DrPH Applicants Fall 2020

Akd

11 hours ago, Drph said:

Thanks for the updates. Got the email acceptance from Hopkins today. Did anyone hear anything from Bloomberg or other scholarship/funding info? 

@ParttimeHopeful how long was your uga interview and what types of questions did they ask? 

@Drph The time slots were an hour but the interview lasted about 40 minutes which I believe was intentional as there was another person waiting to go in on the following hour. Questions were mostly straightforward, they asked about my career and goals, why I wanted to attend UGA and then I received one slightly curve ball question that was more like a job interview than a school interview (what would you say to X stakeholder who disagreed with a policy or idea your organization has). Are you interviewing with UGA as well? 

13 hours ago, Drph said:

Thanks for the updates. Got the email acceptance from Hopkins today. Did anyone hear anything from Bloomberg or other scholarship/funding info? 

@ParttimeHopeful how long was your uga interview and what types of questions did they ask? 

Just heard that I did not get the Bloomberg fellowship.

Thanks! @ParttimeHopeful I did interview with UGA this week. About the same questions and timeframe, though no curveball like that.  Fingers crossed... 

@2020epi bummer re:Bloomberg! Do you think you’ll still attend Hopkins? I love the Hopkins program so much but just can’t figure out how to justify the cost of it (no employer support programs). I didn’t  apply to Bloomberg fellowship as it wasn’t really relevant to my field/topics but just desperate for some scholarship/help with funding. Relative to some other programs it’s just hella expensive and not sure I can justify the extra expense. 

1 hour ago, Drph said:

Thanks! @ParttimeHopeful I did interview with UGA this week. About the same questions and timeframe, though no curveball like that.  Fingers crossed... 

@2020epi bummer re:Bloomberg! Do you think you’ll still attend Hopkins? I love the Hopkins program so much but just can’t figure out how to justify the cost of it (no employer support programs). I didn’t  apply to Bloomberg fellowship as it wasn’t really relevant to my field/topics but just desperate for some scholarship/help with funding. Relative to some other programs it’s just hella expensive and not sure I can justify the extra expense. 

I’m not sure! I’m so bummed about Bloomberg but not shocked because it was a bit of a stretch to make my work fit within one of the focus areas. I’m deciding between Hopkins DrPH and a PhD at a less prestigious program. I plan to keep working full time, so i will be paying per credit at both programs. The PhD would be about half the cost. Ideally I’d love to do Hopkins but not sure I can justify the cost either. What are you deciding between?

52 minutes ago, 2020epi said:

I got an email from the Bloomberg program.

thanks for your response. Still waiting on notification about it. It would certainly be an expensive program without it

10 hours ago, Inf_emgPH said:

Thanks for taking your time to respond my queries. Is it ok for me to pm you in future if needed? I am still waiting for my 1st acceptance. Good thing is I only have 3 more schools left to hear from now. 

Of course! Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions. 

3 hours ago, PubHealth2020 said:

Has anyone heard back from BU or GW (policy) after interviewing? 

I called GW not too long ago, and the answer I got was soon. That's it......just soon. No intel whatsoever. So I hope that means tomorrow. But during the interview, they said no later than the 2nd week of March.  

1 hour ago, SrirachaC said:

I called GW not too long ago, and the answer I got was soon. That's it......just soon. No intel whatsoever. So I hope that means tomorrow. But during the interview, they said no later than the 2nd week of March.  

Thanks for the info! During my interview two weeks ago they said they would be done interviewing applicants last Friday and would send out notifications this week. Hopefully we hear tomorrow! Sending everyone good vibes! 

How many people have gotten an interview for USF? I didn't get one, but I was told that didn't necessarily 100% mean that I might not get in. I thought I had a strong application, but now I'm starting to doubt myself, especially knowing how few candidates they take. When I spoke to the admissions counselor right after the application deadline, they said this was the largest application pool they've ever received. I emailed them and they said decisions would be sent out the second week of March. I'm literally checking my email on an hourly basis waiting for news. Next week is going to be a nail biter for sure!!!

19 hours ago, PubHealth2020 said:

Thanks for the info! During my interview two weeks ago they said they would be done interviewing applicants last Friday and would send out notifications this week. Hopefully we hear tomorrow! Sending everyone good vibes! 

I hope they let us know today! GW is the last program I'm waiting to hear from. I was accepted to UIC, and they gave a deadline of March 16 to accept/decline.  I would at least like to have next week to figure things out and make a firm decision. 

By the way, how'd your interview with GW go? Compared to my other interviews, the vibe was a little off with this one.  I don't think it was a bad interview, but I don't feel like I connected in the same way as I did with other interviewers. Of course, it could've been all in my head, and it was a rough day at work.  

14 minutes ago, SrirachaC said:

I hope they let us know today! GW is the last program I'm waiting to hear from. I was accepted to UIC, and they gave a deadline of March 16 to accept/decline.  I would at least like to have next week to figure things out and make a firm decision. 

