2020 Canadian SLP Thread

Has anyone accepted an offer, but then later on changed their mind on the program? Were you able to withdraw from the program and accept a different program choice? How did you withdraw from the program?  

For anyone attending the University of Alberta this Fall we have a Facebook group you can join! Link is below :) 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/204979737383586/

You can also search the name “UofA SLP class of 2022” to find the group!

Edited by slp.dreamer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All! 

Congratulations to everyone who made it into the program this year!! For those who didn't, please don't feel too discouraged. We've all been there and it's definitely tough but it'll be well worth it once you make it into your dream program! You got this! ?

With that said, for anyone who is interested in applying to the University of Alberta program next year, I highly encourage you to attend this year's OASIS Conference 2020 (September 26, 2020). In one of the most popular talks "How to the Navigate the UAlberta Application Process", our Academic Advisor Vicki Trombley will be available to share advice and answer questions on how to apply to the Speech-Language Pathology Program at the UofA. Unlike previous years, this year's conference will be virtual, which means that for the first time ever, you will all have access to this information (as well as all the other interesting talks, client/clinician panels, prizes, etc.)!

Early Bird registration is $10CAD until September 11, 2020. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at oasiscnf@ualberta.ca. Hope to see you there! 

Edited by OASISCNF
Additional info

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all. 

I'm applying to UofT and western. My sGPA and cGPA is 3.7 . I have 3 years volunteering experience under supervision of an slp. Also, 2 relevant research experience. Currently,  I work in a nursing home under a recreational therapist supervision and help residents with alzheimer's disease. 

Do you think I have a chance with the all experience I have and my GPA?

23 hours ago, Only-SLP said:

Hello all. 

I'm applying to UofT and western. My sGPA and cGPA is 3.7 . I have 3 years volunteering experience under supervision of an slp. Also, 2 relevant research experience. Currently,  I work in a nursing home under a recreational therapist supervision and help residents with alzheimer's disease. 

Do you think I have a chance with the all experience I have and my GPA?

Hey, 

It really depends on the cohort applying each year. You definitely have a chance of getting in!

For reference, my sGPA was 3.8. I only had 14 hours of volunteering with an SLP at the time I applied. I had 3 research experiences. And I had work experience with people with acquired brain injuries and also with kids with autism. I didn't apply to U of T but I got waitlisted to Western. With your 3 years of volunteering, you definitely have a better chance than I did!

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, kslp said:

Hi everyone! I ended up getting a spot at U of A (off the waitlist) on Thursday! Hopefully knowing there’s still some movement encourages you who are still waiting, since I too had lost hope. Good luck! 

Can you give me some insight as to what your stats were please? I'm a first time applicant this year and trying to get a feel for if I actually have a shot or not ??

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

I know this thread is from last year, but in the off-chance any of you still check this forum I thought I'd make a post.

For those of you who were accepted and are currently in your first year of your programs, would you mind sharing how your experience is going? This is my first time applying (for Fall 2021) and as my applications are done I'm just in the waiting process before we'll start hearing back from schools so I thought I'd gather info about programs from people in them. I've chatted with one individual at McGill who said they're having a poor experience (in particular as an anglophone) so I would be eager to hear some more honest feedback from others at different schools as well. In the off chance that I'm fortunate enough to be accepted to multiple schools and have options, then I think it's important for me to consider as much information as possible, so if any of you would want to provide some pros, cons, etc. about your experiences both in terms of courses/workload, the cities you live in, your school overall, how they're dealing with COVID, placements, etc. then I'd be receptive to any of it! 

In particular the schools I applied to were UAlberta, McGill,  Western, McMaster, and Dalhousie, and I don't really have a definitive ranking of my top choice(s) or anything so I'd be open to hearing perspectives from students at any of these schools. If you do have anything to share please feel free to reply here or shoot me a DM if you'd prefer to keep it more private.

Thanks so much! :) 

Edited by coco_SLP

• 1 month later...

This is a long shot, but I was wondering if those who applied and/or waitlisted and were accepted at Western or U of T this past fall could share some of their stats? This is my second time applying....last year I was put on the waitlist at Western, but did not end up getting accepted. I was also rejected from Toronto. Any help would definitely ease my stress and (lack-there-of) patience lol congrats to those who got in!!