2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

Just emailed NUIN (Northwestern) about not getting either a reject or interview invite and she confirmed i was on the waitlist for interview but unlikely to get off waitlist at this point. Probably most people accepted the invite. Hope this helps anyone else waiting to hear from them. Possibly the case for other schools that haven't sent a reject or interview.

5 hours ago, LilAstro said:

I emailed them about my application. They may have a small reserve, but it seemed like they're done. They did say they had over 500 applicants for the program and they only offer a handful of spots.

Darn, thanks for the update!

On 1/14/2020 at 10:26 PM, spineyneuron said:

Anyone else not heard anything from Hopkins? Saw that some interviews went out, then some more and someone said they got a rejection?

I emailed to adcom a week ago and haven't received a response. But on the results page someone said this " To the poster asking about Neuroscience program. The coordinator of Neuroscience program replied to me that all interview invitations have gone out. But hopefully, BCMB is still making decisions. How I hope to get the opportunity from BCMB !!!".

Yet it looks like in addition to interview invites, some people received rejections and someone was offered evaluation by PBS. I applied to both Neuroscience and PBS programs and haven't heard anything. So what should I understand from of all these? Do you think I should be contacting the PI/POI (we had a long Skype conversation prior to applications)

Many thanks and good luck to everyone!

Edited by CA3
typo

17 minutes ago, NoBrainer said:

Seriously, what's the reason for all the swamped programs? Why all the programs seem to have doubled applicants all of a sudden?

Many programs have dropped the GRE requirement this year, which in the past may have been financially prohibitive for some applicants.

21 minutes ago, gliagirl said:

Many programs have dropped the GRE requirement this year, which in the past may have been financially prohibitive for some applicants.

Do programs that still require GRE also have doubled applicants? Like NYU neural science and BU GPN?

BTW has anyone heard from BU GPN?

17 minutes ago, Polar said:

Do programs that still require GRE also have doubled applicants? Like NYU neural science and BU GPN?

Hard to say! I'm speaking mostly from things I've seen on science Twitter, so don't have any hard numbers, unfortunately. In general, though, there's a growing movement to eliminate the GRE as a whole from PhD programs (or at least make it optional), and I think it'll encourage many more individuals to apply for whom the GRE may have been an obstacle.

22 minutes ago, Polar said:

Well my two cents but it means possibility to apply to more programs with less money overall, so I’d expect programs with GRE requirement to have increased number of applicants as well.

27 minutes ago, Polar said:

I haven't heard from BU and NYU so far. But looking at the result list, it seems that BU usually send out invitations from Feb.

For those of you who have contacted admissions or academic coordinators, how have you approached asking about your application? Have you gotten pleasant responses? I haven’t heard back from any of my five schools (Brown, Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, UMaryland) and see that others have. I don’t want to make a negative impression by asking, but this waiting game is driving me crazy!

1 hour ago, RainbowRyn said:

For those of you who have contacted admissions or academic coordinators, how have you approached asking about your application? Have you gotten pleasant responses? I haven’t heard back from any of my five schools (Brown, Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, UMaryland) and see that others have. I don’t want to make a negative impression by asking, but this waiting game is driving me crazy!

Brown and Harvard are both done as far as I know and unlikely to consider uninvited candidates. 

1 hour ago, RainbowRyn said:

I have the same concern so I haven't contacted any of them. From earlier replys of this thread, it seemed that they just contacted the admission office for an update of their status.

@gene-machine509 One of my lab mates applied to Utah and got invited to interview a couple weeks ago. She had been talking with her potential PI frequently before applying, she said the PI couldn’t outright guarantee an interview but it was pretty implied. 

Edited by RainbowRyn