2020 Canadian SLP Thread

This might be a long shot but is anyone in the pre-req online course CSD211 Child Language Acquisition at U of A that is starting May 4? I'm registered but haven't received any news on the course at all or how to access it or anything at all and starting to get nervous! I feel like I'm missing something, I would think we would have some information or at least something about what the course entails or how to access it since it is only a few days away?!

28 minutes ago, JennSed said:

This might be a long shot but is anyone in the pre-req online course CSD211 Child Language Acquisition at U of A that is starting May 4? I'm registered but haven't received any news on the course at all or how to access it or anything at all and starting to get nervous! I feel like I'm missing something, I would think we would have some information or at least something about what the course entails or how to access it since it is only a few days away?!

Hey, I took ling 319 online, which is similar to csd 211. (Basically the same). You access it thru eclass, your prof will prob post videos and resources there. I know we had a couple of assignments, a midterm and a final. I'm sure your prof will email you soon. 

Edited by slpthings

30 minutes ago, JennSed said:

Hey! I took the exact same course in the fall semester online! If I remember correctly, I also didn't get any news until like a day or 2 before class started, so I wouldn't worry! It's through eclass, and the prof should correspond to you through your UofA email. It's quite straightforward, we had 8 or 10 quizzes total, I think 3 assignments, a midterm and a final. Good luck!

10 hours ago, wanna_be_SLP said:

I was also waitlisted at Dalhousie yesterday

Does anyone know of current students in the Dalhousie SLP program? I'd love to get their perspective on the program

I think @bp21 mentioned being a 2nd year Dal student. 

56 minutes ago, SLP-2020 said:

Has anyone heard back about the waitlist at U of A recently? :) 

Nope! Also still waiting, I'm trying to empathize with the difficulty of the current situation but the wait is driving me a little crazy especially since I have no idea why it would take so long to fill open spots haha best of luck to you, hoping they fill those spots and let everybody know soon :) 

18 minutes ago, gradhopeful20 said:

Nope! Also still waiting, I'm trying to empathize with the difficulty of the current situation but the wait is driving me a little crazy especially since I have no idea why it would take so long to fill open spots haha best of luck to you, hoping they fill those spots and let everybody know soon :) 

It’s really difficult! I am starting to wonder if they are open spots or just people who have not yet registered. Good luck to you as well :) 

13 minutes ago, SLP-2020 said:

It’s really difficult! I am starting to wonder if they are open spots or just people who have not yet registered. Good luck to you as well :) 

Good point. I keep forgetting that those spots may be reserved. I guess it's me just trying to stay hopeful haha. Good luck! 

27 minutes ago, SLP-2020 said:

Hey! There are 60 students registered in our review courses that we are automatically enrolled in. I'm guessing those open seats for the actual classes are just people who haven't registered yet. I hope this helps for people who are still waiting. 

Edited by Speeechie

1 hour ago, SpeechST said:

I haven’t heard anything from Dalhousie so I am guessing it is not good news. Has anyone received a rejection letter, if they don’t mind sharing? 

I haven’t received anything yet either ?

On 4/29/2020 at 4:37 PM, v.lee said:

Hey! I took the exact same course in the fall semester online! If I remember correctly, I also didn't get any news until like a day or 2 before class started, so I wouldn't worry! It's through eclass, and the prof should correspond to you through your UofA email. It's quite straightforward, we had 8 or 10 quizzes total, I think 3 assignments, a midterm and a final. Good luck!

On 4/29/2020 at 4:23 PM, slpthings said:

Hey, I took ling 319 online, which is similar to csd 211. (Basically the same). You access it thru eclass, your prof will prob post videos and resources there. I know we had a couple of assignments, a midterm and a final. I'm sure your prof will email you soon. 

Thank you so much for responding!! It just appeared for me finally! Was the course laid out so that you do everything (I.e. the readings) according to your own timing (other than assignments and exams) or did you have to be there for video calls on certain days/times to "attend" or did you have to submit something every week to stay on track?? 

I was waitlisted at Western and got an offer today that I accepted! Has anyone started a Facebook group for Western?

6 hours ago, JennSed said:

Thank you so much for responding!! It just appeared for me finally! Was the course laid out so that you do everything (I.e. the readings) according to your own timing (other than assignments and exams) or did you have to be there for video calls on certain days/times to "attend" or did you have to submit something every week to stay on track?? 

•  

We had recorded lectures that we had to watch, but I don't remember there being readings (if there were, I clearly did not do them haha!). Everything was at our own pace, we even did the quizzes whenever we felt like it, as long as you finished them by the deadline. Assignments had due dates as well. Everything was flexible enough that if I had one week where I was too busy to get everything done, I was able to work ahead of the suggested schedule beforehand if I wanted to. The only thing that was scheduled was the midterm and the final, and you get like a 2-day window to write it whenever works best for you. Bear in mind you should budget a decent amount of time for the lecture videos, they can be long. 

Hope this all helps! 

On 4/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, wanna_be_SLP said:

I was also waitlisted at Dalhousie yesterday

Does anyone know of current students in the Dalhousie SLP program? I'd love to get their perspective on the program

Feel free to pm me your questions. I have a lot of free time and a lot of thoughts on the program.

19 hours ago, SpeechST said:

I haven’t heard anything from Dalhousie so I am guessing it is not good news. Has anyone received a rejection letter, if they don’t mind sharing? 

I received an email from Hilary on Wednesday stating that I was not accepted into Dal.