2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

4 minutes ago, Herstology said:

When did you receive the guidebook emails? I never received them

At 11:28pm (registration with my email address) and 11:44pm (schedule). Maybe they are registering and uploading individually. My last name would come up early. I also just received a second schedule at 11:54pm as I was typing my reply.

2 minutes ago, mathbio said:

At 11:28pm (registration with my email address) and 11:44pm (schedule). Maybe they are registering and uploading individually. My last name would come up early. I also just received a second schedule at 11:54pm as I was typing my reply.

Ah so you received them yesterday? In that case I’m not worried, I was just confused cause their video suggested they might’ve been sent earlier 

7 minutes ago, Herstology said:

Ah so you received them yesterday? In that case I’m not worried, I was just confused cause their video suggested they might’ve been sent earlier 

Actually within the last 30 minutes I received these emails. I think you will receive them soon as well!

1 hour ago, Herstology said:

@people who are going to mount Sinai interviews - have you downloaded the guidebook app and if so how did you find it?

They sent an email with the link. When you click "open this guide" it gives you the option to download the app. 

2 hours ago, lil_neuron said:

This is an interview logistic question for those who got an invite from Johns Hopkins neuro

had anyone heard back from JHU regarding travel? Scared I missed something

I was starting to worry about that too but no, I have not heard anything from Hopkins since I emailed them with that spreadsheet to tell them my preferred date.

26 minutes ago, gradcafeneurosis said:

I was starting to worry about that too but no, I have not heard anything from Hopkins since I emailed them with that spreadsheet to tell them my preferred date.

I sent the spreadsheet and recieved a response recently that just said "Great, thanks" like two weeks later. 

On 1/5/2020 at 4:59 AM, Neurosci2020 said:

Hi all! Question about American norms in international travel funding. 

I received an invitation from 2 schools that offer funding for international travels, and 2 schools that offer domestic travel refund only. 

So... How should I manage my funding requests? should I ask to split the int'l flight between two schools? is it ok for a school to pay for an int'l flight that is approx. 3 weeks before the interview, which clearly means that I am using their funding to get to a different interview? What is considered polite to do in this case?

Many thanks! 

I think it's perfectly fine to let two schools split the international flight, and that's actually what one of my interviews suggested. Just tell them you want them to split, and they would be happy to do that.

4 hours ago, Sammetabolite said:

Great! fingers crossed now?

Their website says they review small batches of applications every monday until march-ish I believe. One interview date I was offered was March 27th so I would say look out for an email on Tuesdays between now until march. If it helps to know I submitted my app on Dec 1st

Edited by rejectionkween2020

28 minutes ago, Polar said:

I know it's probably too early to give up hope, but I was just wondering - for those who have only rejections/no interviews (like me),  when should we start considering alternative plans? Like planning to apply for the next year or looking for an RA job?

I have one rejection, which was so obvious,and 4 who are just silent. Am international .I dont know if you are in the same situation.

22 minutes ago, tbk86 said:

I have one rejection, which was so obvious,and 4 who are just silent. Am international .I dont know if you are in the same situation.

Similar situation. Also international. So far no interviews. I have 2 rejections, 5 schools probably close to rejection (they sent interviews but I didn’t receive any). Several schools haven’t sent interviews but my feeling is that they might be the same. I was wondering if I should plan for another year :(

18 minutes ago, Polar said:

Similar situation. Also international. So far no interviews. I have 2 rejections, 5 schools probably close to rejection (they sent interviews but I didn’t receive any). Several schools haven’t sent interviews but my feeling is that they might be the same. I was wondering if I should plan for another year :(

Same situation. Also, international. I have seen that people apply to RA Jobs in US on J-1 visa in this thread but after googling I got the idea that few employers would hire people on J-1 cause it's a long process or something. How are you planning on getting RA position? I feel that's the only of getting experience that would be significant for a phd consideration.