2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

19 minutes ago, Herstology said:

Just received official R from Rockefeller! First rejection from one of my top choices :(  but looking forward to the interviews I have 

edit: first “official rejection” 

me too. so sad, even the rej letter is so short

1 hour ago, schaffercolls said:

I don't know. Aside from the timing issue (people looking for tech positions probably starting May-June, and leaving techs vacating their positions in August-September), I don't see why not.

May I ask a question about the timeline for applying RA positions - typically when do people start applying, and how long does it take to know whether or not you would get the RA position, and then do people start immediately, or after a certain period of time?

47 minutes ago, Polar said:

May I ask a question about the timeline for applying RA positions - typically when do people start applying, and how long does it take to know whether or not you would get the RA position, and then do people start immediately, or after a certain period of time?

You should treat RA/Tech positions as job applications. You can apply to any lab, anywhere, at any time if they have an opening/funding. However, like job applications, you could send out 30 cover letters/resumes and have none of them bite. Unlike job applications, if a lab doesn't have funding for graduate students it probably means they don't have funding for a tech (Not all the time, but keep that in mind). Generally starts immediately to about a month out (to let employed individuals put in a 2-week notice, etc.). I would assume labs are forgiving if you are still in school and are willing to wait until graduation to hire you as a full-time employee. 

6 minutes ago, schaffercolls said:

You should treat RA/Tech positions as job applications. You can apply to any lab, anywhere, at any time if they have an opening/funding. However, like job applications, you could send out 30 cover letters/resumes and have none of them bite. Unlike job applications, if a lab doesn't have funding for graduate students it probably means they don't have funding for a tech (Not all the time, but keep that in mind). Generally starts immediately to about a month out (to let employed individuals put in a 2-week notice, etc.). I would assume labs are forgiving if you are still in school and are willing to wait until graduation to hire you as a full-time employee. 

Thank you so much for the information! And may I add one more question - assuming you see an opening posted, and send out an application, how long would it usually take to receive a feedback (if they give you a feedback that you can get the job)?

Just a bit concerned about the timeline due to visa issues.

4 minutes ago, Polar said:

Thank you so much for the information! And may I add one more question - assuming you see an opening posted, and send out an application, how long would it usually take to receive a feedback (if they give you a feedback that you can get the job)?

Just a bit concerned about the timeline due to visa issues.

It varies wildly. Especially if you are responding to a job posting somewhere. This could mean they pool applications up to a certain date and then contact people they like, or they send replies to applicants first-come-first-serve.

If you are cold calling someone they will probably respond in a matter of days, assuming they check their emails fairly regularly. The positive thing about all of this is that if it is urgent, you can mention reasons for expedition (visa) and follow up on your email with an inquiry about the process/timelines/your chances of interview, getting the position, etc. (unlike grad apps).

14 minutes ago, schaffercolls said:

It varies wildly. Especially if you are responding to a job posting somewhere. This could mean they pool applications up to a certain date and then contact people they like, or they send replies to applicants first-come-first-serve.

If you are cold calling someone they will probably respond in a matter of days, assuming they check their emails fairly regularly. The positive thing about all of this is that if it is urgent, you can mention reasons for expedition (visa) and follow up on your email with an inquiry about the process/timelines/your chances of interview, getting the position, etc. (unlike grad apps).

Thanks again for the information! 

1 minute ago, Erika1234 said:

Via email? And is this for Sackler or Neural Science? Congratulations!!

yes via email. I applied for Neural Science, but the email subject said "Invite for NYU Neuroscience", so not sure if this wave was from GSAS or Sackler. 

1 minute ago, Erika1234 said:

Via email? And is this for Sackler or Neural Science? Congratulations!!

yes via email. I applied for Neural Science, but the email subject said "Invite for NYU Neuroscience", so not sure if this wave was from GSAS or Sackler. 

6 hours ago, lil_neuron said:

Congratulations!! Seems like you got most of your schools! Are you an international student or domestic? 

Good luck future neuroscientists! From a future bioengineer! (Because I apparently cannot delete posts on Grad Cafe)

Edited by ydzhu

45 minutes ago, SAMOO said:

If I did not get anything from Stanford, Should I consider this rejection??

I think I read someone quote a Stanford email that said “no news is not bad news.” Only bad news is bad news. Of course, no news is not good news, which is clearly what both of us want from Stanford. Best of luck!

Edited by ydzhu

17 hours ago, faddie97 said:

For those who have received an interview from Mount Sinai and chose the last interview date (Jan16-17), have you gotten any information regarding faculty you'll be interviewing with or link to guidebook? 

I got the guidebook link last night, you’ll probably get it soon if you haven’t yet 

Hi Kendra,

Thank you for completing an application with the Einstein PhD program. We will be sending out invitations and decision emails in waves over the upcoming weeks. We understand that this is an anxious time for our applicants and we thank you for your patience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

There's still hope for Einstein!

19 minutes ago, Kendra Case said:

Hi Kendra,

Thank you for completing an application with the Einstein PhD program. We will be sending out invitations and decision emails in waves over the upcoming weeks. We understand that this is an anxious time for our applicants and we thank you for your patience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

There's still hope for Einstein!

Amazing! Thanks for sharing

Did Einstein neuroscience send put some interview invites? I didn't see anything.

6 minutes ago, mmalam294 said:

Amazing! Thanks for sharing

Did Einstein neuroscience send put some interview invites? I didn't see anything.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. From this email it seems like they're still deciding.

I don't know if this is pertinent information to anyone here because it's technically a psych program but UChicago Integrative Neuro sent out interviews yesterday. 

Edit: Sorry I didn't know people would be so upset that I posted this here. I'm not quite sure how to delete the comment? But I posted it here because integrative neuro and neurbio at Uchicago are very similar in curriculum and have a lot of faculty overlap so I wasn't sure if some people here applied to the integrative neuro program instead of neurobio. I personally applied to mostly neuro/bio programs but at uchicago chose integrative neuro instead of neurobio because it has better funding

Edited by rejectionkween2020