DrPH Applicants Fall 2020

Akd

I've been wait listed but hoping and praying as this is the only school I applied to and want to attend. What are the chances of getting in on a waitlist? 

1 hour ago, HealthConsultant09 said:

It was a no for me as well but Congrats to everyone on their acceptance into Hopkins. 

Same, no for me but congrats to everyone else who got in. Until next year... :) 

16 hours ago, HospExecDrPH said:

16 hours ago, HospExecDrPH said:

I was rejected. To say I'm bummed is an understatement. The Hopkins program is so specific to my interests that I was dying to get in and fairly confident of my odds. I foolishly had planned on it. I'm already at a very advanced position, had solid GREs, and I thought a strong essay. I applied for the leadership track.

@jace_PH @PublicHealth2020 @PublicHealth2020grad @2020epi @LeMarie Do you mind sharing thoughts on your success? Were your quant GREs high? I had super high verbal but settled for quant in the 60s because they said 50 was good. Maybe I should have worked more on that, but who knows.

I'm debating if I wait and take another run at Hopkins next year or go with another program.

Congrats to all who got accepted! 

On 3/4/2020 at 2:07 AM, DrPH2025 said:

I was rejected. To say I'm bummed is an understatement. The Hopkins program is so specific to my interests that I was dying to get in and fairly confident of my odds. I foolishly had planned on it. I'm already at a very advanced position, had solid GREs, and I thought a strong essay. I applied for the leadership track.

@jace_PH @PublicHealth2020 @PublicHealth2020grad @2020epi @LeMarie Do you mind sharing thoughts on your success? Were your quant GREs high? I had super high verbal but settled for quant in the 60s because they said 50 was good. Maybe I should have worked more on that, but who knows.

I'm debating if I wait and take another run at Hopkins next year or go with another program.

I’m so sorry! I would definitely go for it again next year. I had verbal 94th percentile, quant 73rd percentile, and writing 92nd percentile. MPH GPA 4.0. When I was preparing my application, I reached out to and had calls with a number of professors and current students to get a better feel for the program and discuss their work and my work/interests, and I think this really helped strengthen my personal statement. 

On 2/12/2020 at 12:46 PM, ParttimeHopeful said:

Just found this thread today -- applied to 4 programs, I focused on ones that I could attend while retaining my full-time job. Current status:

UGA-- interview in 2 weeks

GSU-- interview next week

JHU-- application listed as under review, applied to custom track

UIC-- application listed as under review

Good luck to everyone! I hope we all receive good news in the coming weeks/month 

Hey @ParttimeHopeful. I may have missed this in the thread, but did you hear back from UGA?

Edited by Yomi89

11 hours ago, ConfusedDrPH said:

I guess I am really confused, but how/where do we see the results for JHSP at?

Thank you land congratulations to all who made it, for rest of us , best of luck!

@ConfusedDrPH

https://[yourfirstnamelastname].goapp.ly/jhsph/checklist_for_application

Replace the first part with your name.

Did anyone apply to UTHealth DrPH? The program allows you to choose a campus and for some programs you can choose Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc for the same program. The Management/Policy program is just in Houston but the other one is all over. Does anyone know the difference or if it matters which campus you attend?

58 minutes ago, 2020epi said:

I’m so sorry! I would definitely go for it again next year. I had verbal 94th percentile, quant 73rd percentile, and writing 92nd percentile. MPH GPA 4.0. When I was preparing my application, I reached out to and had calls with a number of professors and current students to get a better feel for the program and discuss their work and my work/interests, and I think this really helped strengthen my personal statement. 

Thanks @2020epi! My GRE was 96% verbal 98% writing but 60s in quant. I should have kept studying and tried again but I felt it was "good enough." My GPA was solid for grad but not 4.0. I did try to reach out to potential professors for partnerships but was met with the suggestion of talking AFTER I was selected. I think there is a solid chance that my chosen professor didn't feel I was a match or doesn't have bandwidth and since I had a very specific interest they rejected me. But who knows. Hopefully I'll get feedback.

In the forums last year a few of Hopkins folks said they were rejected on their first attempt and accepted on their second.

5 hours ago, DrPH2025 said:

Mike

Hi @DrPH2025/Mike,

I am sorry to hear your situation.

