2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

On 1/30/2020 at 7:28 PM, NervousNeuro said:

Anyone here anything from UMass Amherst, Drexel, or Casewestern? Been radio silent for me and I’m freaking out ?

I received an interview invite from UMass Amherst on Dec. 23. I declined the interview, but it takes place Feb. 12 - 14. 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:32 PM, zebrafishfan said:

Has anyone heard back from Columbia after going to the first interview weekend?

I got an email back saying "they consider me a strong candidate, and will update me after the second interview weekend with my admission decision". 

On 2/1/2020 at 5:49 PM, masha18 said:

Does anyone know if all interview invites for CNBC program in neural computation have gone out?

They have; I received an invite back in December, and the interview weekend is next week.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:32 AM, Annairam said:

Anyone knows if NYU is still doing interviews or if it has sent out rejections? I haven't received anything from this school but there is an update (for Sackler) on results. 

I was in the same boat so I emailed them about it and then same day got an email saying there was an update to my application, logged in and rejected :( What did they do, forget to reject us?

12 minutes ago, Edub1234 said:

I was in the same boat so I emailed them about it and then same day got an email saying there was an update to my application, logged in and rejected :( What did they do, forget to reject us?

I also have recieved neither an invite or a rejection from them. It seems that I might be rejected too according to your post:(

On 2/2/2020 at 7:24 AM, Jbatt said:

I saw some people have gotten interviews and some have gotten rejections from Johns Hopkins, but I have not heard anything. Should I consider myself “waitlisted” as of now? 

I am also in the same situation. so nervous.... Have you mailed them to ask something about it?

31 minutes ago, Edub1234 said:

Thanks for letting me know, I will send them an email as well. I have been expecting a rejection at this point but as they say hope dies last. Good luck with the rest of the results! :) :) 

15 hours ago, alsayn said:

Has anyone heard anything from CU Denver at all?? (Or UCLA regarding interviews/rejections, since I've heard they're still sending out invites because there are two weekends)

I got this email from UCLA after I emailed them a while ago. 

Hi Kendra,

Thank you for your email and thank you for your application! Applications are still being reviewed at this time. We will reach out to you directly if we need any information from you or to provide you with any updates regarding your application.

5 hours ago, LilAstro said:

I got this email from UCLA after I emailed them a while ago. 

Hi Kendra,

Thank you for your email and thank you for your application! Applications are still being reviewed at this time. We will reach out to you directly if we need any information from you or to provide you with any updates regarding your application.

Oh yikes that's more or less what I got when I emailed in early Jan (although then it said that they'd take til the end of the month). And UCLA says they'll send out invites up til ~2 weeks before interview dates, so who knows lmao. 

Meanwhile CUD sent out some invites in Dec and also have a silent/soft waitlist, so ig people could miss interview week and still be accepted from the waitlist??

On 2/6/2020 at 9:34 AM, neuroo said:

I am also in the same situation. so nervous.... Have you mailed them to ask something about it?

No I have not, but if I hear nothing by the end of this week, I definitely will.

Hey everyone,

I'm just making this post to tell everyone I've been rejected everywhere in the U.S., but received a few offers from Canada and Europe. I have decided to start my PhD in computational neuroscience at University of Toronto this Fall (2020). I applied to these programs in computational, theoretical, and mathematical neuroscience. 

Rejections:

• Boston University
  • California Institute of Technology
  • Carnegie Mellon University-University of Pittsburgh
  • University College London
  • University of California, San Diego
  • University of Chicago
  • University of Oregon
  • University of Washington
  • GPA
    • Undergraduate: 3.3 (Physics major from Indiana University-Bloomington)
      • Includes:  thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, quantum physics, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, neuroscience, biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, epistemology, logic, poetry, ethics, and philosophy of science.
    • Post-baccalaureate: 4.0
  • Research
    • 2 first-author manuscripts and 1 second-author.
    • 4 years of bioinformatics research during undergrad
      • Includes two summer REU's: one in bioinformatics (Cornell University) and one in computational neuroscience (U Chicago)
    • 2 years of NIH postbac IRTA: 1 year of bioinformatics and 1 year of computational neuroscience
      • Two bioinformatics contest awards and one national research award
    • Dozens of GitHub repositories with over ten thousand commits showcasing my work in mathematics, physics, philosophy, computer science, biology, neuroscience, and other areas.
    • It shows my R, python, MATLAB, and Haskell skills in data science, software engineering, machine learning, visualization, pipelines, and other techniques that span computational disciplines.
    • This includes self-study and work from previous labs and internships.