2020 Canadian SLP Thread

How long are people who are on a waitlist keeping hope for? I know last year for Western on the forum some people heard back as late as June but I'm not sure about u of t, and I don't really know why it would even go that far. Just sucks because I need to find a place to live next year but I can't really start planning till I know if I'm getting off the waitlist or not ??‍♀️

7 hours ago, Justspeechie24 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, do you know what quadrant of the waitlist you were on? 

I'm sorry but I didn't find out which quadrant I was in.

For those accepted to U of A this year could you please tell me if all of your classes have been filled? Just trying to gauge if there is any likelihood that more offers will be sent out this week. Thanks! ☺️

4 hours ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

For those accepted to U of A this year could you please tell me if all of your classes have been filled? Just trying to gauge if there is any likelihood that more offers will be sent out this week. Thanks! ☺️

I think this might answer your question:

On 5/1/2020 at 3:25 PM, Speeechie said:

Hey! There are 60 students registered in our review courses that we are automatically enrolled in. I'm guessing those open seats for the actual classes are just people who haven't registered yet. I hope this helps for people who are still waiting. 

15 hours ago, soontobslp said:

I am guessing you were in the first quadrant, I am in the first quadrant and still have not been accepted off the waitlist :( 

I am also in the first quadrant and haven't been contacted! 

Hi, all. Just wondering if anyone has created a Facebook group for UBC? I've been keeping an eye on this forum, but haven't seen anything yet.

I am very excited to meet you all (and hope we can get started on time and in-person).

Congrats to everyone who got offers, and if you didn't get one this year DON'T GIVE UP!

On 5/2/2020 at 11:36 PM, ayaamz said:

Has anyone got an official letter from Dalhousie yet regarding acceptance from the FGS? 

Still waiting! I am hoping this week, and if I don't hear anything after the May long weekend I may reach out to Hillary again!

This is the email I got about the u of t waitlist, not sure if that means the class is full but that's what it sounds like:

"Thanks for reaching out. We have started moving on our waitlist and while the acceptance deadline for admits was April 30, people do change their mind due to personal circumstances so we sometimes have a bit of movement even in the summer. Please go on with your alternate plans at this time and we will be in touch should we have news"

18 hours ago, Queenie18 said:

Hi, all. Just wondering if anyone has created a Facebook group for UBC? I've been keeping an eye on this forum, but haven't seen anything yet.

I am very excited to meet you all (and hope we can get started on time and in-person).

Congrats to everyone who got offers, and if you didn't get one this year DON'T GIVE UP!

Yes, there is a UBC facebook group! :) Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ubcslpclass2022

There are also a few discussion posts in the graduate student community forum: https://community.grad.ubc.ca/

And for anybody feeling discouraged, agreed, don't give up! Speaking as somebody who wasn't accepted last year, application season rolls around again pretty quickly. My advice would be to reflect on those feelings, check in with yourself to see if this is still something you want, reach out to your support networks... then make a plan.

Also, take any advice (including mine) with a generous grain of salt! You know better than anybody else what you are capable of, and even so, you might surprise yourself. 

Stay safe everyone!

3 hours ago, SpeechST said:

Has anyone been accepted off the Dalhousie waitlist?

I have not.  I'm wondering if anyone has contacted Hillary to see where they are on the waitlist.  I know Western told us where we are placed on the waitlist so I'm wondering if Dal is doing the same?

4 hours ago, SpeechST said:

Has anyone been accepted off the Dalhousie waitlist?

1 hour ago, wanna_be_SLP said:

I have not.  I'm wondering if anyone has contacted Hillary to see where they are on the waitlist.  I know Western told us where we are placed on the waitlist so I'm wondering if Dal is doing the same?

Hi everyone! My friend told me about this forum a few days ago and I thought I would reply to some of you on the Dalhousie waitlist and let you know that they seem to have sent out second round acceptances before they move onto the waitlist.

I got an email acceptance from Hillary last Thursday (was not waitlisted the day before when quite a few of you were so I assumed I had been rejected) and in my offer I was told I have until May 6th at noon to respond - so I'm sure some of you on the waitlist will start hearing back after tomorrow!! Just thought I would post to let some of you who are still waiting know ? 

Also a belated congrats to everyone who has been accepted ?

Edited by PSCspeech2020

23 minutes ago, PSCspeech2020 said:

Hi everyone! My friend told me about this forum a few days ago and I thought I would reply to some of you on the Dalhousie waitlist and let you know that they seem to have sent out second round acceptances before they move onto the waitlist.

I got an email acceptance from Hillary last Thursday (was not waitlisted the day before when quite a few of you were so I assumed I had been rejected) and in my offer I was told I have until May 6th at noon to respond - so I'm sure some of you on the waitlist will start hearing back after tomorrow!! Just thought I would post to let some of you who are still waiting know ? 

Also a belated congrats to everyone who has been accepted ?

Are you accepting your offer to Dal?

8 minutes ago, slp7 said:

Does anyone know when we are expected to pay our tuition fees? I've chosen to go to Western University but haven't gotten any information in regards to when we are supposed to do that.

Hey! I wasn't able to find any information about tuition for Western at all actually.  I found I went in circles on their website. Were you able to find the cost?

12 minutes ago, slp7 said:

Does anyone know when we are expected to pay our tuition fees? I've chosen to go to Western University but haven't gotten any information in regards to when we are supposed to do that.

Hi! I don't think they have posted the cost of tuition for Fall 2020 yet, but the acceptance letter said we have to pay the deposit by June 1st. Hope this helps! :)

1 hour ago, wanna_be_SLP said:

Hey! I wasn't able to find any information about tuition for Western at all actually.  I found I went in circles on their website. Were you able to find the cost?

thanks! and I actually wasn't able to either but I'll let you know if I do!

1 hour ago, SLPeh said:

Hi! I don't think they have posted the cost of tuition for Fall 2020 yet, but the acceptance letter said we have to pay the deposit by June 1st. Hope this helps! :)

thanks ! and it does, definitely makes things more clearer for me now :) 

18 hours ago, wanna_be_SLP said:

Dal doesn't give out waitlist positions at all