To respond to your post, I am an international applicant from the Philippines with qualifications of BSc Nursing and MD (PHL), MBA (regional asian school), dual MPH and MHM (AUS). I finished with latin honors and my translated MPH/MHM GPA is 4.0. GRE is average - verbal 85s, quant and writing of 65s. TOEFL of 114/120. In terms of research, I only have one co-authored paper plus some technical reports for bilateral/multilateral agencies. In terms of experience, I do have 6 years of cumulative progressive public health experience especially focusing on various implementation science components in the last 1.5 years. I lead and co-founded two firms - an NGO focusing on community healh innovations with a strong implementation science M&E framework and the first Health Technology Assessment (HTA) firm in our country to respond to the big need posed by our new UHC law. I am/was also very active in public health leadership and advocacy in PHL, AUS, and developing Southeast Asia. I feel like my leadership experiences were key for my acceptance. Furthermore, I also discussed my potential implementation science dissertation topic (and the subjects in the curriculum that would help me do it) in the context of my current work engagements.

Don’t lose hope! There’s a beauty in applying the second time around. Based on previous forums, people got in after reapplying. Stay positive and build your experience. Always remember that they assess our applications holistically. All the best!

Cheers,

Jace

Edited by jace_PH

12 hours ago, DrPH2025 said:

Mike

Hi - I was also accepted! health equity and social justice track. no word about the bloomberg fellowship yet. 

I'm sorry things didn't pan out for you DrPH2025. here's my info in case it is helpful - 93% verbal, 62% quantitative, 92% writing, 3.6 gpa undergrad, 4.0 gpa mph epi (ivy), 8 years research in high need area, 18 publications, i think 3 are first-author. I'll cross my fingers for you that you will be accepted if you decide to reapply. all the best!

@DrPH2025 I'd say to give it another go next year! And perhaps reach out to admissions with questions about how you might strengthen your application. For what it's worth, my GRE quant scores were also not astronomically high,  similar to yours. I'd say that to make up for that, I really focused on making my personal statement as strong as possible by spending lots of time networking with people in the field both at Hopkins and within my current institution. Best of luck to you! 

14 hours ago, DrPH2025 said:

@DrPH2025 I'm sorry to hear this : / FWIW, I know the program had a large increase in the number of applications this year. 

Quoting where I answered a similar question (but about a different program).

On 2/26/2020 at 9:55 PM, PublicHealth2020grad said:

Hi and thanks for your kind words. They interviewed me two weeks ago. I have a bachelors in a social science and MPH from good but not top universities. Lower undergrad GPA and higher MPH GPA. My GRE scores were also good but not great. I have been working in research for 6 years full-time, so I do have an extensive publication record, with 8 publications, (no first-authored), 2 under review including 1 first-authored, 12+ conference abstracts of which 1/3 were first authored. I think I have more publications/conferences than a typical admit though, so don't let my numbers discourage you. Also this particular program also seems to value demonstrated leadership, and I have been fortunate to have a great boss over the past 2 years who gave me opportunities to lead our work. That was the most motivating factor for me when deciding to apply to this program. I would be happy to chat more if you want to direct message me. Best of luck to you on your applications.

My quant GRE was not good - lower than yours - I considered retaking until I heard that anything above 50th pctile would be fine for this program. Though I have worked in research / data analysis for multiple years so I knew my quant skillset would be well represented on my application. For JHSPH I will say that I have both personal and professional connections to the school and through those relationships I have come to understand the mentality of the school and what they might be looking for. I prepared my application with this in mind.

All the best to you in your decision. Happy to help further if you want to reach out via direct message.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:06 PM, Inf_emgPH said:

Thanks for the response. Did you request GRE waiver after being accepted  or after applying to the program? Also, did you have to pay a supplemental fee to GSU? 

No problem at all! I requested the waiver before applying to the program. I sent it to the program director of the leadership concentration, and then he forwarded the letter to the director of the college of graduate studies. Once I heard the waiver was approved, I officially submitted my app in SOPHAS. They followed up with an interview a few days later.  I don't recall paying a supplemental fee

17 hours ago, SrirachaC said:

No problem at all! I requested the waiver before applying to the program. I sent it to the program director of the leadership concentration, and then he forwarded the letter to the director of the college of graduate studies. Once I heard the waiver was approved, I officially submitted my app in SOPHAS. They followed up with an interview a few days later.  I don't recall paying a supplemental fee

Thanks for taking your time to respond my queries. Is it ok for me to pm you in future if needed? I am still waiting for my 1st acceptance. Good thing is I only have 3 more schools left to hear from now. 

Edited by Inf_emgPH