DrPH Applicants Fall 2020

Akd

Hello, 

I went through the DrPH 2019 thread and I found it quite informative. I will be applying for DrPH in Fall 2020 and thought to open this forum so others who will also be applying can join in. 

Looking forward to connecting to the others interested in this program. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 12:47 PM, Akd said:

Hello, 

I went through the DrPH 2019 thread and I found it quite informative. I will be applying for DrPH in Fall 2020 and thought to open this forum so others who will also be applying can join in. 

Looking forward to connecting to the others interested in this program. 

Thanks for starting this cycle's thread! Which programs are you interested in?

I just started on my GRE study schedule. I took it years ago, but at this point I can't remember any of the math. Seriously, nothing makes me feel more stupid than studying for that test!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I am happy to see this thread here and I hope it continues on. I am applying to the University of South Florida for Fall 2020, however the application just opened up and the deadline is Nov 15, 2019. I am applying to the DrPH program with a concentration in Advanced Practice Leadership in Public Health. I already sent in my transcripts to the application site SOPHAS, and I am getting ready to ask for my letters of recommendation!

On 8/21/2019 at 1:54 PM, Ashdacat said:

Hello everyone! I am happy to see this thread here and I hope it continues on. I am applying to the University of South Florida for Fall 2020, however the application just opened up and the deadline is Nov 15, 2019. I am applying to the DrPH program with a concentration in Advanced Practice Leadership in Public Health. I already sent in my transcripts to the application site SOPHAS, and I am getting ready to ask for my letters of recommendation!

I used to work in the COPH at USF. Good luck! Is that the only program you plan on applying to? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, happy to see a thread has started for this application cycle. I'm applying for PhD in Healthcare Management and policy. I was half way through the process of applying last year but then changed my mind so here I am planning on taking the plunge this year hopefully it works out. Already have my list of schools but need to look over it again , take the GRE and start the application process.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, Baylis said:

I used to work in the COPH at USF. Good luck! Is that the only program you plan on applying to? 

Thank you for the luck! I appreciate it. I just signed up for the COPH info session on Sep 30. It is the only program I am applying to. I currently work at Moffitt Cancer Center on the USF campus so it would be easy for me to attend the on-campus sessions if I got accepted at USF. :)

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:21 AM, SAHH said:

Hello, happy to see a thread has started for this application cycle. I'm applying for PhD in Healthcare Management and policy. I was half way through the process of applying last year but then changed my mind so here I am planning on taking the plunge this year hopefully it works out. Already have my list of schools but need to look over it again , take the GRE and start the application process.

I wish you the best of luck! What schools are you planning on applying to?

21 hours ago, Ashdacat said:

I wish you the best of luck! What schools are you planning on applying to?

Thank you , same to you.  I'm planning to apply to at least 7 schools still haven't finalized it yet but here is is the unofficial list.

1. UC-Berkley
  2. UNC
  3. Drexel University
  4. University of Washington
  5. University of Michigan

1 hour ago, SAHH said:

Thank you , same to you.  I'm planning to apply to at least 7 schools still haven't finalized it yet but here is is the unofficial list.

1. UC-Berkley
  2. UNC
  3. Drexel University
  4. University of Washington
  5. University of Michigan

Thanks so much! Wow-those are impressive schools. You're going to do great! I have to write a detailed statement of purpose and a personal statement for USF. I am struggling. Writing papers is so easy for me but I think I am over-thinking writing both of these!!

On 9/24/2019 at 5:55 PM, Ashdacat said:

Thanks so much! Wow-those are impressive schools. You're going to do great! I have to write a detailed statement of purpose and a personal statement for USF. I am struggling. Writing papers is so easy for me but I think I am over-thinking writing both of these!!

Well I hope so. Ya it sucks when you have to write about yourself and you're right we do tend to overthink it, good luck though !!

Is anyone trying to do a part-time program? I'd like to do a part-time distance program, but that is really limiting and funding is an issue. So far I only have Hopkins and LSHTM on my list. The other part-time programs don't have a good faculty match for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 11:55 AM, Future DrPH said:

Hello all...I'm a current student in the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health DrPH program and am happy to answer questions you may have as you go through the application and selection process.

Hi! Nice to meet you. Congrats on getting into UNC!

Like I stated above, I don't know why I am having such a hard time writing my personal statement. I think it's because it has to be about me and I am freaking out about it. Any recommendations to make the writing process easier? I truly want to stand out. Thank you :)

On 10/11/2019 at 1:29 PM, Ashdacat said:

Hi! Nice to meet you. Congrats on getting into UNC!

Like I stated above, I don't know why I am having such a hard time writing my personal statement. I think it's because it has to be about me and I am freaking out about it. Any recommendations to make the writing process easier? I truly want to stand out. Thank you :)

Hi Ash...just let your statement of purpose flow from your motivations and interests.  It should explain your desire to pursue a doctorate, as well as what your research interests might be (if you have an area of study that you can clearly articulate).  My best advice is to be genuine and not write to impress...these are read by faculty members who can tell the difference!

