DrPH Applicants Fall 2020

Akd

Thanks for the info @HealthPolicyMgmtPhD! It looks like  HPM is moving a little faster than JHU's other departments. They've already sent out quite a few decisions for PhD applicants. I hope this means HPM DrPH applicants will hear back soon as well. Fingers crossed that you hear good news on both of your apps!  

Welcome @AlphacentauriC  Don't feel bad about choosing the 100 K+ job over a doctoral degree, especially since the return on investment with a doctoral degree isn't that great. I think you made the right choice. Once you graduate and start looking for work, employers will, at a minimum, match your current salary. Whereas other PhDs are low-balled because of their lack of work experience.   

Congrats @RubyTue . Like my mother-in-law always says, “ you have nothing to lose by throwing your hat in the ring.” Plus, we’re so hard on ourselves. We don’t always see the greatness that others see in us.  Also, if I’m not mistaken, JHU PhDs are always offered full funding, so you should be good on that front. I know you’ll knock the interview out of the park. They appreciate authenticity so “plain old, honest, you” is the best way to go! 

@ciara54 yeah, they did talk about full funding at the open house I went to. Even so, it does not include a stipend (some programs, like biostats, do). And it’ll take a lot of guts if I do it. I’m a middle aged high earner right now.  So it would be opportunity cost of n years of no income. Luckily, it does include health insurance. I might be able to shift to part time work, we shall see. 

On another-related front, it looks like I was pegged for something really cool, but completely unrelated to my 18 years of work. Professionally, I am a perfect fit for the injury prevention center, but the interview is with someone completely different. Much more related to the single paragraph I wrote about cancer research. I can talk injury prevention all day, but cancer research is a personal interest that I have no academic or professional background in. Just a very personal connection. Like I took my GRE in the middle of treatment. 

@rubytue - best of luck! Hope you nail the interview!

Anyone else heard back from JHU DrPH? I haven't received any notice yet. The latest correspondence was confirmation of application under review. I felt PhD programs conduct interviews much more than DrPH in JHU, is this the case? 

@liz2019drph Nothing yet from JHU. Yeah, I assume the PhD program requires interviews because of funding and the need to ensure the right faculty/departmental fit with the limited funds/slots they have.  Whereas DrPH applicants are part-time and usually fund the degree externally. For us, they want competitive DrPH applicants period (without the emphasis on faculty/departmental fit). I assume they can determine this (most of the time) just by reviewing the apps.  But during the webinar, they said that interviews for DrPH applicants are conducted on an ad hoc basis.  Quite a few folks from last year were accepted without an interview. 

@RubyTue I understand. Part of me would love to attend a program full-time and in-person, but the struggle of being a broke student is still fresh for me. But if it's your dream, go for it!  While money is nice to have, it isn't everything. Plus, it sounds like they have a cool project lined up for you that would make the experience that much more worthwhile.

I also applied to JHSPH DrPH program in health policy and management program. I called the school a few weeks ago and they stated that decisions will be sent out early March because the review process for the DrPH is extensive. You are first reviewed by the department you applied to then school-wide. Brenda Hendrick explained that the review process is two tier. She also mentioned getting an interview or not getting an interview does not mean you would not get in but she did not explain who gets interviews and who doesn't. I have been checking my application status everyday like a mad person because I only applied to one school and one program. ?

Best of luck to everyone!

On 1/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, LauraBsms said:

I haven't. It's odd because looking at results from previous years people reported having interviews around this time, but there are no results posted for 2019 so I am not sure if that is still accurate. I will be sure to let you know if I do hear. Fingers crossed for us both!

Still nothing right? I'm dying :(

10 minutes ago, MJDRPH said:

Still nothing right? I'm dying :(

Nope, I actually saw the notification that you responded and was hoping maybe you heard some good news. ? If we don't hear by the 14th I may reach out... I have to decide if I am resigning my lease by the end of this month; just a little added time crunch! 

hi - I applied to the drph at johns hopkins for summer 2020 as well as the bloomberg fellowship. also anxiously waiting and haven't heard anything since i received an email saying my application was sent for review in december. i was planning on applying to more schools but life got crazy so we will see what happens with this eggs in one basket approach! best of luck to you all. 

Well, I called GW to fish for info on interviews but the admissions rep wasn't very helpful.  Was trying to get a sense of when interviews would be offered and if not being offered an interview is a sign that you will get a rejection.  She said they just started the process for offering interviews, and an interview is not guaranteed, which kind of answered my question, but not really. Sighs...... the wait continues. 

Congrats @BM_DrPH on your acceptances and good luck on the interview with Colorado! Please keep us posted on how everything goes.  

20 hours ago, drph2020 said:

hi - I applied to the drph at johns hopkins for summer 2020 as well as the bloomberg fellowship. also anxiously waiting and haven't heard anything since i received an email saying my application was sent for review in december. i was planning on applying to more schools but life got crazy so we will see what happens with this eggs in one basket approach! best of luck to you all. 

Hi there! I also only applied to JHU DrPH. Can I check if the portal for reviewing status is "[name].goapp.ly/jhsph/landing"? There is only one section named "checklist for application" which requires password for login, the rest are pretty generic. I'm asking because I was asked by JHU to fill in potential supervisors name in early December, and I've been told results will be out in early March, but I was not told which portal to check for results so basically I assumed this is the one. :)

Edited by liz2019drph

3 hours ago, liz2019drph said:

Hi there! I also only applied to JHU DrPH. Can I check if the portal for reviewing status is "[name].goapp.ly/jhsph/landing"? There is only one section named "checklist for application" which requires password for login, the rest are pretty generic. I'm asking because I was asked by JHU to fill in potential supervisors name in early December, and I've been told results will be out in early March, but I was not told which portal to check for results so basically I assumed this is the one. :)

Yup that's the one!

On 2/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, BM_DrPH said:

I learned that I was accepted to the DrPH programs at UC Berkeley and Tulane SPHTM this week and was asked to interview with Colorado SPH.  Still anxiously awaiting for any information from GW and BU! 

Congrats! Did CSPH email you for the interview? When did you submit your application?

On 2/7/2020 at 9:14 AM, PublicHealth2020grad said:

Yup that's the one!

Yes - agree. i also received the link about potential faculty back in december and no longer see it. i just have the landing page with the checklist for application link on the left that requires my password. 

Just found this thread today -- applied to 4 programs, I focused on ones that I could attend while retaining my full-time job. Current status:

UGA-- interview in 2 weeks

GSU-- interview next week

JHU-- application listed as under review, applied to custom track

UIC-- application listed as under review

Good luck to everyone! I hope we all receive good news in the coming weeks/month 

1 hour ago, SrirachaC said:

Welcome @ParttimeHopeful and good luck! 

Anyone else having trouble with the JHU portal today? I checked mine and the "checklist for application" section is missing as well as any references to the DrPH program. My name still shows up though. 

I went in there earlier to check my status and things were working fine

Thanks for checking @ParttimeHopeful! I called JHU to see if something was wrong, and they said everything was normal on their end. I guess it's just a glitch. The Admission Rep also said that decisions for the DrPH program would come out late February or early March, so we may find out sooner than expected!

I also just received an interview request from UIC, so all of you UIC applicants keep a look out.

Hang in there everyone. We're almost to the finish line. 

Edited by SrirachaC