By the way, how'd your interview with GW go? Compared to my other interviews, the vibe was a little off with this one.  I don't think it was a bad interview, but I don't feel like I connected in the same way as I did with other interviewers. Of course, it could've been all in my head, and it was a rough day at work.  

Congrats! When did you hear from UIC? It seems early for them compared to previous years. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Anyone else still waiting on UNC?

26 minutes ago, DrPH2025 said:

Congrats! When did you hear from UIC? It seems early for them compared to previous years.

Agreed, it is early! They sent the email around noon today, and I was shocked because I wasn't expecting a decision until late March. 

5 minutes ago, SrirachaC said:

Agreed, it is early! They sent the email around noon today, and I was shocked because I wasn't expecting a decision until late March. 

I bet you are a rock star and that's why you got the early acceptance. They didn't give you much time to decide so that they can send out more acceptances based on your response.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:26 PM, 2020epi said:

I’m not sure! I’m so bummed about Bloomberg but not shocked because it was a bit of a stretch to make my work fit within one of the focus areas. I’m deciding between Hopkins DrPH and a PhD at a less prestigious program. I plan to keep working full time, so i will be paying per credit at both programs. The PhD would be about half the cost. Ideally I’d love to do Hopkins but not sure I can justify the cost either. What are you deciding between?

@2020epi - I am in the same boat! I am trying to decide between the Hopkins DrPH and a PhD at a less prestigious program. I plan to stay full-time at work too, but the PhD is giving tuition support if I can give between 10-20 hours as a GA, so it is something I'd have to consider. I was hoping for the Bloomberg fellowship, but having not gotten it, I am trying to decide the best option.  Would love to hear others in a similar situation, and what you might end up deciding!

6 hours ago, HealthPolicyMgmtPhD said:

@2020epi - I am in the same boat! I am trying to decide between the Hopkins DrPH and a PhD at a less prestigious program. I plan to stay full-time at work too, but the PhD is giving tuition support if I can give between 10-20 hours as a GA, so it is something I'd have to consider. I was hoping for the Bloomberg fellowship, but having not gotten it, I am trying to decide the best option.  Would love to hear others in a similar situation, and what you might end up deciding!

I am in this situation too! Hopkins DrPH vs. tuition-covered PhD. I am really unsure at this point. I am attending the upcoming virtual Q&As/info sessions and trying to talk to current students to help with the decision

On 3/8/2020 at 1:14 AM, PublicHealth2020grad said:

I am in this situation too! Hopkins DrPH vs. tuition-covered PhD. I am really unsure at this point. I am attending the upcoming virtual Q&As/info sessions and trying to talk to current students to help with the decision

Will you be attending today’s Hopkins admitted students webinar? I’ll be in flight so I’ll miss it! If you have anything to share from today, please post!

3 hours ago, HealthPolicyMgmtPhD said:

Will you be attending today’s Hopkins admitted students webinar? I’ll be in flight so I’ll miss it! If you have anything to share from today, please post!

Yes I'm registered and plan to attend the session today at 12pm Eastern time. I will share what they discuss!

4 hours ago, PublicHealth2020grad said:

Yes I'm registered and plan to attend the session today at 12pm Eastern time. I will share what they discuss!

Sounds like we are all in similar situations! I listened to the webinar today but it didn’t help me much. I’m thinking talking to current students at both schools will be more useful. I’m just a little worried about not getting the same level of mentorship from my Hopkins advisor since i will be remote. And also the high cost. If we finish the coursework in the first two years it comes out to a little over 30k per year for those two years. I really don’t know if I can swing it.

9 minutes ago, 2020epi said:

Sounds like we are all in similar situations! I listened to the webinar today but it didn’t help me much. I’m thinking talking to current students at both schools will be more useful. I’m just a little worried about not getting the same level of mentorship from my Hopkins advisor since i will be remote. And also the high cost. If we finish the coursework in the first two years it comes out to a little over 30k per year for those two years. I really don’t know if I can swing it.

I was in the webinar too. If it helps - I talked to a current student yesterday who said that the level of mentorship from your advisor really depends on the advisor and advisee. Generally the advisor needs to sign off on your course plan. She said that she knows some students that never hear replies from their advisor on any of their emails so they switched advisors. She said she knows some people who talk to their advisor every couple of weeks to check in. Since we find out our advisors this week, maybe you could feel it out a bit? And if I do this program, I plan to spread the coursework out over more than 2 years due to the cost burden. Are you in a rush to finish in 4 years or could you consider the same? 

8 hours ago, HealthPolicyMgmtPhD said:

The webinar was a helpful overview of the following: accepting the admissions offer, orientation and summer institute, waiver process, prereqs (biostats and epi - must take free waiver exam offered 3x year if didn't take these at JHSPH within the past 5 years), and a description of other resources that will be given to us between now and orientation. The main thing to note now is that the concentration letters will be sent this week and we will be sent the names of our advisors. They tried to accommodate based on the names of faculty that we sent them during the application process. The letters will also have a link to the recording of today's session. If you have any burning questions I can tell you if they answered them