Starting to prepare for Fall 2020 HCI/UI UX applications

smriti23

Hey, I have an architecture background and switching to hci/ui ux and will apply OCT 2019. Anyone else in the same application boat? In the process of shortlisting schools currently! Would love to connect during the entire application process!

Read here that Pratts program wasn't the best. Anyone else have any information about other programs in the US, Canada as well as EU?

Currently considering UW, CMU, University of Michigan Ann arbor, Umea, Delft, Alto (for visual communication design)

Edited by smriti23

• 2 weeks later...

I read a few threads where the students there themselves werent recomending pratt for this course. Also a friend of mine went for a campus visit and said it was "less than inspiring"

what art schools did you pick? @yona

also what is your background and are you a us citizen?

Edited by smriti23

@smriti23 yes, I've read it too, lots of people also say that Pratt is too concentrated on library studies and projects?? mostly theory stuff and less practice. 

but I still included it to the list because according to my research the acceptance rate at Pratt is higher than 70% and most students receive some kind of scholarship, and the tuition is not that expensive. I will also apply to SCAD and maybe SVA but I'm not sure about it yet

I am CS major by the way! and not a US citizen, I'm from Eastern Europe haha

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in this boat! American young professional here, but i'm not interested in UI 

I'm looking at SVA, Parsons, and Pratt (though I put that last because I heard it wasn't great either)

Not looking at NYU though. I wish Columbia had some sort of program to consider. 

Edited by curiousaboutanyandallthing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@smriti23 sorry just saw this...but I'm actually really just interested in the Transdisciplinary Design program now haha I'm now also considering something like Bentley's part on campus part online Human Factors in Information Design program (though it seems like the alum network/job placements are really centered around boston) 

I'd also apply to NYU if it wasn't so technically focused and unstructured 

Edited by curiousaboutanyandallthing

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I changed the schools I was going to apply to after doing a lot more research and UW went on my list. Update, I got a portfolio view from Shoreline, WA. That's ~9 mi north of Seattle...might be nothing but my stomach flipped. No one checks my portfolio in general haha...

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, UXGuy said:

Did everyone here who applied for the CMU MHCI program receive the request for interview? Till now, I just had one interview for the IUB MHCI/d program.

No interview from IUB, but I received request for interview from CMU MHCI about a week ago I think?

How did your interview go!

Edited by Janelle

On 1/30/2020 at 10:52 AM, Janelle said:

I changed the schools I was going to apply to after doing a lot more research and UW went on my list. Update, I got a portfolio view from Shoreline, WA. That's ~9 mi north of Seattle...might be nothing but my stomach flipped. No one checks my portfolio in general haha...

Hi, @Janelle . I got a couple of visits to my portfolio from Seattle and one from Bellevue, WA. (I applied to MHCI+D).
But none from Atlanta (Georgia Tech), which I'm super worried about.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:23 AM, Janelle said:

No interview from IUB, but I received request for interview from CMU MHCI about a week ago I think?

How did your interview go!

As I am an international student, IUB conducted a Skype interview (TEPAIC) to judge my English proficiency. It was a casual conversation where two linguistics students asked me about why I applied to this program, what are my hobbies and motivations, and what I would like to do after my graduate studies. More details about TEPAIC can be found here: https://dsls.indiana.edu/programs/tepaic.html

The interview was short but I feel that it went well. The interviewers said that, I was able to answer most of their questions quickly. Now, I am anxiously waiting for the admission decisions. ?

Edited by UXGuy

On 2/14/2020 at 8:26 AM, Lavs said:

Hi, @Janelle . I got a couple of visits to my portfolio from Seattle and one from Bellevue, WA. (I applied to MHCI+D).
But none from Atlanta (Georgia Tech), which I'm super worried about.

Ah nice! Hmm, I think GT is probably still reviewing materials...I just checked my portfolio to see and they seemed to have checked just this week (only for less than a minute...?

On 2/14/2020 at 9:24 AM, UXGuy said:

As I am an international student, IUB conducted a Skype interview (TEPAIC) to judge my English proficiency. It was a casual conversation where two linguistics students asked me about why I applied to this program, what are my hobbies and motivations, and what I would like to do after my graduate studies. More details about TEPAIC can be found here: https://dsls.indiana.edu/programs/tepaic.html

The interview was short but I feel that it went well. The interviewers said that, I was able to answer most of their questions quickly. Now, I am anxiously waiting for the admission decisions. ?

Ooh okay thank you for those details. That's great to hear! Best of luck!

On 2/17/2020 at 10:16 AM, Janelle said:

Ah nice! Hmm, I think GT is probably still reviewing materials...I just checked my portfolio to see and they seemed to have checked just this week (only for less than a minute...?

Oh, they will review it in detail in a few days I guess. That's what MHCI+D did with mine. 
Has your GT Application Status changed to Dept. Decision Made?

10 hours ago, Lavs said:

Oh, they will review it in detail in a few days I guess. That's what MHCI+D did with mine. 
Has your GT Application Status changed to Dept. Decision Made?

I just checked, it is! ??I got accepted! Did your status change?!?

2 hours ago, Bayboy said:

I applied to ID and it still says To dept for review. I think in the past different departments have released acceptances on different dates. 

Oh! I applied to ID as well! and still showing To dept for review. I'm doing an interview with an alumnus from CMU's mhci program and haven't heard any other news from other programs (HCDE/MHCI+D/UMSI..)