DrPH Applicants Fall 2020

Akd

On 2/12/2020 at 12:46 PM, ParttimeHopeful said:

Just found this thread today -- applied to 4 programs, I focused on ones that I could attend while retaining my full-time job. Current status:

UGA-- interview in 2 weeks

GSU-- interview next week

JHU-- application listed as under review, applied to custom track

UIC-- application listed as under review

Good luck to everyone! I hope we all receive good news in the coming weeks/month 

@ParttimeHopefulWhen did UGA contact you for your interview? Did they email or call? 

Edited by Drph

So I just had my interview with GW HPM. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, nor did I get a good sense of how they feel about me. But I wanted to report back that they plan to wrap up interviews early next week and send out decisions within the first two weeks of March. They will select 20 doctoral students across all departments, with 6 of those students in the HPM department.  

Hello all! After following this thread for about a month, I decided it was high time to join. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Anyone hear from GW DrPH Global Health for interviews? Or from JHU DrPH Implementation Science? (I know that the JHU DrPH program doesn't always interview, just curious). We're in the final weeks here; waiting with bated breath! 

Edited by LeMarie

7 minutes ago, LeMarie said:

Hello all! After following this thread for about a month, I decided it was high time to join. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Anyone hear from GW DrPH Global Health for interviews? Or from JHU DrPH Implementation Science? (I know that the JHU DrPH program doesn't always interview, just curious). We're in the final weeks here; waiting with bated breath! 

I am also waiting to hear from GW DrPH in Global Health. I heard through a friend that DrPH interview invites should be going out by next week, though this person couldn't comment specifically on the global health track. Between hearing that and @SrirachaC's post above, it sounds like we should at least know if we have an interview by the end of next week. If I hear anything I will be sure to let you know, and fingers crossed for us both!

1 minute ago, LauraBsms said:

I am also waiting to hear from GW DrPH in Global Health. I heard through a friend that DrPH interview invites should be going out by next week, though this person couldn't comment specifically on the global health track. Between hearing that and @SrirachaC's post above, it sounds like we should at least know if we have an interview by the end of next week. If I hear anything I will be sure to let you know, and fingers crossed for us both!

Thank you LauraBsms for the info! Good to at least have some time frame to work with here. 

I think those waiting to hear back from JHSPH DrPH program, it will probably be in "early March." That is what the website stated: "Communication of offers: Early March." I am trying to keep my anxiety levels down until March 2nd LOL. I never heard back regarding having an interview so I hope that isn't a bad thing ?. I was told interviews are offered on an ad hoc basis but that isn't an indication of anything. I read through the Fall 2018 and Fall 2019 thread and it looks like decisions were sent the second week of March. 

Good luck everyone!

45 minutes ago, clip123 said:

Has anyone heard from USF? I'm trying so hard to be patient!

I emailed USF this morning. They said decisions for the DrPH program are going to be released towards the beginning of March.  I haven't been able to get a clear answer on their interview policy and whether not receiving an interview request is indicative of a rejection.  The wait is killing me also.  I'm just ready to know either way. 

On 2/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, loumblair said:

So I got accepted into Georgia Southern and Penn State for their DrPH programs. Still waiting to hear back from Berkeley and University of Georgia. Anymore news on either of those for anyone who applied to them?

Congrats on your acceptances. I didn't apply to Berkeley nor UGA, but I saw on the results page a few acceptances for Berkeley around the end of January and an interview with UGA on Feb. 11 (not sure if this was you). 

1 hour ago, SrirachaC said:

I haven't been able to get a clear answer on their interview policy and whether not receiving an interview request is indicative of a rejection.

Just got confirmation from USF that the interview is the last step if you are being considered for admission. She couldn't confirm whether they were finished with the interview process though, which means there's still hope if you haven't heard anything yet. 

Had a phone interview with GW Global Health today. It sounds like the GH track isn't necessarily going to interview all candidates in person or via phone; at least that's the impression my interviewer gave today. Just a heads up that things are moving along and that decisions should be shared in the next few weeks. Thanks! @LauraBsms

Edited by LeMarie

4 minutes ago, LeMarie said:

Had a phone interview with GW Global Health today. It sounds like the GH track isn't necessarily going to interview all candidates in person or via phone; at least that's the impression my interviewer gave today. Just a heads up that things are moving along and that decisions should be shared in the next few weeks. Thanks! @LauraBsms

Thanks for sharing! Hope you hear some good news soon!

