2020 Canadian SLP Thread

For those of you that had to apply more than once before getting accepted, I was wondering what you suggest to do to make your application better. I am currently feeling quite discouraged about not getting to go next year (I was waitlisted at two schools, but trying to plan my "plan B"). Did you work and make money? Go back to school and up your grades? Did you take another program? Did you/Were you able to contact admissions and ask what you needed to have a better application or for advice? (Even tips for applications - those who were accepted first time please reach out, I would love to hear your thoughts too)

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Congrats to all that were accepted this year.

Hi everyone! My status on the uozone portal has switched from 'waitlisted' to 'under evaluation' for Ottawa University. Has anything similar happened to anyone for Ottawa or another school?

Edited by speedyspeechy

18 hours ago, Rehab said:

Hey does anyone know more about McMaster's candidate status and how this is different from full accreditation?

I had also asked this earlier in the thread and to my understanding you can work in Ontario no problem once you graduate from their program but would have to apply with the regulatory bodies of other provinces if you want to work elsewhere. I got some responses when I asked around page 18-19 of this thread (sorry couldn't figure out how to include it in my reply) but definitely check those out too :) 

Seeing as the waitlist for western is full, I’m assuming that I’m not going to get in this year. From what I could gather the weakest part of my application was having only 20 volunteer hours. I’m worried I won’t be able to improve that number much before the next application deadline due to corona. Is anyone out there still getting volunteer hours while this is all happening? Or do you have any tips? I would really appreciate any input ?

1 hour ago, Meggiemoo said:

Seeing as the waitlist for western is full, I’m assuming that I’m not going to get in this year. From what I could gather the weakest part of my application was having only 20 volunteer hours. I’m worried I won’t be able to improve that number much before the next application deadline due to corona. Is anyone out there still getting volunteer hours while this is all happening? Or do you have any tips? I would really appreciate any input ?

This isn't directly SLP related, but have you considered volunteering as a conversation partner in an online ESL convo circle/class? I know my university's volunteer office has been advertising online opportunities to do so because of COVID, and it's at least something semi-relevant if you can't manage to find SLP volunteer hours :) 

42 minutes ago, tulipz said:

This isn't directly SLP related, but have you considered volunteering as a conversation partner in an online ESL convo circle/class? I know my university's volunteer office has been advertising online opportunities to do so because of COVID, and it's at least something semi-relevant if you can't manage to find SLP volunteer hours :) 

Unfortunately I already have two years experience working as a facilitator for an English Conversation club, so I’m looking for something that would add more variety to my application. If I can’t find any SLP experience, that would still be a good option for gaining general volunteer hours! Thank you so much for your response ???

On 5/5/2020 at 1:11 AM, Mmg3618 said:

Still waiting! I am hoping this week, and if I don't hear anything after the May long weekend I may reach out to Hillary again!

Hopefully we hear back soon! I was hoping we'd get a letter this week :(

On 5/6/2020 at 9:44 PM, tulipz said:

What university is this?

On 5/6/2020 at 8:39 PM, Meggiemoo said:

Did you email Janet asking her what your weaknesses were? just curious. 

16 minutes ago, Origami_Princess said:

Did you email Janet asking her what your weaknesses were? just curious. 

Is that something that I can do? I deduced this just from other people’s stats. This is my first time applying. 

Edited by Meggiemoo

Will anyone who's been accepted to UofA mind pm-ing me their stats and their experiences? I'd love to get a sense of what they're looking for and see how I can improve my future application. 

Thanks!

On 5/7/2020 at 5:24 PM, speechie98 said:

Does anyone know any relevant GPA boosters from Athabasca University?

I'm planning on taking a few courses, probably mostly psychology-related as those as the ones I find the most relevant and interesting. I'll be starting a course on ASD in June (PSYCH 478) so I don't mind sending you a breakdown of the course once I receive the materials. I don't consider any of the courses I plan on taking "bird" courses, but I've spent A LOT of money on courses for SLP and I'm just not willing to pay ~$900 for irrelevant or useless courses.

Have you found any courses you're considering? Feel free to PM me!

On 5/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, SLPhopeful127 said:

Will anyone who's been accepted to UofA mind pm-ing me their stats and their experiences? I'd love to get a sense of what they're looking for and see how I can improve my future application. 

Thanks!

On 5/10/2020 at 4:12 PM, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

I would also very much appreciate any admitted U of A students to share their experience and stats with me as well. I’m unsure I’ll apply again after being waitlisted twice but any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated 

9 hours ago, _mls said:

I would also appreciate if someone accepted into U of A would share their stats! Thank you :)

I noticed quite a few people looking for someone accepted to U of A to share their stats so I thought instead of messaging everyone directly I will just share them here!

My sub-GPA is 83% or 3.85 GPA (according to UBC's conversion scale). My GRE stats: Verbal 150 (60th %), Quant 149 (34th %), Writing 4.5 (81st %). 

For volunteer experience, I had 14 volunteer hours with an SLP, as well as volunteered as a research assistant in 2 labs at university. I also did a directed studies project and worked in a lab for that. I also had a little bit of volunteer hours at a halfway house which I'm not sure was relevant to my application but I guess the more volunteer hours, the better!

For work, I worked with people who have brain injuries for one summer and at the time of my application, had worked with kids who have autism for about 5 months. 

I think my letter of intent also helped me stand out as I did a ton of research of all the profs in the faculty at the university to see their specialities and areas of research, and then specifically mentioned a couple of them by name in my letter as I had similar interests to their specialities so it just helped me stand out and showed that I did some research too! 

Feel free to PM me with any more questions :) Hope that helps!

3 hours ago, HannaK98 said:

Hey everyone, 

Has anybody on the waiting list heard from University of Ottawa??

I have a friend who got in off the waitlist!

Edited by cdapanda

22 hours ago, ayaamz said:

I just got an official acceptance for another program I applied to at Dalhousie less than a week after the initial reccomendation, but still haven't heard from the FGS for SLP. It's been well over a month has anyone tried emailing them? 

I also accepted my offer shortly after I was sent the email and have yet to receive a formal letter via mail. I haven't emailed them to ask about this yet but if anyone has I'd love to have an update!