2020 Canadian SLP Thread

5 hours ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

Hey! Just curious.. I am also considering going into a CDA program if I do not get off the waitlist but I'm wondering why you would choose to attend a CDA program and still apply for entrance next year? No judgement here! Just most people I've seen will purées CDA and work in that field for a few years to gain professional experience and then apply again to SLP later on. Just wondering what your thought process is :)

I did not do well in statistics in 3rd year and took a different one this semester (and thankfully did a lot better) and I know that’s what dragged my application down. I went right from high school to university and (honestly) I’m scared to not do school, so I’d rather fill my year off learning more within the field (my hometown is Barrie and I can live at home while I do it) and apply again for SLP. Ultimately, I know I’d rather do SLP than CDA if I can get in! If I don’t get in again, then I can start a career in CDA instead ☺️

I was recently waitlisted to Western - don’t know how to feel about this. I emailed the school as I was told they usually tell you what quadrant you are in. She told me I was in the 2nd quarter... Not sure what this means since we have no idea how long the list is. Anyone know? Thanks! :) 

6 hours ago, MiaSLP said:

I was recently waitlisted to Western - don’t know how to feel about this. I emailed the school as I was told they usually tell you what quadrant you are in. She told me I was in the 2nd quarter... Not sure what this means since we have no idea how long the list is. Anyone know? Thanks! :) 

Hey! 

Did you email Janet?! I was also waitlisted and would like to know!

17 hours ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

Hey! Just curious.. I am also considering going into a CDA program if I do not get off the waitlist but I'm wondering why you would choose to attend a CDA program and still apply for entrance next year? No judgement here! Just most people I've seen will purées CDA and work in that field for a few years to gain professional experience and then apply again to SLP later on. Just wondering what your thought process is :)

Similar to the person above, I’m also from Barrie so it made sense to do the CDA program while I could live at home, so that I was gaining more knowledge in the field and doing something relevant (as opposed to just working a random unrelated job!). You’re right that a lot of people in CDA just want to be a CDA, but I knew that the type of work a CDA does vs what an SLP does are not the same, and I know I want to be an SLP (not to mention the pay difference lol). Had I not been accepted this application cycle, I would have worked as a CDA and then eventually reapplied to SLP, but that’s not an issue now! ?

On 4/1/2020 at 9:16 AM, nigellovesslp said:

I will be declining Western and likely McMaster to accept my offer to U of T. I was also on the waitlist for McGill so that would free a spot there! Hope that helps :)

Hey there! Just out of curiosity I am wondering what made you choose UofT? I am currently deciding between UofT, Western and UBC(haven't heard from them yet). I am drawn to UofT because I think it would be a cool experience. Its kind of considered the New York of Canada. Anyways, I'd love to hear what you think! :)

12 hours ago, Justspeechie24 said:

I did not do well in statistics in 3rd year and took a different one this semester (and thankfully did a lot better) and I know that’s what dragged my application down. I went right from high school to university and (honestly) I’m scared to not do school, so I’d rather fill my year off learning more within the field (my hometown is Barrie and I can live at home while I do it) and apply again for SLP. Ultimately, I know I’d rather do SLP than CDA if I can get in! If I don’t get in again, then I can start a career in CDA instead ☺️

Yeah that makes sense! I'm really torn just because I definitely want to pursue the Master's program, I just don't know about taking another year off to reapply. Realistically, GPA is a big factor for me so regardless I would have to pay to take extra courses. I guess the idea of doing a one-year program as an introduction into the field sounds really nice but I'm not sure if the time and cost (I would have to relocate from Toronto to Kingston) would even be worth it. Thanks for your reply!  

14 hours ago, Origami_Princess said:

Just curious, I am thinking of the same thing as well. Did you already apply to a CDA program? 

Yes, I have an outstanding offer to attend St. Lawrence College in Kingston.

