2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

13 hours ago, rejectionkween2020 said:

Their website says they review small batches of applications every monday until march-ish I believe. One interview date I was offered was March 27th so I would say look out for an email on Tuesdays between now until march. If it helps to know I submitted my app on Dec 1st

Thanks for the info. I submitted my application since October, although I am an international student already in US rounding up my masters program. I am expectant. 

2 hours ago, Fruit Flies said:

I got both. But they might still only accept for one.

when did you hear from brown? I applied to multiple GPP programs, heard back from one, but not from brown

10 hours ago, mabelgoestophd said:

Same situation. Also, international. I have seen that people apply to RA Jobs in US on J-1 visa in this thread but after googling I got the idea that few employers would hire people on J-1 cause it's a long process or something. How are you planning on getting RA position? I feel that's the only of getting experience that would be significant for a phd consideration. 

I am currently in US with student visa, so probably going to work on F-1 OPT. Yes I have seen someone posted in this thread working on J-1 visa. I'm not sure how difficult it is procedurally, but I know that many postdocs (with or without US PhD degree) can work with J-1 visa. I also know a few international students work on F-2 or J-2 or H-4 in US (if you are married). Is it possible to apply for RA jobs in Europe?

Hopefully interviews are not done yet, and sometimes people can get an offer in March or April even without an interview. Good luck!

(Now I have 2 rejections and 6 silent applications... It's probably theoretically too early to give up, but maybe I should consider alternative plan. Actually feeling better now)

1 minute ago, Polar said:

I am currently in US with student visa, so probably going to work on F-1 OPT. Yes I have seen someone posted in this thread working on J-1 visa. I'm not sure how difficult it is procedurally, but I know that many postdocs (with or without US PhD degree) can work with J-1 visa. I also know a few international students work on F-2 or J-2 or H-4 in US (if you are married). Is it possible to apply for RA jobs in Europe?

Hopefully interviews are not done yet, and sometimes people can get an offer in March or April even without an interview. Good luck!

(Now I have 2 rejections and 6 silent applications... It's probably theoretically too early to give up, but maybe I should consider alternative plan. Actually feeling better now)

As an international student, I totally understand your feelings right now. This year is different as many programs waived the GRE so it may take longer than usual. If you have OPT for your currently pursuing degree, applying an RA job in a school you really want to go is a good choice. I know some people did so and in the next year they got interviews and offers. Anyway, wait patiently and also get yourself prepared for the job market. Wish you the best luck!

9 minutes ago, Polar said:

Honestly start with contingencies now. Even RA/Tech jobs are far and few between, and it gets more selective depending on what kind of research you're looking into, so it will be some time before these efforts produce results. Additionally, if you're in undergrad until May/June, you have time to confirm your position (whether you get into grad school, or get a tech position, etc.). Don't wait until March, because that is when everyone is thinking the same thing as you are.

Edited by schaffercolls

12 minutes ago, Polar said:

You could always apply to be an NIH postbac, it's an excellent opportunity!

6 minutes ago, schaffercolls said:

Honestly start with contingencies now. Even RA/Tech jobs are far and few between, and it gets more selective depending on what kind of research you're looking into, so it will be some time before these efforts produce results. Additionally, if you're in undergrad until May/June, you have time to confirm your position (whether you get into grad school, or get a tech position, etc.). Don't wait until March, because that is when everyone is thinking the same thing as you are.

Thanks a lot! 

I've heard NIH postbac is a very good choice, but probably I won't apply for that (for personal reasons). But still many thanks!

20 minutes ago, schaffercolls said:

Do you think it would be helpful after all of this to post openings for tech positions, etc. For example if I get in to grad school, my tech position will open up and I would love to be able to help out as much as I can.

1 hour ago, Kendra Case said:

Do you think it would be helpful after all of this to post openings for tech positions, etc. For example if I get in to grad school, my tech position will open up and I would love to be able to help out as much as I can.

I don't know. Aside from the timing issue (people looking for tech positions probably starting May-June, and leaving techs vacating their positions in August-September), I don't see why not.

13 hours ago, mabelgoestophd said:

Same situation. Also, international. I have seen that people apply to RA Jobs in US on J-1 visa in this thread but after googling I got the idea that few employers would hire people on J-1 cause it's a long process or something. How are you planning on getting RA position? I feel that's the only of getting experience that would be significant for a phd consideration. 

I’m on a J1 and it wasn’t really a long process. If it’s a university you’re applying to, they have HR that does the process and the PI doesn’t have to bother with it at all.