DrPH Applicants Fall 2020

Akd

I just received notice that I was accepted to Georgia State University's DrPH program! This is my first acceptance so I'm feeling a huge sense of relief and excitement. Now to start figuring out how to actually balance working full-time and getting a doctorate part-time while raising a family ? 

22 hours ago, SrirachaC said:

USF reached out this morning to schedule an interview for.......tomorrow. Yikes!  Not sure if all interviews are tomorrow, but they sent 8 time slots and asked me to select my top 3.  

How did it go? What did they ask? Did they give you any idea of when they'd be sending out notice? I haven't heard anything from them in regards to an interview, so hoping that's not a bad sign ?

Hello! I'm new and just wanted to post and join the conversation.

I applied to the Hopkins DrPH and Bloomberg Fellowship. Very eager to hear about this one as it is my top choice and is very specifically tailored to my work. I haven't heard anything on this yet. Like everyone the waiting is dominating my thoughts despite my attempts to meditate, remember I can't control it, etc. It's not working :). Glad I'm not alone at least.

Also applied to the UNC DrPH and am a finalist. I had an interview and honestly don't feel it went very well. It was more like a standard job interview than I expected. The lag on Skype causes jokes and body language to get lost in communication. Hopefully they see it differently and felt it was good.  It's a great program and I may choose UNC based on the executive model with a cohort. I like that Hopkins is self paced but I can see a lot of benefits in the lockstep cohort model.

I also applied to UIC. No word from them.

It would be great to hear back from Hopkins this week but I'm betting on next week like the past years.

Does anyone know when UNC decisions come out?

Good luck can to everyone!

On 2/28/2020 at 4:02 PM, DrPH Hopeful said:

How did it go? What did they ask? Did they give you any idea of when they'd be sending out notice? I haven't heard anything from them in regards to an interview, so hoping that's not a bad sign ?

I think it went well, though you never know.  I spoke with the director and academic coordinator, who were both friendly.  The asked me to talk about my public health experience, my current job, why USF, and what I was hoping to gain from a DrPH. 

They are still interviewing folks, so don’t lose hope!  They sent the request a day before my actual interview, which means anything could happen this week.  They plan to wrap-up by the end of the first week of March and send decisions out the 2nd week of March.  They are selecting 16-17 applicants for the leadership concentration and 3-4 applicants for the clinical lab concentration.  

On 2/29/2020 at 11:55 PM, DrPH2025 said:

Hello! I'm new and just wanted to post and join the conversation.

I applied to the Hopkins DrPH and Bloomberg Fellowship. Very eager to hear about this one as it is my top choice and is very specifically tailored to my work. I haven't heard anything on this yet. Like everyone the waiting is dominating my thoughts despite my attempts to meditate, remember I can't control it, etc. It's not working :). Glad I'm not alone at least.

Also applied to the UNC DrPH and am a finalist. I had an interview and honestly don't feel it went very well. It was more like a standard job interview than I expected. The lag on Skype causes jokes and body language to get lost in communication. Hopefully they see it differently and felt it was good.  It's a great program and I may choose UNC based on the executive model with a cohort. I like that Hopkins is self paced but I can see a lot of benefits in the lockstep cohort model.

I also applied to UIC. No word from them.

It would be great to hear back from Hopkins this week but I'm betting on next week like the past years.

Does anyone know when UNC decisions come out?

Good luck can to everyone!

Here's to hoping we both get into Hopkins AND get the Bloomberg!! Fingers crossed!!

Hello,

I think I have seen couple people being accepted to Georgia Southern University DrPH program. To those, did you get GRE waiver having MPH from US? Also, did you get DrPH prerequisites waiver (for core MPH courses)? TIA for your feedback.

Edited by Inf_emgPH

@Inf_emgPH I was accepted to Georgia Southern's DrPH Program. They gave me a GRE waiver for my public health experience and not necessarily my academic background.  I have a Masters in Social Work, but all of my work experience is/was in public health. I had to formally request the waiver through a letter to the admissions board.   I haven't heard anything about whether I need to take any of the core MPH courses. But I imagine, if I commit to the program, my academic advisor will flag any prerequisites I need to take.  

5 hours ago, SrirachaC said:

@Inf_emgPH I was accepted to Georgia Southern's DrPH Program. They gave me a GRE waiver for my public health experience and not necessarily my academic background.  I have a Masters in Social Work, but all of my work experience is/was in public health. I had to formally request the waiver through a letter to the admissions board.   I haven't heard anything about whether I need to take any of the core MPH courses. But I imagine, if I commit to the program, my academic advisor will flag any prerequisites I need to take.  

Thanks for the response. Did you request GRE waiver after being accepted  or after applying to the program? Also, did you have to pay a supplemental fee to GSU? 

@HealthConsultant09 are you basing that Hopkins timing on previous years or have they indicated decisions are coming soon? Like you I'm eager to hear, but thinking it will be next week. It's not preventing me from checking multiple times a day though.. I wish I could relax a bit and let it comes when it comes..

UNC had a 50% increase in applications this year, which of probably an indication that all DrPH programs had many more applicants.

@DrPH2025 I spoke to Angelica Watts who is the Program Coordinator over the DrPH program. She said  admission decisions will start this week and go into next week. Not sure what that means but maybe they will be rolling out decisions slowly. I have very high anxiety over this because I just applied to one program. I was trying to find a way to not check the portal every few minutes but it didn’t help ?.

In addition, I did look through older forums on here and it has been the second week of March so I would assume this year wouldn’t be any different. 

40 minutes ago, HealthConsultant09 said:

@DrPH2025 I spoke to Angelica Watts who is the Program Coordinator over the DrPH program. She said  admission decisions will start this week and go into next week. Not sure what that means but maybe they will be rolling out decisions slowly. I have very high anxiety over this because I just applied to one program. I was trying to find a way to not check the portal every few minutes but it didn’t help ?.

In addition, I did look through older forums on here and it has been the second week of March so I would assume this year wouldn’t be any different. 

@HealthConsultant09 my guess is that means they are making decisions internally this week but notifications will probably arrive afterwards. I guess next week. 

26 minutes ago, DrPH2025 said:

@HealthConsultant09 my guess is that means they are making decisions internally this week but notifications will probably arrive afterwards. I guess next week. 

or that the decisions have been made but they have to update each portal individually so it will just take time to get through all of them, which would also make sense if they've had more applications than usual

Just now, SrirachaC said:

@jace_PH Congrats!!! Did they send an email or did you just randomly check the portal? Mines hasn't updated yet, grated I applied to the health policy track. 

Thanks @SrirachaC !

I have been randomly updating the portal. I last checked an hour ago and I just saw this in the last 15 minutes. It has been keeping me awake. I am based in Manila, the Philippines and it is past 3AM. -.-