1 hour ago, SLPsoph said:

Similar to the person above, I’m also from Barrie so it made sense to do the CDA program while I could live at home, so that I was gaining more knowledge in the field and doing something relevant (as opposed to just working a random unrelated job!). You’re right that a lot of people in CDA just want to be a CDA, but I knew that the type of work a CDA does vs what an SLP does are not the same, and I know I want to be an SLP (not to mention the pay difference lol). Had I not been accepted this application cycle, I would have worked as a CDA and then eventually reapplied to SLP, but that’s not an issue now! ?

Thanks for your reply and congrats on getting an acceptance this year! I guess I just need to look at what in my application would need improving and whether or not doing the CDA program would help me get there. Also, given the economic climate right now I'm also thinking having another year to be more financially prepared (especially if I have to relocate) wouldn't be a bad thing. I just get stressed out because I feel like I'm in such a rush to finish school and get into the field that every year it gets postponed just feels like an eternity.

4 hours ago, danielaspeechSLP said:

Hey! 

Did you email Janet?! I was also waitlisted and would like to know!

Yes! Good luck girl :) ! praying for us! keep me updated where you are on the list!

Edited by MiaSLP

20 hours ago, AintThatSpeechy said:

Hi everyone!

I was curious if anyone could let me know about their experience as an SLP student at McMaster? I'm finding it difficult to find anything from a student's perspective related to their SLP program. Thank you!!

I'm a current SLP student at mac. I really like the program as a whole- there are occasionally things that I have issues with, but the program coordinators and professors are accessible and open to discuss. Problem based learning is a huge part of what we do, so if you struggle with self directed learning it might be difficult for you. If you have any specific questions let me know!

On 4/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, flowerslp2020 said:

Hey there! I am planning to make an FB page for UofT, I will send you guys the link :) 

Thanks for volunteering to do that! Have you had a chance to make it yet? :) 

8 hours ago, flowerslp2020 said:

Hey there! Just out of curiosity I am wondering what made you choose UofT? I am currently deciding between UofT, Western and UBC(haven't heard from them yet). I am drawn to UofT because I think it would be a cool experience. Its kind of considered the New York of Canada. Anyways, I'd love to hear what you think! :)

Hi! There’s a few reasons, some of which are really just my personal preference. Some major ones have to do with the city itself - I’m originally from Toronto and can move back home, London is just so much further away and smaller, etc. As a city itself, Toronto definitely does not lack in things to do and see though I do find the culture to be less laid back than in cities like Montreal (where I currently live). I didn’t apply to UBC but I really considered it because I’ve heard great things about Vancouver (it’s just too far for me right now). I also have heard great things about the program in terms of how supportive the faculty is, lots of clinics placement opportunities and I like the overall structure of the program alternating between classes and placements. Hope that helps! :) 

On 4/3/2020 at 9:27 AM, Justspeechie24 said:

I have found that during the application process Dalhousie has been the most difficult communication wise (did not know if they got my application till March, do not answer phones on Fridays or Mondays, never responded to emails before application deadline, did not post application supplement till a couple months after they said it would be on the website), does this improve once you are a student at Dalhousie or does it just get worse? 

Hi, I’m also a dal student (2nd year). Dealing with admin has definitely been easier as a student, if only because you can just go talk to them. Some students have also been frustrated with similar issues. I do think it’s temporary though, all of the administrative staff (who were wonderful) left at the same time last summer, and people who replaced them don’t know the job nearly as well. We’re supposed to be getting 2 of them back from leave soon, meaning things should be much more organized by September. 

Lots of context you didn’t need there but basically: yes but it’s temporary

2 hours ago, bp21 said:

Hi, I’m also a dal student (2nd year). Dealing with admin has definitely been easier as a student, if only because you can just go talk to them. Some students have also been frustrated with similar issues. I do think it’s temporary though, all of the administrative staff (who were wonderful) left at the same time last summer, and people who replaced them don’t know the job nearly as well. We’re supposed to be getting 2 of them back from leave soon, meaning things should be much more organized by September. 

Lots of context you didn’t need there but basically: yes but it’s temporary

Thanks for helping us out during our applications :) how do you find the Dal program? 

Congratulations to those of you who got accepted! I got into U of T & patiently waiting the details of my offer of admission ☺️

If you didn’t get in this year, I know it’s disheartening but I hope you can find some ways to feel encouraged! Use this time to work on your application & Keep pushing! Your time will come ?

