2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

Hey everyone, moderator here.  There were a lot of complaints about RadNeuro's comments.  They have been hidden and the user will no longer be able to post. For the sake of continuity of the thread and to prevent further derailment, I have deleted replies to his comments as well, even though some of them were very nice.  Please continue about your discussions, and good luck to all of you!

On 1/8/2020 at 11:14 AM, Herstology said:

Hmm I still didn’t receive anything but maybe it’s because I selected the last interview date

Probably that is the reason, but you will get it soon. I just finished my interview at Mount Sinai. Such a great experience.

Edited by mitochondria_1

7 hours ago, mitochondria_1 said:

Probably that is the reason, but you will get it soon. I just finished my interview at Mount Sinai. Such a great experience.

Yeah I got it a few days ago.

That’s amazing to hear! Now I’m even more excited for my interview :) 

6 hours ago, Herstology said:

Yeah I got it a few days ago.

That’s amazing to hear! Now I’m even more excited for my interview :) 

I am just curious .Did Brown send out rejections .I was checking last year's results and I noticed that by this date they had been sent out.I wrote to the department to enquire about my status a week ago and they did not reply whilst the status of my application portal has not changed.I have not received an invitation for interviews .I am international and have noticed that interview invites for domestic applicants were sent out recently.Last question can someone be accepted without an interview.

Edited by tbk86

Has anyone heard anything from Stanford Neuroscience since Wednesday? In past years they called people on multiple days but I haven't heard of anyone getting anything besides that one day. Wondering if I should mentally cross it off or not!

Edited by Geekyogurt

1 hour ago, Geekyogurt said:

Has anyone heard anything from Stanford Neuroscience since Wednesday? In past years they called people on multiple days but I haven't heard of anyone getting anything besides that one day. Wondering if I should mentally cross it off or not!

Still haven’t received any official invite after my unofficial one! I wouldn’t cross it off yet 

20 hours ago, Scrappyhappy said:

I received one Jan 3 for Einstein, and only listed interest in neuroscience

Congratulations! Wish you all the best for your upcoming interview(s). I hope I get an interview from Einstein. Definitely want to stay in the NYC area since my wife just started her law school here

On 1/11/2020 at 3:19 AM, hippocampus2020 said:

For those who got interview invites from Baylor College of Medicine, when are the dates?

Haven't heard from them, but keeping a lookout. Lmk if you hear from them!

5 minutes ago, Polar said:

Just got my rejection from UNC BBSP.

In the email they said they have over 1900 applicants this year.

Same :( I hate this process so much - I feel so rejected.

2 minutes ago, LilAstro said:

Same :( I hate this process so much - I feel so rejected.

Not really surprised b/c no interview so far. But it seems they have many many more applicants than before. From the stats on UNC website it’s like ~1000 a few years ago?

Also - although someone already asked in this stream - could someone get an offer without receiving an interview? It looks like some programs have already sent out all interviews, but no rejections. Why do they keep us in the false hope :(

3 minutes ago, Polar said:

Not really surprised b/c no interview so far. But it seems they have many many more applicants than before. From the stats on UNC website it’s like ~1000 a few years ago?

Also - although someone already asked in this stream - could someone get an offer without receiving an interview? It looks like some programs have already sent out all interviews, but no rejections. Why do they keep us in the false hope :(

I think it's just a lot of work to send out the rejections and they're probably focusing on getting the interviews together. 

From UCI

Dear Prospective Student/Graduate Applicant,

Thank you for the follow up regarding your application status.  Our Admissions Committee has recently reviewed all applications and is in the first phase of reviewing/inviting.

We are sorry that you have not heard from us regarding our recruitment weekend. We ask for your patience in this recruitment process and you'll be hearing from us in the near future.

Again, thank you for your interest with the Graduate Program, here at the University of California, Irvine.

Is there anyone who still hasn't heard from UNC BBSP? I don't know if they just have a lot of rejection emails to send and that's because I didn't receive one with everyone else (but I'll at some point) or if not receiving one actually means something now, like a wait-list or something. 

Edited by verdandi

1 hour ago, verdandi said:

Is there anyone who still hasn't heard from UNC BBSP? I don't know if they just have a lot of rejection emails to send and that's because I didn't receive one with everyone else but I'll at some point or if not receiving one actually means something now, like a wait-list or something. 

Hey, no news is good news! I hope you get an invited, good luck!

On 1/11/2020 at 5:05 PM, Herstology said:

Still haven’t received any official invite after my unofficial one! I wouldn’t cross it off yet 

Still nothing? This uncertainty is killing me...

Edited by pinkmug

For all of you bitting your nails off waiting to hear back from Stanford - I emailed them and this is what they just (one min ago) said :

Dear .___,

In the coming week, the committees will start to contact those applicants who have been selected for an interview. The selected applicants will be invited to interview, at our expense, arriving on Wednesday, March 4 and departing on Sunday, March 8, 2020. This is our only interview session. Highly qualified applicants residing in other countries and for whom a visit would not be possible may be selected for a telephone interview.

In general, if an applicant has not heard about a possible invitation by late January, it is unlikely that he or she will be invited to Stanford or admitted. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will receive a letter which states that no further action will be taken on their application by the Committee on Graduate Admissions and Policy.

Best regards,

Stanford Biosciences