2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

1 hour ago, mitochondria_1 said:

For those who already did their interview at NYU Sackler, did you received the names of the faculty you are interviewing with the same day? My interview starts tomorrow and I haven't received any email about who I'm interviewing with. 

I believe I got my itinerary email with interviewing faculty two days before the interview day. If you haven't yet I'd definitely suggest reaching out to the program admin or whomever sent you the invite email. There's no harm in doing so.

3 hours ago, gene_machine509 said:

Congrats! I've heard great things about Drexel. I have one more interview but I am deciding between Iowa's Genetics program (applied to neuroscience but got routed to genetics instead) and the Behavioral and Neural Sciences program at Rutgers-Newark. 

Anyone know much about the Newark area? I'm not sure how far the stipend will go somewhere that close to NYC. 

I'm from Philly, but I don't think Newark is too expensive. Def less than NYC!

4 hours ago, gene_machine509 said:

Congrats! I've heard great things about Drexel. I have one more interview but I am deciding between Iowa's Genetics program (applied to neuroscience but got routed to genetics instead) and the Behavioral and Neural Sciences program at Rutgers-Newark. 

Anyone know much about the Newark area? I'm not sure how far the stipend will go somewhere that close to NYC. 

Newark is pretty cheap, the main concern is safety. Its not that bad there, but definitely take into account safety when choosing a place to live bc there will be some very affordable options but they may be in areas where you wouldn't want to walk alone at night. Also if you end up going there theres a TON of great food in the area.  (from someone who is from north jersey (20 min from newark) but currently lives in baltimore)

3 hours ago, Bunnie said:

I believe I got my itinerary email with interviewing faculty two days before the interview day. If you haven't yet I'd definitely suggest reaching out to the program admin or whomever sent you the invite email. There's no harm in doing so.

Thanks for the inf :) 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:34 AM, LilAstro said:

Now that application season is winding down, where has everyone committed/is going to commit? Hope to see you all at future SfNs/conferences and wish you all the best of luck in your career!

I have committed to Drexel University College of Medicine for the PhD program in Neuroscience!

Congrats! I'm headed to University of MD, Baltimore for Neuroscience!

Hey, so I found out I'm waitlisted at my top choice school. It's a pretty competitive school so I'm guessing that the people who received offers there will also have offers from other competitive places, which makes me think there's a chance they'll turn down the offer (from my top choice school). But, I don't want to get my hopes up about getting in. Does anyone know the chances of getting off the waitlist in a situation like this? I spoke with a POI and they told me that they will be strongly advocating for me if a spot opens up.

5 hours ago, zebrafishfan said:

Hey, so I found out I'm waitlisted at my top choice school. It's a pretty competitive school so I'm guessing that the people who received offers there will also have offers from other competitive places, which makes me think there's a chance they'll turn down the offer (from my top choice school). But, I don't want to get my hopes up about getting in. Does anyone know the chances of getting off the waitlist in a situation like this? I spoke with a POI and they told me that they will be strongly advocating for me if a spot opens up.

If Columbia is the school you're thinking of, I spoke to a current student there who got his invite in June!

19 hours ago, zebrafishfan said:

There is hope for you, I heard of cases where students in the waiting list get an offer after April 15th. I hope you hear back good news.

1 hour ago, mitochondria_1 said:

There is hope for you, I heard of cases where students in the waiting list get an offer after April 15th. I hope you hear back good news.

Thank you! Just unsure how to navigate rescinding my acceptance of another school's offer if I get off the waitlist after April 15th...I guess I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes. 

16 minutes ago, zebrafishfan said:

Thank you! Just unsure how to navigate rescinding my acceptance of another school's offer if I get off the waitlist after April 15th...I guess I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes. 

I think you would just have to contact them and thank them for the opportunity but tell them your plans have changed and you were accepted to your top choice. From what I understand, if you haven’t matriculated, you’re a free agent. You’ll definitely want to get advice on it though!

Edited by Mimititi