On 4/1/2020 at 7:54 PM, JennSed said:

Just curious how you all decided you wanted to pursue SLP! Anyone care to share their stories? ?

Hey, I'm curious to hear everyone's stories too!

I had considered both SLP and Audiology when I was planning my undergrad degree and I actually thought I wanted to pursue audiology until I volunteered in a speech and hearing clinic. When I was at this clinic they told me that you'll know pretty quick which career you will be a better fit for and it was very true! I learnt so much about CIs and all kinds of hearing aids but I definitely found myself more drawn to the processes and techniques used by the SLPs. They encouraged me to judge what fit best to my personality and I am so glad that I had that support in making my decision. After being in that clinic and being 99% sure SLP was for me, I volunteered in a private clinic where I saw lots of treatment for apraxia and language therapy for kids on the spectrum. I also volunteered at a hospital in acute care and stroke rehab and absolutely loved it. Between all three of the places I observed/volunteered, I became 150% sure it was what I wanted to do!

Another big plus for me was that there are lots of SLP jobs in rural areas and I plan to live rurally when I am done school. The list goes on - there are lots of amazing things about the career but those are my key points!

2 hours ago, Cjspeechie said:

Hey, I'm curious to hear everyone's stories too!

I had considered both SLP and Audiology when I was planning my undergrad degree and I actually thought I wanted to pursue audiology until I volunteered in a speech and hearing clinic. When I was at this clinic they told me that you'll know pretty quick which career you will be a better fit for and it was very true! I learnt so much about CIs and all kinds of hearing aids but I definitely found myself more drawn to the processes and techniques used by the SLPs. They encouraged me to judge what fit best to my personality and I am so glad that I had that support in making my decision. After being in that clinic and being 99% sure SLP was for me, I volunteered in a private clinic where I saw lots of treatment for apraxia and language therapy for kids on the spectrum. I also volunteered at a hospital in acute care and stroke rehab and absolutely loved it. Between all three of the places I observed/volunteered, I became 150% sure it was what I wanted to do!

Another big plus for me was that there are lots of SLP jobs in rural areas and I plan to live rurally when I am done school. The list goes on - there are lots of amazing things about the career but those are my key points!

That's so awesome!! Thank you for sharing your story!! Do you see yourself working more with children or adults in the future? I always thought I wanted to work with adults because I always felt I wasn't that great with kids, but then I got a job working with kids on the spectrum as well and it changed how I felt about it and increased my confidence working with them too so now I'm torn! I figure I'll get a better feel for what I prefer once I do my practicums :) 

Hello! I've narrowed down my decision to either UofA or Mcmaster. I am from Alberta so UofA if definitely closer for me but the adventure of going to Mcmaster is keeping me from being sure on either decision. I was wondering if anyone could give me any input about either program, or if anyone from Alberta is choosing to go to Ontario or stay in Alberta and why?? Any information would be great on either school because I am having such a hard time deciding. 

28 minutes ago, Jave said:

Hello! I've narrowed down my decision to either UofA or Mcmaster. I am from Alberta so UofA if definitely closer for me but the adventure of going to Mcmaster is keeping me from being sure on either decision. I was wondering if anyone could give me any input about either program, or if anyone from Alberta is choosing to go to Ontario or stay in Alberta and why?? Any information would be great on either school because I am having such a hard time deciding. 

Hey! I’m actually in a similar situation. I got in to McGill and Western. I’m actually leaning toward moving out of province! I think Ontario is full of unique experiences but I’ve already completed my undergrad close to home so I think moving to another province is a good life experience itself. I think it will allow for new opportunities and experiences that I won’t get living close to or at home :) I hope my experience helps! Good luck to all and congratulations on getting in :)

Has anyone here gotten into any SLP Canadian schools with a subgpa of 3.4-3.5? I applied two times and received all rejections; it's frustrating! Western says they typically accept those with a sub-gpa of 3.3-3.5 and higher, but I think this is too good to be true.