2020 Canadian SLP Thread

Hey everyone! It's my first year applying for SLP and I was waitlisted at U of A (I only applied there). My understanding from the waitlist email was that people had to make decisions by April 15th, and thus I would have a good idea of my chances by that date. But I'm seeing that some schools are still sending out offers...so did I misunderstand this? Trying to ease my mind and prepare to wait longer! :) Thanks!

36 minutes ago, _mls said:

Hey everyone! It's my first year applying for SLP and I was waitlisted at U of A (I only applied there). My understanding from the waitlist email was that people had to make decisions by April 15th, and thus I would have a good idea of my chances by that date. But I'm seeing that some schools are still sending out offers...so did I misunderstand this? Trying to ease my mind and prepare to wait longer! :) Thanks!

Hi _mls,

I'm waitlisted at U of A as well. I anticipate waitlist movement on the 15th and afterwards. So hopefully we will both hear good news this week! Good luck :)

13 hours ago, wanna_be_SLP said:

Has anyone reached out to Dalhousie to find out when they are releasing their waitlist and rejections?

The last day for people to accept their Dalhousie offers is April 15! Atleast that was the date written in my acceptance email, so you may hear something after that? :) 

Hi everyone, discouraged applicant here; any advice for me?

It was my second time applying (first serious application this year -- advisor's suggestion to apply last year just to familiarize myself with the process, but I didn't expect to get in) to the same school this year (just one) and I didn't luck out this time around. I'm planning on applying to more schools next year (possibly Western, McMaster, Dalhousie, U of T, McGill). 

I feel my experience (+ the networking I've done thanks to these experiences) is what makes my application strong. I have 2 years research experience, having had a research award/grant and done 3 presentations. I also have worked/volunteered in these settings: school, rehab centre, aphasia rehab groups, autism clinic, and long-term care facility. I also have some ESL teaching experience.

(Not sure if I calculated it correctly but) My current sub GPA is 3.4 (and my cGPA is not so good, I spent ~2 years under a BSc degree = horrible grades in my first year or so). This year, I upgraded some of my undergrad courses as a non-degree student so that helped bring up my sub GPA a little. 

Other than going back and improving my grades some more, I'm not sure what else I should do. 

I feel extremely discouraged and, to be honest, quite lost.

Anything helps. Thanks everyone!

19 hours ago, SLPizza said:

It was my second time applying (first serious application this year -- advisor's suggestion to apply last year just to familiarize myself with the process, but I didn't expect to get in) to the same school this year (just one) and I didn't luck out this time around. I'm planning on applying to more schools next year (possibly Western, McMaster, Dalhousie, U of T, McGill). 

I feel my experience (+ the networking I've done thanks to these experiences) is what makes my application strong. I have 2 years research experience, having had a research award/grant and done 3 presentations. I also have worked/volunteered in these settings: school, rehab centre, aphasia rehab groups, autism clinic, and long-term care facility. I also have some ESL teaching experience.

(Not sure if I calculated it correctly but) My current sub GPA is 3.4 (and my cGPA is not so good, I spent ~2 years under a BSc degree = horrible grades in my first year or so). This year, I upgraded some of my undergrad courses as a non-degree student so that helped bring up my sub GPA a little. 

Other than going back and improving my grades some more, I'm not sure what else I should do. 

Wow your extra-curricular sound amazing! Unfortunately with Canadian schools I've found that a huge emphasis is placed on GPA especially due to the competitive nature of the program and limited amount of schools.

I'd recommend taking on another semester of course work to place yourself in the best position for the next cycle. I'd take a close look at my GPA and figure out exactly what I have and how much do you need to place yourself in a competitive position. It's also really important to research the classes you take to maximize your ability to score high. 

Sadly it's GPA that gets you through the door or what can hold you back. You've done an awesome job at taking on those experiences and that's something that will definitely work in your favour. It shows that you are dedicated and passionate about the discipline! I don't know what schools are nearby you but if you are able to, I would try to volunteer at a lab in the department you'd apply to. This will help you familiarize with the program and get to know the professors. At the same time, it can put a face to your application and hopefully someone there can vouch for you. 

Something that I've learned is that it's really important to not take it all to heart. There are so many people applying and at the end of the day, there are only so many seats. It's a setback but it will only push you to work on the weaker points of your application. 