I received my first DrPH acceptance today! Heard back from Columbia Mailman that I was accepted to their DrPH program in Leadership in Global Health and Humanitarian Systems. Would love to connect to anyone else admitted to this program.

I am also interested in hearing from anyone weighing DrPH vs PhD programs. I am interested in leading implementation science research and I can see myself in either type of program. The professors who interviewed me also expressed the same sentiment. Another consideration is that I want to maintain a connection with the organization where I currently work. Would love to hear what others in a similar position are considering when weighing options. Thanks!

2 hours ago, PublicHealth2020grad said:

I received my first DrPH acceptance today! Heard back from Columbia Mailman that I was accepted to their DrPH program in Leadership in Global Health and Humanitarian Systems. Would love to connect to anyone else admitted to this program.

I am also interested in hearing from anyone weighing DrPH vs PhD programs. I am interested in leading implementation science research and I can see myself in either type of program. The professors who interviewed me also expressed the same sentiment. Another consideration is that I want to maintain a connection with the organization where I currently work. Would love to hear what others in a similar position are considering when weighing options. Thanks!

Hi.. Congratulations on getting accepted to such a prestigious university.. just wanted to know when did they interview you.. would also like to know about your academic background, work experience and publications status. I am hearing from many of my friends that publications is one of the most important factors.. just asking so that I can prepare myself for the next year.. thank you

2 hours ago, Aman_Ratta said:

Hi.. Congratulations on getting accepted to such a prestigious university.. just wanted to know when did they interview you.. would also like to know about your academic background, work experience and publications status. I am hearing from many of my friends that publications is one of the most important factors.. just asking so that I can prepare myself for the next year.. thank you

Hi and thanks for your kind words. They interviewed me two weeks ago. I have a bachelors in a social science and MPH from good but not top universities. Lower undergrad GPA and higher MPH GPA. My GRE scores were also good but not great. I have been working in research for 6 years full-time, so I do have an extensive publication record, with 8 publications, (no first-authored), 2 under review including 1 first-authored, 12+ conference abstracts of which 1/3 were first authored. I think I have more publications/conferences than a typical admit though, so don't let my numbers discourage you. Also this particular program also seems to value demonstrated leadership, and I have been fortunate to have a great boss over the past 2 years who gave me opportunities to lead our work. That was the most motivating factor for me when deciding to apply to this program. I would be happy to chat more if you want to direct message me. Best of luck to you on your applications.

9 hours ago, PublicHealth2020grad said:

Hi and thanks for your kind words. They interviewed me two weeks ago. I have a bachelors in a social science and MPH from good but not top universities. Lower undergrad GPA and higher MPH GPA. My GRE scores were also good but not great. I have been working in research for 6 years full-time, so I do have an extensive publication record, with 8 publications, (no first-authored), 2 under review including 1 first-authored, 12+ conference abstracts of which 1/3 were first authored. I think I have more publications/conferences than a typical admit though, so don't let my numbers discourage you. Also this particular program also seems to value demonstrated leadership, and I have been fortunate to have a great boss over the past 2 years who gave me opportunities to lead our work. That was the most motivating factor for me when deciding to apply to this program. I would be happy to chat more if you want to direct message me. Best of luck to you on your applications.

Thanks for the elaborate reply. That's really helpful. Sure I ll need more insights on application process. Please let me know how do I apporach you for direct messaging.

@drph2020

I called Admissions this morning to ask which week decisions will be sent out and the lady said the first week of March. I do not want to get your hopes up but this is what was communicated to me. But like you I looked through the threads and the second week seemed to be when they send things out. 

Good luck to everyone. The wait is almost over! ?

3 hours ago, HealthConsultant09 said:

@drph2020

I called Admissions this morning to ask which week decisions will be sent out and the lady said the first week of March. I do not want to get your hopes up but this is what was communicated to me. But like you I looked through the threads and the second week seemed to be when they send things out. 

Good luck to everyone. The wait is almost over! ?

thank you for calling and for the update!