2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

1 hour ago, Kare62 said:

Did anyone get an official email from Stanford ? 

They have just sent an e-mail to check the application portal for decision letters.

Edited by so1.618e

I have also received a rejection from stanford. This was surprising though, since I emailed one of the profs I was interested to work with and he replied to acknowledge my email. In the email he said something like happy to hear from you, glad you are interested, glad you worked on something related, we will likely meet as part of the admissions process. I thought this meant that I would likely get interviewed.. He wasn't on the grad committee though. Did I read too much? Should I check with him now I have already received the rejection?

Edited by Liyuan

An unrelated question: Is it typical for schools to interview international students by Skype rather than fly-in visit? So far I have received 3 interviews, all via skype. Is this normal and would they ask me to fly in later or not at all?

If it matters the schools I received interviews from are Northwestern, CMU and CNBC

Edited by Liyuan

3 hours ago, blacknnerdy said:

I sent all of my interviewers a thank you email. I just thanked them for their time and mentioned something I liked or was memorable from our conversation.

Thank you for sharing!

10 minutes ago, Liyuan said:

I have also received a rejection from stanford. This was surprising though, since I emailed one of the profs I was interested to work with and he replied to acknowledge my email. In the email he said something like happy to hear from you, glad you are interested, glad you worked on something related, we will likely meet as part of the admissions process. I thought this meant that I would likely get interviewed.. He wasn't on the grad committee though. Did I read too much? Should I check with him now I have already received the rejection?

Those are standard responses. It does not guarantee anything. 

18 hours ago, Liyuan said:

The reply from the professor seems to be a very standard and general one, it indeed does not guarantee anything especially he was not on the committee. I would see it as a POSITIVE response if it’s about potential projects or researches under their future grants. 

18 hours ago, Liyuan said:

An unrelated question: Is it typical for schools to interview international students by Skype rather than fly-in visit? So far I have received 3 interviews, all via skype. Is this normal and would they ask me to fly in later or not at all?

If it matters the schools I received interviews from are Northwestern, CMU and CNBC

If you live overseas (except Canada maybe?) , it’s not likely to get a on-campus visit after the Skype interviews because most of the programs will have the “open-house” soon. Even I did see a few programs offered international trip for the candidates but those invitations should be sent very early, like in Dec.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:08 AM, mmalam294 said:

Those who had on-campus interviews already, did you guys follow up with a thank you email? If so, who did you send the email(s) to? The director of the admissions and/or the individual interviewers? Thanks in advance for your help!

How did people write these emails? I'm trying and just don't know what to write without sound disingenuous or like I'm trying too hard.

3 hours ago, LilAstro said:

How did people write these emails? I'm trying and just don't know what to write without sound disingenuous or like I'm trying too hard.

I ended up not emailing. I talked to one of the postdocs at my current lab, and she said that she thinks it really doesn't matter as most interviewers end up submitting their evaluations that same day or the day after. It's a nice gesture though if you end up sending any. 

On a side note, did you hear anything from Albert Einstein?

On 1/22/2020 at 8:00 PM, mmalam294 said:

I ended up not emailing. I talked to one of the postdocs at my current lab, and she said that she thinks it really doesn't matter as most interviewers end up submitting their evaluations that same day or the day after. It's a nice gesture though if you end up sending any. 

On a side note, did you hear anything from Albert Einstein?

I haven’t heard anything since I last emailed them! Waiting is driving me nuts. ??

If anyone's waiting like me for the BU interviews - The interview lists are being made, no invites have gone out yet, however, the initial group might go out soon.

Good luck everyone

Edited by HopeforNeuroPhd

10 minutes ago, LilAstro said:

Does anyone know when the interview weekends for Albert Einsteins or UCLA are? Trying to see if I should hold out any hope.

Nevermind, I found UCLA interview weekends, but can't find any for Albert Einstein.

Have  rejections from Brown Neuroscience been sent out.My list is dwindling

1.       Brown Neuroscience (Waiting)

2.       Oklahoma Neuroscience (Waiting)

3.       NYU BBS (Rejection)

4.       Penn State BBS(Rejection)

5.       Yale BBS (Rejection)

6. Cornell BBS (Rejection)

Edited by tbk86

1 hour ago, tbk86 said:

Have  rejections from Brown Neuroscience been sent out.My list is dwindling

1.       Brown Neuroscience (Waiting)

2.       Oklahoma Neuroscience (Waiting)

3.       NYU BBS (Rejection)

4.       Penn State BBS(Rejection)

5.       Yale BBS (Rejection)

6. Cornell BBS (Rejection)

Where did you get the Yale rejection from? I also applied there but no updates yet.