something. which puts me waitlisted at my top two programs and rejected everywhere else. I'm having a great time. 

I feel you. It's such a stressful and emotional time, and being waitlisted is like another hurdle to get over because you never know if anyone will decline their acceptance or not. I get tempted to reach out to my POIs for information like whether anyone has accepted yet or where I am on the waitlist, but I never do because I'm always afraid that I'll ruin something. 

On 2/22/2019 at 11:28 AM, mm2234 said:

So I just found out I’m the 2nd alternate for my POI... how common is it for 2 people to decline a spot and for the 3rd option to get picked? ?

I just turned down a school that I was waitlisted at...so, ya, it for sure happens!!!

30 minutes ago, personallycentered said:

I just turned down a school that I was waitlisted at...so, ya, it for sure happens!!!

Where all did you get accepted to/waitlisted for counseling psych?

My top choice is apparently going to let us know decisions TOMORROW. I'm freaking out. Probably won't be able to sleep and will make a fool of myself at work tomorrow. Actually, come to think of it, if they call while I'm at work I might very well have to excuse myself for the day because I will probably burst out in tears from joy or anguish.

Edited by dancedementia

4 hours ago, dancedementia said:

My top choice is apparently going to let us know decisions TOMORROW. I'm freaking out. Probably won't be able to sleep and will make a fool of myself at work tomorrow. Actually, come to think of it, if they call while I'm at work I might very well have to excuse myself for the day because I will probably burst out in tears from joy or anguish.

Good luck, I hope it goes in your favor! Which is your top choice?