Good luck with your writing.

Hello everyone! Thanks for opening this topic. I'm also applying for 2020 fall DrPH. Just completed GRE and TOEFL as English is my second language.

My list is simple:

1. Johns Hopkins

2. Harvard

To me, JHU would be ideal as it allows part-time so I don't have to relocate (currently working in Asia and love my job). Harvard provides wide scope of exchange and networking opportunities, so it's attractive as well. 

I started early in March, and now working on the final documents: Personal statement for each school, and update resumé. 

Looking forward to discussions with you guys and good luck to all of us! 

17 hours ago, Future DrPH said:

Hi Ash...just let your statement of purpose flow from your motivations and interests.  It should explain your desire to pursue a doctorate, as well as what your research interests might be (if you have an area of study that you can clearly articulate).  My best advice is to be genuine and not write to impress...these are read by faculty members who can tell the difference!

Good luck with your writing.

Thank you so much for your advice!

1 hour ago, liz2019drph said:

Hello everyone! Thanks for opening this topic. I'm also applying for 2020 fall DrPH. Just completed GRE and TOEFL as English is my second language.

My list is simple:

1. Johns Hopkins

2. Harvard

To me, JHU would be ideal as it allows part-time so I don't have to relocate (currently working in Asia and love my job). Harvard provides wide scope of exchange and networking opportunities, so it's attractive as well. 

I started early in March, and now working on the final documents: Personal statement for each school, and update resumé. 

Looking forward to discussions with you guys and good luck to all of us! 

Welcome to the thread. I wish you the best of luck with your applications-those are amazing schools. When are your deadlines?

On 10/17/2019 at 10:28 PM, Ashdacat said:

Welcome to the thread. I wish you the best of luck with your applications-those are amazing schools. When are your deadlines?

Thanks Ash - wish you best of luck as well! The deadline on SOPHAS is Dec.1 for both programs, but I plan to submit in around mid-November just to be safe. :)

Hi everyone! I'm applying to USF (Advanced Practice Leadership in Public Health), GW (Health Behavior), UIC, and JHU (Health Equity and Social Justice). I'm working to get my app in for USF since it's due on Nov 15. RE the personal statement, the best advice I got was to be authentic and write from the heart. That's what I did, so hopefully it works out. Good luck! 

On 10/21/2019 at 6:23 PM, ciara54 said:

Hi everyone! I'm applying to USF (Advanced Practice Leadership in Public Health), GW (Health Behavior), UIC, and JHU (Health Equity and Social Justice). I'm working to get my app in for USF since it's due on Nov 15. RE the personal statement, the best advice I got was to be authentic and write from the heart. That's what I did, so hopefully it works out. Good luck! 

Hi Ciara! I am applying to USF as well. I am waiting on 1 more LOR to be submitted and finishing up my personal statement. I am also applying to the Advanced Practice Leadership. I am so excited for you.

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad I found this thread! Does anyone know if there is a similar one for Fall 2020 PhDs?

I am applying to two DrPh programs- Boston University and Johns Hopkins. Both programs are part time and seem pretty flexible. Is anyone here attending any of these programs?

I am also working to apply to two PhD programs- Harvard and Hopkins. I've been told that the GRE quant score is pretty crucial part of the application for these schools. While my verbal score is at the  93rd percentile my quant score is at the 56th percentile. I don't have time to redo the exam and honestly don't want to. Do you think it is still worth applying?

A couple professors have replied favorably and encouraged me to apply, but I'm still not sure.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Good morning everyone. I am still waiting on one last letter of recommendation from a doctor that I work with (but I rarely see). My application is due on Nov 15. How far in advance should I send him a reminder? I was thinking of touching base with him on Nov 1, but don't want to seem pushy. Any advice?

Thank you!

On 10/25/2019 at 12:42 PM, DSB said:

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad I found this thread! Does anyone know if there is a similar one for Fall 2020 PhDs?

I am applying to two DrPh programs- Boston University and Johns Hopkins. Both programs are part time and seem pretty flexible. Is anyone here attending any of these programs?

I am also working to apply to two PhD programs- Harvard and Hopkins. I've been told that the GRE quant score is pretty crucial part of the application for these schools. While my verbal score is at the  93rd percentile my quant score is at the 56th percentile. I don't have time to redo the exam and honestly don't want to. Do you think it is still worth applying?

A couple professors have replied favorably and encouraged me to apply, but I'm still not sure.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Welcome to the thread :)

For the particular school I applied to (USF), the GRE is waived if you received a 3.5 GPA or higher for your master's degree. In my opinion, I still think you should apply. I know there are a lot of schools that will look at your application holistically. For example, my undergrad isn't the best, but I have a great gpa from grad school. I am assuming you have to write a paper? My advisor told me that shining in the personal statement is important-be genuine. I know USF stated that if you have a poor GRE, they will look at the entire application to see if you make up for it in other areas (volunteer, accomplishments, work history, etc...). I wish you the best of luck.