Hopefully that helps!

21 hours ago, SLPizza said:

Do you mind me asking which school you applied to?

Your experience sounds awesome and really similar to my experience going into the application process although it sounds like you have even more experience!

My sub GPA was 3.6 or 3.7 so not like the best of the best but not too bad either and I was accepted to U of A but waitlisted for Western. As you mentioned I think it would definitely be beneficial for you to just take some easy GPA boosters because it seems like maybe that was the main part of your application that could be improved!  But you definitely don’t need the best of the best grades to get in because I didn’t have them!

Also not sure where you applied, but the biggest piece of advice I have is focusing a lot on your letter of intent (if your school requires one). For me, I researched ALL the profs in the communication sciences and disorders department at U of A and most of them had bios or talked about their areas of specialty/interest or research. I found a couple that particularly had the same interests as I do and made sure to mention them by name in my letter of reference and why I was so excited about the opportunity to learn under them. I also mentioned some other things about U of A I had researched so it showed I really put in that extra effort to do my research and maybe helped me stand out a bit too. Not sure if that is helpful because not all schools require a letter of intent but perhaps if you’re applying to some next year that do require it, it could be helpful. 

Good luck and don’t give up!! ?

22 hours ago, SLPizza said:

Sounds like you’ve done a lot of research work and that’s amazing! It’s not an easy feat at all! Grad schools tend to look at applicants holistically so your experience can still help you stand out.

As you work on your grades (aim for a 3.6+ subGPA), try to maintain your connections and gradually decrease your involvement in extracurriculars. I know this is easier said than done but I’m sure you’ll find a way to make it work.

You might also want to address the weakest part of your application on your letter of intent. Be wise, truthful and succinct with your response and reassure the grad committee that you’ve overcome your weakness.

Lastly, make sure that all of your academic and clinical references really know you well because only then would they be willing to vouch for your intellectual capability and potential to be a promising clinician. 

Hope that helps!

Edited by _reeldeel

23 hours ago, overcaffeinatedslp said:

Did anyone who accepted their offer of admission from Dal receive an email confirming they got the acceptance? 

Hey! Yeah I sent them an email on Monday and I got a response from Hillary saying that my email was received. You should try sending the email again? :)

6 minutes ago, tazm said:

Whoever didn't hear back from Dal , does this mean we didn't get accepted? I think they should have emailed us a rejection letter atleast.....

Hey ! I haven’t heard anything yet either :( but I also have not heard of anyone getting waitlisted yet. Maybe there is still hope! 

4 minutes ago, SpeechST said:

Hey ! I haven’t heard anything yet either :( but I also have not heard of anyone getting waitlisted yet. Maybe there is still hope! 

Wouldn't we have to hear back today as today is the deadline?

5 hours ago, corinthians1614 said:

Hey! Yeah I sent them an email on Monday and I got a response from Hillary saying that my email was received. You should try sending the email again? :)

Hey, did you reply to the offer of admission or draft a new email? I haven't heard back from her and sent the email on April 7th. I sent another email today hoping to hear back from her soon. 

49 minutes ago, ayaamz said:

Hey, did you reply to the offer of admission or draft a new email? I haven't heard back from her and sent the email on April 7th. I sent another email today hoping to hear back from her soon. 

I sent her a new email! I'm sure she will see your reply soon, she may still just be going through the responses! :)

On 4/7/2020 at 5:32 PM, SlelP said:

Thanks for that information, this has taken a quick turn and has become a bit stressful. I think I'll have to look at the options at Athabasca, have you personally taken courses there? I'm hoping they will be easy but there is a lot riding on it.

Just reading through the posts and saw this, I've taken Physics through Athabasca and got a B+, even though having no previous Physics knowledge whatsoever. If you work hard and dedicate time to learning the material yourself, you should have no problem in getting a B+ to fulfill Toronto's grade requirement! :)

1 hour ago, corinthians1614 said:

Just reading through the posts and saw this, I've taken Physics through Athabasca and got a B+, even though having no previous Physics knowledge whatsoever. If you work hard and dedicate time to learning the material yourself, you should have no problem in getting a B+ to fulfill Toronto's grade requirement! :)

I'm taking three right now at Thompson Rivers, same kind of format. Hopefully I'll get the same results as from Athabasca!