2020 Canadian SLP Thread

Congrats to everyone on their acceptance :)! I got waitlisted for uOttawa. Does anyone have any experience with being on the waitlist? Can't seem to find any feedback from last year. Also, just out of curiosity, is anyone planning to decline their offers for Ottawa? 

Edited by Slp2020 applicant

27 minutes ago, SLP-2020 said:

Does anyone know if Dalhousie sends acceptances in waves or is it acceptance, waitlist & then rejections ? 

Last year acceptances for Dal were sent out on April 1 and I received a waitlist email on April 2 so I'm thinking they do send them out in order of acceptance-waitlist-rejection. I'm not positive though!

Hey,

I accepted my offer at U of T and just received the admissions letter, it says under the checklist to satisfy or offer may be withdrawn:

One of my pre-req grades was lower than the required B+ and I must complete an approved course in that pre-req as well all other pre-req planned or in progress at a B+.

At the time of application, I had never indicated any pre-reqs were planned or in progress. Do they want me to take it again before the deadline of August 1st? I wasn't aware that this was a conditional offer as the first 3 emails sent out did not mention this at all, I had assumed they were willing to overlook the mark as I had addressed it in the statement.

Anyone have any idea about this?

7 minutes ago, SlelP said:

Hey,

I accepted my offer at U of T and just received the admissions letter, it says under the checklist to satisfy or offer may be withdrawn:

One of my pre-req grades was lower than the required B+ and I must complete an approved course in that pre-req as well all other pre-req planned or in progress at a B+.

At the time of application, I had never indicated any pre-reqs were planned or in progress. Do they want me to take it again before the deadline of August 1st? I wasn't aware that this was a conditional offer as the first 3 emails sent out did not mention this at all, I had assumed they were willing to overlook the mark as I had addressed it in the statement.

I remember emailing them about his during the application process and they said we must have a B+ in all courses before the start day of school, you could get accepted without it but you do need it 

58 minutes ago, SlelP said:

Hey,

I inquired about this since I messed up physiology in first year and ended with a B (and you can't retake classes at my university). They said I could still apply with that mark, but if I were accepted I must have a B+ in that prerequisite in order to receive a clear offer of admission. They definitely don't make any exceptions to the B+ requirement. Maybe look into Athabasca, they have online classes and they're quite easy! Good luck and congratulations!

28 minutes ago, CSD said:

I inquired about this since I messed up physiology in first year and ended with a B (and you can't retake classes at my university). They said I could still apply with that mark, but if I were accepted I must have a B+ in that prerequisite in order to receive a clear offer of admission. They definitely don't make any exceptions to the B+ requirement. Maybe look into Athabasca, they have online classes and they're quite easy! Good luck and congratulations!

Thanks for that information, this has taken a quick turn and has become a bit stressful. I think I'll have to look at the options at Athabasca, have you personally taken courses there? I'm hoping they will be easy but there is a lot riding on it.

I just wanted to reach out to the U of A waitlisted people and see if anyone has heard of anyone being accepted yet? I doubt it but just wanted to check. Congrats to all of you have been accepted :)

Edited by EagerSpeechie2019

20 minutes ago, SlelP said:

Thanks for that information, this has taken a quick turn and has become a bit stressful. I think I'll have to look at the options at Athabasca, have you personally taken courses there? I'm hoping they will be easy but there is a lot riding on it.

Yes I have taken a few classes there. The classes are designed to be completed in 6 months, but it is possible to complete them sooner since the classes are self-paced. The hardest part is the amount of business days it takes for marking and to receive feedback. It can take 10 business days for assignments and papers to be marked, and up to 6 weeks for your final mark in the class to be processed after you write your final exam. The classes and marking system are quite easy though. You'd only need a 76% for a B+.

3 hours ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

I just wanted to reach out to the U of A waitlisted people and see if anyone has heard of anyone being accepted yet? I doubt it but just wanted to check. Congrats to all of you have been accepted :)

Hey, I haven't heard anything back yet. based off of the letter I think the earliest people would start hearing back is on the 15th. 

43 minutes ago, SLPhopeful127 said:

Hey, I haven't heard anything back yet. based off of the letter I think the earliest people would start hearing back is on the 15th. 

That's what I was thinking as well... just having a hard time waiting haha  Thanks :)

13 hours ago, speech2020eva said:

So western got back to me saying I'm midway in the second quadrant- does anyone have info on how big these quadrants are and what my chances are? 

Do you mind pming me your stats?? I’m in the second quadrant as well but no idea where. 

7 hours ago, SlelP said:

Hey, I feel you! U of T is asking me to retake physiology and unfortunately, my university is not offering it this summer. I also looked into Athabasca but I don’t think I would have enough time to complete their full year course in 3 months given the current pandemic situation and the time needed to schedule test dates with a proctor. At this point, I’d rather go to western university! It was my first choice and I heard lots of amazing things about their program from seasoned SLP business owners and clinical supervisors. Apparently, I’m in the top first quadrant of the waiting list so I think it will be okay :)

I hope it works out for you as well! You’re almost there so just keep going. 

Edited by _reeldeel

1 hour ago, ayaamz said:

For those who have accepted their offers from Dal- have you received a reply confirming they got it?

I accepted mine yesterday afternoon but have yet to receive confirmation that they've received the email. I'm sure they will soon!

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had a better understanding of what it means to "provisionally accept" an offer. I was accepted to one of the schools but also wait-listed at another. If I "provisionally accept" the offer, I will still be on the waiting list for the other school? Does it also mean that if I "provisionally accept" that school before April 16, I still have the spot regardless? Please let me know if anyone has more insight on this! 

Thank you :) 

1 hour ago, SpeechiePeachie123 said:

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had a better understanding of what it means to "provisionally accept" an offer. I was accepted to one of the schools but also wait-listed at another. If I "provisionally accept" the offer, I will still be on the waiting list for the other school? Does it also mean that if I "provisionally accept" that school before April 16, I still have the spot regardless? Please let me know if anyone has more insight on this! 

I have a provisional acceptance to a school in Ireland. The provisional acceptance should be outlined in your offer. For example, mine needs the transcripts and degree from my university with an average of 3.0/4.0 sent before I arrive in Ireland I.e. before the semester starts. 

If you don't meet the qualifications of the acceptance, they could deny you entry to the program. I can accept my offer, but I have to meet the conditions before I arrive at the school. Therefore, you don't have the spot regardless, you need to meet the qualifications outlined in your provisional acceptance. Another example is the people who posted earlier about needing to get a b+ for toronto. They probably have a provisional acceptance dependent on them achieving that grade in the class before the school year starts. As long as you do that, you have the spot. But if you dont do that they can deny you entry. (Provisional basically means that they have accepted you, but they reserve the right to change it)

Personally I dont know if you accept an offer whether u will still be on the waitlist for another school. I mean, I doubt the schools communicate with each other so I dont see why not but I dont know for sure. 

If you are unsure, I would email the school w the provisional acceptance. Always better to know for sure. Hope that helped. 

2 hours ago, SpeechiePeachie123 said:

Hi Everyone!

Hey! From what I have read from the schools in Ontario and on the forums, if you provisionally accept an offer, you will still be on the waitlist for other schools until April 30th.On April 30th, if the offer is still provisionally accepted, it will automatically become a firm acceptance and you will be taken off the waitlist of other school! I hope this helps :)

Does anyone know if there's a way to decline waitlist for McMaster? I would think there should be so that other people on the waitlist can move up, but ORPAS doesn't give you the option to do so, and I'm looking on my student account but there doesn't seem to be an option either. Thanks!